Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. greaser

greaser

Jer, you've done an awesome job bringing that little puppy back to life!
    Now you can stretch Snewp's legs a little and let her bark.
    Glad you're going to give the P. O.'s wife a ride soon... special trip!!
    Have FUN!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Denns1989 likes this.
  2. YJ4000

YJ4000

That looks great! You have come a long way. I know it's spring but it doesn't feel like it. You must be getting antsy to go for a nice drive.

Ryan.

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. Antsy would be an understatement ;-) It was -15'C yesterday morning... good god - Dry roads & driving weather cannot come soon enough ! Man I want to drive this thing !!

Two friends just came by for a Snewp's checkup, one is a retired auto shop teacher who still has a couple cars (and was the previous owner of my wife's Model T ) & when he was a young man had his own 32 3 window with a nailhead in it... he knows his way around a hot rod - First time for him to see Snewpee - he had a great trip down memory lane, smiling from ear to ear - after I fired it up & drove it forward I asked him if the motor sounds okay, he smiled, nodded his head and said " Just fine, sounds real good" feels good to "get the nod" from a guy like that :)

4. Thanks again for the advice, following the steps in the link mentioned worked out very, very well, I was lucky as the car was stored inside for 40+ years I didn't have to deal with much oxidation (never seen the sun), rather just filthy dirty, it was a blessing that the car wasn't washed in all those years, I think it helped protect the paint ironically. Two Clay bars were used & I wouldn't think about reusing either one of them, Meguiar's #7 is a bizarre product... talk about "instant" results ! I didn't want to wax it after the #7 application it looked so good, but I did. My video was to grainy to show the results, the before & afters below show a difference !

Rear Window Before:
    P1050016.JPG

Rear Window After:

20150329_132102.jpg

And then Right Rear Corner Before :

P1050019.JPG

And Right Rear Corner After:

20150329_132045.jpg

WC145, Horror Business, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

WOW, what a difference!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

That makes a big difference

7. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Great find and great job OP.

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

man, that's looking great!

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

That's unbelievable. I want to try that on my Comet!

10. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!! I think I'll try it on my gasser. It was inside for 43 years and has been inside for the past 4 years since I bought it.

You are doing a fantastic job. Keep it up.

11. Agreed, when I started applying the #7 & then buffed a spot - I was shocked, I looked over at my buddy who was working on a different section & he had a perplexed look on his face... we were both stunned to see the old paint coming back like it did, like I say in the video, obviously scratches & chips are what they are, but the existing paint exceeded what I ever thought it would - my buddy said " it's almost to shiny, at the cross over where it looks out of place with the rest of the car" I never thought I would have that issue !

WC145 likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that was three days of worth while reading to get caught up this one!

What a rad car, and project as well. I thought I'd chime in and help you add to the spread sheet. I'd have to double check my stash but your kick panel lights look to be the b pilar interior lights from the donor 47 ford :)

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also im curious what you used for the under coating, is it brush it spray on?

14. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

I would like to know this as well.

The paint looks fantastic too!

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Wow did the paint ever come up nice.

Just a note about the interior, you should be able to replace the warped backing panels without damaging the vinyl (depending on age), fairly easy. Just something to keep in mind if they ever get to the point where they need replacing.

I hope to see this car in person this summer.

16. I was fairly certain that's where those lights must have came from, thanks for the confirmation !

It was just spray on (rattle can) embarrased to admit it was just some stuff on sale at Crappy Tire, just can't rememeber which one, I will check the can in my shop this weekend, but it was one of these, pretty sure it was the first one.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rubberized-rockerguard-undercoating-0477935p.html#.VRtHDPnF9IE

I don't think it was this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rubberized-asphalt-undercoating-0477904p.html#.VRtIU_nF9IE

It dried up with a flat finish, the picture I posted was right after I was done, this is a crappy picture but shows what it was like after it dried..

20150313_221947.jpg

I was originally going to replace some of the backer boards but when I seen that they were contact cemented to the backerboard I got scared off, I had to add a few more cupped interior screws (there were already some used) but I have it laying down decent for now, but I'm sure your right, with some patience & a razor blade I could probably get them separated... I hope you can see Snewp's this summer, looking forward to sharing !

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just took a photo for you to compare :) image.jpg

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. The paint really came back to life! Looks better all the time!

Denns1989 likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh and I didn't unwrap it but I think the one for the other side has a switch built into

20. That's it for sure ! Thanks, yes one of mine has a hole where a slide switch could fit, but since they are hooked up to door switches there is nothing in the switch opening. They made use of that 47 donor car ! - front & rear suspension/axles, crossmember, gas tank, pedals, rims, interior lights, rearview mirror & even the floor !

Tim likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

To cool, is your rear view mirror tinted? Mines tinted sort of a blue hue

22. I have never noticed a blue tint, I'm referring to the interior rear view mirror, not sure if you might have thought I was referring to an exterior rear view mirror (Snewp's doesn't have any exterior mirror's) you can see the mirror mounted to top of dash rail in this picture, by looking at replacement mirrors for a 47 this mirror looks the same as far as I can tell.

20150314_224820.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup that's the same Mirror :) the tinting is very subtle I don't know that I even noticed it until I was trying to get it really clean, I'm curious if its not some sort of anti glare coating? Either way cool to see the parts car thought taken that far!

My freind J had a whole bunch of 46 ford under his model A uncluding the column shift but nothing like big snoop here

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. Torchie

Torchie

Looks great Jer. You have done a fantastic job.
    Torchie

Denns1989 likes this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Where did you get your headers from? And did you have to clearance them to get around the steering? I'm considering swapping to similar headers, Speedway makes a set that are very resonably priced but they say they often don't fit in an A frame due to width, wondering how yours fit.

Also, great job on the paint, it looks shockingly good yet.

Denns1989 likes this.
  26. Those are the Speedway "Econo" headers, I thought no matter what I was going to have to modify to fit so I didn't want to shell out lots of money for something I was going to hack up... on the left side I had to flatten the pipe in about 1/4 " to clear the column & on the right side it fit but I notched the xmember where it met the frame a small bit just to make connecting a pipe easier... I will try to find close ups to post for you to see, overall they fit amazing, they were on in less than an hour.

Squablow likes this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the info, I'm in the same boat as you are as far as that goes, and they look right at home in there, I think I might go with those for my car as well.

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Aside from the close ups I have back on pg.19, her are 2 other left side pics to show the install, these might show the modification a bit better....

20150215_112719.jpg 20150215_125713.jpg

I was impressed with the quality, they lined up to ports perfectly...

29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

So freakin' cool....I absolutely love this car!....it puts me in the same frame of mind as a kid pressed up to a candy store window....I personally love that interior...old school at it's best:D

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  30. Thanks for the compliment :) My buddy (machinist who turned Snewps rear brake drums) comments on the interior every time he see's the car, last weekend he sat in the car right away & said " I can't stop looking at those seats, I just love the feel of this interior " makes me happy that it brings up memories / feelings with some people, good stuff !

volvobrynk likes this.