Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian versions - good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

Here's another.....'57 Meteor Rideau 4dr hardtop. Has the 312cid with manual o/d transmission. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427332611.765398.jpg

koolkemp, cool57 and MOTOV8N like this.
  2. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Those '57 Meteor grills are deadly cool!!

51 BIRD likes this.
  3. 100_2623.JPG 100_2624.JPG
    61 348 tri power 3 speed column posi Laurentian.

koolkemp, lewk, rumblegutz and 4 others like this.
  4. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

5. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Rare? How about a Frontenac 2dr wagon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

koolkemp, RipBowl and Maverick Daddy like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yowsa!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm still trying to find some M-3 trim for my '51 p/u, I already have a sweet 3/4 ton tailgate

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It does get a little cold in some parts of the country but not so much around here. I would rather be cold as it's not too hard to get warm but it is really hard to get colder when it gets too hot. I'll probably get all the heat when I die so I don't need it now!

9. A long time ago the was a '41/47 Dodge truck for sale with the Canadian front sheet metal. I wanted that truck so bad I could taste it. man that was slick.

[​IMG]

10. 64 Acadian wagon 283 2 speed 14" 5 bolt wheels power back window and maple leafs on all the emblems
    Cool car that should have kept
    My wedding car in 88

image.jpg

koolkemp and Maverick Daddy like this.
  11. Got a question about Canadian cars, maybe it sounds like a dumb question but it is a question anyway. Did you fellas have the heater delete option like we had here?

12. brad2v

brad2v

'beaner, technically yes, the heater was an option, but I can't imagine it was very popular to not get one, with the exception of factory race car stuff. Max wedges, 409 cars and the like.

13. Just curious. I bought an old chevy once when I lived in the NW that was heater delete (and it was not a race model) and it seemed odd that they sold cars like that there. Anyway I was just wondering.

Thanks

14. brad2v

brad2v

As I think of it, it's possible on the west coast, but NOBODY here on the frozen prairies woulda bought a car to drive daily sans heater.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't think I have seen a Canadian car with no heater, at least one that was made after heaters came in. On the other hand, air conditioning was not often seen until they made it standard equipment. By that I mean, before the 80s. Maybe 10% of cars had air and then it would only be the more expensive models.

belyea_david likes this.
  16. I am thinking that it may have been a cheapster that originally bought the car, base 6 cylinder '52 Ford, no ash tray, no radio, not heater. 28 and damp is still pretty damned uncomfortable, not as cold as 30 below but still pretty uncomfortable. :eek:

Off topic not only for the thread but the board but never the less my dad bought a '50s model DKW car when I was a baby. I had seen pics of it. All the pics I ever saw was with the front glass rolled down and the rest of the glass frosted over. So I asked my sis about it and she said that it didn't have a heater. You would think that cars from that part of the world would have a heater.

17. I have a 38 ford deluxe from Regina with 67000 original miles one repaint in the early 70s. The story is the original owner ordered it with heater delete and parked it every September until spring. Probably the reason it still exists.
    Anybody from Regina recognize this car? image.jpg

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

1949 Meteor Grill, Stock with center tooth chrome grill surround, 2nd photo with tooth removed.

SAM_3709.JPG DSCF0604.JPG chrome grill surround, Custom with tooth removed

MOTOV8N and 51 BIRD like this.
  19. town sedan

town sedan

There was a norther Valiant/Dart for sale here in Kansas City several years ago. Don't know if it ever changed hands. As I understand it the owner was very proud of his rare vehicle. -Dave.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

No such thing as heater delete in 1938. Heaters were JUST coming in at that time. You could not buy a car from the factory with a heater, they were a dealer installed accessory, or an aftermarket accessory installed by the local garage.

There were a few cars of that era that had no heater but most of them got one put in eventually. I have seen a few that were of the wrong year or make for the car, cobbled in by an amateur. But not many cars that had no heater at all.

1937 - 1938 was when heaters became a big deal, judging by the ads in MoToR, the garage trade magazine. For those years it seems heaters were advertised on every second page. Before that heaters may have been available but most people did without.

When I said I never saw a car without a heater after they came in, I was thinking of postwar cars where the heater was installed by the factory.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I knew I'd seen that front end somewhere before

449998-1361825066-f0f205699c7ea9dd2f4cba724ce48902.jpg

22. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Oh god, I think I just threw up.......

23. So meteor is a merc? Or it is a model like a Monterey or a Victoria are models?

It has always seemed odd to me that things like heaters and ash trays were optional, or rear bumpers on pickup trucks.

Some I guess is understandable, like rear bumpers on pickups. In my mind a heater being an option has always been really bizarre to me, especially where it gets really cold.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  24. Rochie

Rochie

Beaner,
    Mercury and Meteor are the same as Plymouth and Dodge, same manufacturer, separate car lines, not models of one or the other

25. Thanks. I am not the world's most familiar on Canadian cars, I know a little bit about some of them. I do know that some of the Canadian cars are real lookers compared to the US counter part.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Canada is bigger than the US but has about 1/10 the population. So dealerships were somewhat spread out, and did not sell as many cars as their US counterparts. Many towns would support a Ford dealer or a Mercury dealer but not both.

Meteor and Monarch were Ford's efforts to give Mercury dealers a cheaper car to sell (Meteor) and Ford dealers a medium price car to sell (Monarch).

Mercury trucks were an effort to get truck sales in towns that had a Mercury dealer but no Ford dealer.

Meteor was basically a Ford with fancy trim and a Mercury motor (at least in the flathead days).

Monarch was basically a Mercury with different trim, possibly a little cheaper than a Merc.

Eventually, in the sixties, it became customary for all car makes to offere everything from a compact to a luxury model (Ford - Falcon to LTD) (Mercury - Comet to Grand Marquis). By this time the Meteor and Monarch were redundant, Meteor continued for a while as a mid size model and I believe was sold in the US and Canada but Monarch was dropped.

27. Did your bubbletop come originally with the 348? Nice car, I had one when I was a teenager, 261,3speed.

28. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Just got this for my project

Attached Files:

29. No unfortunately not but I tried my best to make it as close as possible to a real one, but I still have a few details to add or change. Runs and drives excellent though. It decodes as a 261 six cylinder 3 speed standard from the factory. 100_2660.JPG 100_2663.JPG 100_2660.JPG [ 100_2663.JPG

Attached Files:

MOTOV8N and Copper Top like this.
  30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Saw this in Wendover last year; first one I'd ever seen. Loved it, not for sale, powered by a six:
    60Pontiac2drWagon.jpg

Zapato and MOTOV8N like this.