Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Single Stage Paint Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Hey is anybody still shooting single stage paint? Need to shoot my bumpers and grille, but I haven't painted since the Centari days. What's a good catalyzed product for an amateur backyard painter?

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Centari is still an option, I can buy it at my local supplier! Of course, using a hardener is recommended. I use ChromaOne from DuPont nowadays for most of my single stage stuff. Shoots very similar to Centari, too. Modern color choices, too.

3. I used acrylic enamel on my car.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane with hardener in either. for a simple quick job Napa has a good line of single stage.

5. PPG has a good commercial grade single stage urethane called Delfleet - very durable and easy to spray. DuPont (now Axalta) has Nasson-another easy to spray single stage

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This is Nason single stage shot with a $10 Harbor Freight gravity feed gun. I wanted to see what I could do with a cheaper paint and the cheapest gun I could find. I posted this picture recently on another thread about 54 Chevys. I have tried several of the cheaper urethane single stage paints and I prefer them all to acrylic enamel as they dry faster and I use less pressure at the gun. Less overspray, less mess, and the faster drying, means that you do not have as many problems with bugs and trash in the paint. I do not have a paint booth, so all these factors are important to me.

I am trying to finish up this car. It has been an ongoing project for a long time.

John chevyoutside15.jpg

BHR301, Ford52PU, metlmunchr and 2 others like this.
  7. yruhot

yruhot

Damn D-Russ that looks awesome. Nice job. Did a model with black Centari went on like bed liner. I think the reducer was too fast for our heat here in Las Vegas and I think it was drying before it even hit the car. Spent about 10 days cutting and biffing but saved it and it too looks great. I like single stage. YRUHOT

8. I work in a body shop and our paint rep says Nason has not got the UV protection in it like the more expensive paints ans would not recommend it for overall use.It will fade. I did use it on my interior parts thou and firewall. etc. Very friendly to use.

9. Yep DuPont chroma is as good a single stage as one can get, I am not a pro by any means but I do like it real well.

I think that you can still get *Emron too, it is durable and lays out well.

*I think I didn't spell that right.

D-Russ this paint looks sweet. I got to giggle a little bit though the way the pic is shot that frame in the background looks like it is sticking out of the firewall near the cowl top and at first I though that sucker is really channeled. :D

[​IMG]

283john likes this.

10. No, i've known him too long, but you can make up your own mind.

11. For years have used PPG Concept (DCC), like how it sprays out. Recently tried some TCP Restoration Shop Acrylic Enamel with hardener, it flows very nicely. Both are forgiving in a home shop environment.

12. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I did my car with Centari as well and had the same issue, never did figure out what i did wrong. Same as you it looked good after LOTS of sanding and buffing.

My paint guy said the same thing about the cheaper paints not having the same UV(or whatever it is) protection of more expensive paints.

13. Some one kick me if I a wrong, but we used to have to wax our cars to keep the paint from being destroyed by the elements. :D

Nothing against new and improved paint, there is nothing nicer than red paint that does not turn orange in a couple of years, but if cheap is what you can get there is always a good waxing in the wings. ;)

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I worked for my old boss and mentor in the custom body and paint biz, we did a 63 Galaxy with a 427 stick, for a guy. He insisted on lacquer, but my boss was pretty stubborn and knew the car was going to be abused (racing and all), so he really pushed for a tougher paint. He actuall let me shoot it, in Black Centari. sanded and buffed it, and the guy never knew!
    At least until he asked me to touch it up about 10 years later. I told him since it was enamel, it might be a problem touching it up....he argued with me that it was lacquer!

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

As long as you use the hardener, it will last quite a long time...I used to like the 2 part hardener system Dupont had for Centari. Added a measure of depth to the paint, as it was like adding extra clear into it. I could get it to flow like glass, but I have a little harder time doing that with the new urethane single stages, maybe it's the HVLP guns, though.

16. ppg dcc urethane.....no c 2012-10-18 08.31.22.jpg

17. prpmmp

prpmmp

OK wise guy!! The OP asked for paint not mirrors :eek:!! WOW thats a shine!! Pete

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

color coat_038.JPG

BASF Glasurit 22 line. Awesome paint, top quality.
    Not my car, just an example.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

PPG - Delfleet would be your best bank for the buck.

VR&C.

20. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Holy crap. Good to see there's still faith in single stage catalyzed paint. I'm looking into Delfleet or Chroma this week.

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have used PPG Concept and like the results. Expensive. I also like the ONMI line that is less expensive.