Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roll Call • Hot rods with Spun Aero Discs? So-What coupe, Jesse James roadster, etc?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 5, 2013.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Wish I had a hot rod to put these on there cool!

2. I just ordered my 17's and 18's today! Hurry up and get a scoop before they gone!

3. 32rustedinpiece

32rustedinpiece

Thanks to kevin lee my roadster got a new look today. Got a pair of 16" and 18". They look good standing still and even better while moving. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Just rebalanced the wheels using tape-a-weights and drilled the discs so they're ready to install on the '29 extended cab truck. Still waiting for some new rear tires and will post photos after Georgetown,
    \

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378936122.638842.jpg

Just sent the discs to be powder coated flat black. Using screws on the rims and repro CRAGAR hubcaps

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

We got our orders of 18" last week from Kevin....really nice pieces. Dan had a set powdercoated gloss black for his tudor:

[​IMG]

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can't get over how good these look....There was one car in particular that I remember seeing when I was a very small boy....these things capture the essence of that car.Absolutely beautiful!
    And to everyone that has the impeccable taste and style required to pony up the cash and put a set of these beauties on your treasured ride:
    My hat is off to you.Youre keeping a magical era alive and kicking for a whole new generation to be inspired by.
    Thanks to all those who put the hard work into designing,manufacturing,and finally,running the end product down the road on some gleaming,roaring machine for the rest of the world to be in awe of.

Scott

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. cafeswartz

cafeswartz
    from Canada

Ok, I need a little help understanding the centre caps . Are they pressure fit in the Aero Discs? Or are they holding onto the wheel like a dog dish wheel cover?
    Also to fasten the Aero Discs with screws is it just sheet metal screws into the wheel maybe thru to tire?
    Thanks

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Rolls Royce version is $6000 a set! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379523756.903931.jpg

10. josh highley

josh highley

I love my set! Sorry for the distraction in the pic. The only shot I have right now on my computer is this one with my daughters car show stroller.

[​IMG]

11. 117harv

117harv

Back up for those who missed it, great product Kevin.

12. Carter

Carter

13. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Is kevin still making these?

14. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

id like to know also?

15. lakester47

lakester47

Kevin,

Quite a while ago you were taking orders, maybe just requests, for other size aero disks. I sent you a PM asking for a set of 18's. They are meant for the car in my avatar. Did you ever make them?

Thanks!

Jim

16. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Btt? Me too. Making more?

17. jeta12

jeta12

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I would like a set of 15s please

19. You beat me to it Jim, I was going to ask if 15s were a possibility?

When I started reading this thread, I was thinking, if I had a set, I'd leave em original spun look, noticed some were doing them black, and still preferred original look, and then eyeballed the Speedster that Carter posted, with the body color on the discs.
    Wow, that look is the shit!
    I love it, prob still go with original spun look, but damn the color looked great.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wouldn't mind having a set of four 16's. How are the held on, just the hub cap or are there inner taps that catch a few spokes? Bob

21. Carter

Carter

Thanks!

Bob, they are meant to be screwed on, but I just had the hubcaps holding them on. Had two pop off during racing, once off the line starting in third gear, lots of wheel spin, and the other was at the end of the track hitting cross ruts at speed.

22. banjorear

banjorear

Folks:

Without picts this may worthless, but anyone good with fixing aluminum? Reason I ask, I have a set of Kevin's first run discs. While I was moving, three of them fell out of the box and hit the cast base of the drill press.

The three discs that fell got bent up and cracked at the impact zone. Needless to say, I was heart broken.

If you are a good tin bender and want to take on a project, please PM me. I'd love to get them fixed.

23. Questio0n for Kevin....Can these be used with a regular steel rim? and if so what holds the hubcap on when you are not running wire wheels?

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys – I'll answer all of this as best I can but if you have questions definitely PM me.

First – I have been doing pre-ordered runs only. Reason being it's easier for me to set a deadline, group everything with spinning, sorting, packaging and shipping to take care of customers that way. When it's a single order here and there it's just too easy to get lost in the shuffle and I don't want to be that guy. Larger pre-ordered runs makes sure you guys get what you need in a wham-bam get-it-done kind of way. Then I can go back into hiding for another year and work on other stuff.

Second – I am now doing multiple sizes. I do 16's, 17's, and 18's and they have always been designed to fit the offset of a Ford or Kelsey Hayes wire wheel. (screwed to the rim with the cap popped into the center) NOW WAIT... The thing you need to know is THEY WILL FIT OTHER WHEELS. In fact, the wheel pictured in the initial post here is a '40 Ford solid. So the disc screws to the rim and the cap pops right into the center of the disc itself. There's a reveal pressed into the cover and it rides right in there, looks badass, and doesn't come out. I have heard that Jesse James' roadster has the covers screwed in place underneath the caps. You could probably do this with a few countersunk screws but I've never seen it in person... and I happen to like the look of the screws around the outer edge! (don't rely on the center cap to hold these things on)

Third – Custom sizes and designs? Yup, I can do it. I've never had someone follow through because well... it's f%cking expensive to tool up for one offs! That said for those of you wanting 15's I can likely do it by cutting down a set of 16's. Obviously I could not then guarantee them to fit any specific wheel. You'd have to get me an accurate measurement for the OD but hey, it ain't rocket science – let's do it!

If you guys are interested I'll set up another pre-order in the classifieds and get things rolling!

And banjorear – shoot me a PM. I'd like to see the damage. Maybe there's something that can be done.

25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

We used four 4-40 machine screws under the hubcap, and it's worked very well.

[​IMG]

orangeamcs likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, that did it, my '29 Steelback needs a set. What is the trick in removing the hubcap without damaging the aluminum disk? Bob

[​IMG]

27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I have some nylon dog bones/spoons that I use for a lot of things. They work great for getting the caps off of that car, or any other cap on Ford wheels.

28. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Kevin:
    Thanks for answering all inquiries. I assume your Ad, when you decide to take orders will have pricing on sets?
    When you get ready to take orders, please btt this thread, so subscribers will know your up & runnin' orders.
    Anybody attach to a 16" '39Ford Wide 5?
    Sounds like they fit '40 ford steelies fine.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Alright everyone, it's ON. You should be able to find all of the info you need at the link below. And if you still have questions do not hesitate to shoot me a PM – I'll get right back to you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/spun-aero-disc-pre-order.970139/

Thanks again and to answer the question above, they'll fit on a Wide 5 same as they would for a '40 solid. No problem.

30. Will you be offering them in steel like that one off set you did for me so people can powdercoat them? And what if you just wanted two?