Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 Lincoln Cosmo

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by skidmarc, Feb 27, 2013.

1. shooter6

shooter6

I just saw this thread & you may have figured this out, but I believe the 3 &1/2 front 5 rear, you mentioned while discussing the suspension, is the measurement thats normally used for chopping the top. Could you have possibly confused that with the suspension lowering? Cool ride by the way!

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Honestly, I doubt very much that he is confused between lowering a cars suspension and chopping a top.
    Is there anyone out there that gets that confused?? :eek:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. skidmarc

skidmarc

I've now change those measurements on my opening post. I did mean suspension but for the life of me not sure why I had 5", I think I read it somewhere for a mercury. After measuring the car I could lower the front 2 1/2" and the rear 3" - 3 1/2". That would put the chassis rails around 4 1/2" off the road. Of course once I put 6+ people in it it will be significantly lower. I have since found out for those that are interested that the spindle uprights and steering arms on the big Cosmo are the same as the smaller mercury which would allow me to use Fatman or jamco parts to lower whilst retaining stock spring height for ride comfort. According to the factory workshop manual only brakes, springs and sway bar are different between 49-51 Merc and Lincoln range.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. skidmarc

skidmarc

Thought I'd put a few photos up. The car has now been vinned for the New Zealand car system. I have found a lot of cracks in the frame so the frame is coming out to be repaired soon. I have temporarily put some 46 pickup rims and caps on the car because I had a good set of 205/16 pickup tyres lying around. I have also received the 3x2 Austin industries intake from Ken. This is an open plane design and incorporates the filler, breather and fuel pump. I will have to mount the generator to the side. I have bought a few gauges, spare dash parts, trunk lock etc aswell as two more engines thanks to Hamber Cafone.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427500620.462858.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427500640.928140.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427500656.329281.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427500797.541731.jpg

5. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Any additional Info on that manifold? I'd be interested in one for sure!!!!

6. skidmarc

skidmarc

Hi Lincolnlog 337 manifolds are now available from H&H Flatheads. I think mike is reproducing all of Kens manifolds. 4bbl, 2x2 and 3x2. I think he may even be getting ready to produce heads.

7. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I am surprised at how much I like the white version of Ronald Reagan. I would tidy up all the gaps and panels, lower a little and have several versions of hub caps for when the mood strikes. I would run radials just to improve the handling of the big boat, gas shocks and maybe bigger sway bars too.

8. j.piggs

j.piggs
    from spokane

here's my 1950

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and 1954 rocket 98 like this.
  9. Cosmo 51

Cosmo 51

I realize this is an old thread, but I just picked up the 51 Cosmo. All original. Runs and drives great! My problem is the hydrolic windows. I’m thinking of doing the electric conversion. Does anyone know of a supplier or what electric motor set up would work out the best?

chryslerfan55 and 3thirty6point7 like this.
  10. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

Here’s Grandmas 49 Cosmo vert. 63K miles, complete resto, 337 with Austin heads, manifold, two Holley94’s, beehive oil filter, all kinds of finned aluminum dress up under the hood. Cars are really rare- my convertible with 3 speed, overdrive, factory dealer installed heater, hydraulic windows, seat, and top, new interior, seven entire hand dyed, hand picked cowhides inside. All new window and seat cylinders,hydraulic system converted to ATF from brake fluid, new 6V halogen lights, led bulbs in all lights, 6 volt to 12 volt converter to power Moon tach, and 30 years of love.
    Gramps was the accountant for the Lincoln dealer here. Doctor and his wife got a hardtop for him, vert for her. Took em both back to dealer in a month and gramps bought both at dealer cost. Been in family since then.
    With convertible top, options, my ar is one of 12 left in USA. Floats down the rad in overdrive at 65-70 mph like a dream. 13 mpg or so.
    I have all the sources and factory manuals if anyone needs any kind of part numbers or reference help- just ask Kevin!
    Third Lincoln I’ve had- now if I could find a Mark LT 150 in new condition, I’d die happy!

Attached Files:

11. I have a set of 4 full moon hubcaps for these Lincolns here on the HAMB in the parts for sale.

12. Michael Shorter

Michael Shorter

I am looking at a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan to buy but can't find the vin number. It has a Illinois title since 2014 and before that a Pennsylvania title. can anyone tell me where to look. Not on A pillar not on cowl and not on the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

13. @vtectgal I love your car, I guess great minds think alike. I have a 1949 9EL Lincoln myself except it’s a project ( in need of restoration that is)

14. gatz

gatz

IIRC, I thought someone mentioned the vin is stamped on the frame...maybe on the driver's side close to where the frame starts its kick-up to the front.
    Let me ask a friend that had a 50

15. gatz

gatz

16. Michael Shorter

Michael Shorter

Thanks for the help! I found it on the firewall were it's supposed to be. The plate had been painted and hard to see but i got the paint off it matched the Title and engine number so I now own it!

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, pwschuh and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. gatz

gatz

18. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

19. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

Reds has headers and Smithy’s has mufflers that are perfect.

20. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

Rarest is the 49 Cosmo convertible with factory heater. Mine is one of 12 per Factory numbers researched.

21. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Ya mean the most expensive Lincoln line had heaters as an option?