Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

So Tudor were you reasonably happy with the performance of the Fuji system? Sounds like a good idea to get a few old hoods or something to practice on to get the adjustments and the application sorted out.

2. Wow you are worried about the health hazards of isocyanates and then you spray with out even wearing a respirator? Regardless of how little overspray there was if you can smell the paint when painting bad shit is going in your lungs and there is still very bad shit in enamels and their reducers.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  3. TudorTumor

TudorTumor

My problems were all due to lack of experience.
    I put off painting the car last winter because there was no way I could ventilate the garage and maintain the heat in it at the same time. Now that I've done it I realize I could have painted with the doors closed. I used no fans.
    Yes, I was very impressed with the Turbine system.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. James Curl

James Curl

If you have a gas water heater in your garage painting without evacuating the fumes could be catastrophic.

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One poster asked this question, I wonder if these Sprayfine systems from Turbine Products are any good ?

They are good and yes you can spray water base with their guns with no problems.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

6. TudorTumor

TudorTumor

Don't have a water heater, and would shut the furnace off to remove ignition source till the fumes subside. I figure 5 quartz lights would keep it warm enough overnight. Then ventilate in the morning and fire the furnace back up.

7. Brokenjack

Brokenjack

Not sure if this conversation ran it's course, or if it moved to another location. Anyway I just bought a Fuji Mini Mite 4. I plan on spraying some Nason Ful-Thane with it. Anyone have any tips on gun setup and mix ratios/slow reducers? I'm a newb with only one car painting experience about 18 years ago, but I really want to learn and practice to do a good job.
    Thanks for any info.

8. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Finally got around to painting my son's wagon with my Fuji HVLP turbine & sprayfine gun. White basecoat + HOK abalone metalflake. Tons of clear. Ran out of clear. Gotta buy more tomorrow

Attached Files:

9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

You have the best advice available here as well as the precautions on the paint can and you wore no respirator. I did full time pulmonary function testing for 3 years mostly with asbestos cases. They all thought they were safe, time however is the real truth bearer. Do the right thing, wear protection.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

OK I have to confess I purchased a HVLP Turbine System from Harbor Freight and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works fine and the price was around $110.00 dollars and I have used to to shoot many different things.

I know the guys who hate Harbor Freight won't like this!!!

Just my opinion. Jimbo

11. openedeyes

openedeyes
    from Caribbean

Hey guys i bought a Titan Ts50 4 stage turbine and after pulling the trigger i realised the spec sheet said that it only pushes out 82 CFM. Thats way lower than the Spray fine 3 stage motor 134 CFM. I feel like just buying the spray fine unit instead. @aerometalworker, do you think this turbine will suffice along with the spray fine gun just for some hobbyist automotive painting. BTW i believe i understand why the sprayfine gun gave you a few issues. There's an error in the diagram on page 7 of the user manual. The Spring Plate is shown in reverse. There are 2 bearings on the Air Cap that aren't shown in the diagram. When the diagram is followed on Page 7 and installed the Spring Plate with the bumps facing forward, it didn't seat correctly with the Air Cap.

12. OzzieGT

OzzieGT

Hi,
    Does anyone know what became of this thread - I was interested in it given the comparison of the guns but noticed that aerometalworker seemed to drop out of the thread back in May. Does anyone know if he is OK?

13. Alanine

Alanine

Very interested to see this thread. It sounds like the overspray minimization of turbine systems would make them ideal for shooting in a garage - is that right? I'm looking at the Axis Citation system, which drives both an Accuspray Model 10 gun and a supplied-air respirator. Anyone have any experience of this setup?

One thing I am not clear on is how the nozzle size of a turbine gun relates to the recommended nozzle/tip size you see on the paint product technical sheet (which I think is for compressor-driven guns). It sounds like with a pressure-pot in these turbine systems, the nozzle/tip used is typically smaller than for a compressor gun - is that right? I'd be looking to shoot a single-stage urethane, but would also like to shoot epoxy primer.

Thanks!

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My paint jobs were never anything to brag about. I am looking for a used Turbine unit, at least I can blame it on the method of painting. My friends will think I used a garden sprayer anyway.Hopefully this thread will continue and publish the home made unit plans.

15. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Hello All,
    Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth, I have been dealing with a lot of hamily health issues but everything is just fine with me. Thanks for the concern though! Yes indeed I did do a bunch of gun and setup testing and still have to finalize some of it so anything else can make sense of my notes. Until then if anyone has specific questions fire away!
    -Aaron

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I found this in a local pawn shop today for $200. :)
    HVLP 001 (2).jpg HVLP 002 (2).jpg HVLP 003 (2).jpg

17. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

it is a good unit but the stage 4 is way better it atomizes the paint better so way less orange peel

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's a 2 stage, but I have a brand new 3 stage Ametek turbine that I will slip into the case.
    I got it for nothing ,new in the box from a guy who went out of business repairing vacuums.
    I believe the 3 stage turbine will be more than enough.
    A 4 stage turbine can be expensive and for the most part is overkill.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Out with the 2 stage and in with the 3 stage :D
    turbine 001 (2).jpg

20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Wayne - you have done a great job painting cars (like a 40 Willys coupe) with the turbine sprayer, and you were the one that got me interested in trying the system. It works really well, so thanks for the technical help you gave me!

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Got the new 3 stage turbine installed and it's ready to run. Should be a good upgrade in performance.
    The cooling air for the motor and turbine housing is separate within a sealed compartment that vents through the louvers on the sides.
    The intake air for the turbine comes through the filter on the back.
    HVLP mods 001 (2).jpg HVLP mods 002 (2).jpg HVLP mods 003 (2).jpg HVLP mods 004 (2).jpg HVLP mods 005 (2).jpg

22. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

The 3 stage should be just fine. How did you attach the outlet fitting to the volute housing of the turbine? It can get a tad toasty there. What gun did you get with it? Lemmer ususally used a Sicmo clone.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The housing on the 2 stage turbine was aluminum as you can see. The outlet fitting was siliconed in and held with 2 screws.
    On the Ametek the housing is plastic so I just drilled the holes for the screws and then generously applied some red RTV high temp silicone to help seal and secure it.
    I probably didn't need to but after it was screwed and glued I wrapped a little aluminum foil duct tape around it.
    It isn't going anywhere :)
    I didn't get a gun with it, I have a Sprayfine gun with the top cup and may try to pick up another gun for primer.

24. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

its all good steve, here is a gun finish with the Fuji 4 stage gravity feed pressure gun

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  25. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Nicely done! Were you using the latest Fuji "T" gun? If so what was your nozzle and aircap setup? I kept coming back to the 1.0mm nozzle and either a 1.0 or 0.8 aircap on mine. I did see a little more even finish on SS metallics by using a "B" size aircap from the Apollo 7500 gun on the Fuji "T" gun.

26. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

Air Cap Set #2H - For Artists, very fine work, small surfaces, touch up, shading. Stains, Thinner, Zinc, Spraytan Solution. .7mm (0.25") Very Fine Output I am using the x series gun and the q4 gold turbine . the pic I posted was the first 2 coats . I wet sanded and applied 4 more and it turned out even better

27. Shot using an Apollo gun and a Sprayfine 4 stage turbine.

20150228_152215.jpg 20150228_152200.jpg

Some panels painted with the turbine and some with an HVLP. You cannot tell the difference.
    FB_IMG_1426386223217.jpg

jack_pine likes this.
  28. dubie

dubie

I sprayed my truck with 3 coats of Hot Rod Flatz diamond blue metallic with a TP Tools HVLP turbine and it laid down perfectly. A lot of guys say they experience issues when spraying a satin finish but this flowed out beautifully. I fully believe that anyone can paint a car with a turbine set up

Attached Files:

• HRF2.jpg
      HRF2.jpg
      File size:
      119.5 KB
      Views:
  29. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

32v,
    Thanks for the setup information!
    Daddy-O,
    Which Apollo gun did you use and what nozzle/aircap. Beautiful finish!

30. .
    14278191830601380441473.jpg
    I used the Apollo 7500 gun with the B air cap and 1.0 needle. Medium reducer shot at about 68 degrees.
    It was shot in the dead of winter and to maintain temp I couldn't ventilate properly. I didn't so much as crack a window. Try that with a standard HVLP.

I picked up the turbine, gun and 50' of hose brand new off eBay for about $800.

20150225_151933.jpg

Just Gary and jack_pine like this.