Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help with old Case Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jon Lundberg, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Good morning! I have contacted all the "usual suspects" for help without success so this is an attempt to plumb the worldwide assets of the H.A.M.B. for correct information. The attached photo is of a 1923 Case Truck. These were not built in Iowa, but in a family break-off plant in Wisconsin from 1921-25. This rare example in under restoration here in Tucson. A question has arisen as concerns the vehicle's proper chassis frame color. Black is obviously the default. But, as you can see, there is a possibility it might be "Case Green". This restoration is for a museum whereat this truck will be a principle display so we'd like to get it right. Can you help directly or point me to someone who can? Thank you. CASE TRUCK 2.jpg

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice old truck, I don't know a thing about them, but would vote for "Case Green" based omn the fact that one color on everything would be a cost saving feature. There should be some original frame color under there somewere. Bob

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It doesn't look to have ever had a frame off restoration, I would think an inspection between the cab and frame with a mirror should give a clue.

4. BJR

BJR

Try aaca.org Someone there may know.

5. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Thanks, BJR. Am an AACA member and tried 'em - and their library/archive - to no avail.

6. electricalguy

electricalguy

7. electricalguy

electricalguy

Jon....the very best people to contact would be the American Truck Historical Society..... www.aths.org

8. tractorguy

tractorguy

Go to www.yesterdaystractor.com. There are discussion forums on that site. There is a Case specific forum there with real good folks. Obviously you have a very rare truck versus the tractors that get discussed on the site, but it may help. There is also the J.I.Case Heritage Foundation headquartered here in Wisconsin. They have a great publication that comes out several times a year. If I remember, trucks were discussed in an issue over the past several years. I will check my old copies.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Several years ago the TV show "American Pickers" stopped in to see a guy with a barn full of CASE tractors and related parts & info. As I remember he was really into CASE products, he had a CASE fordor sedan from the 1920's. That radiator shell is very unique, I've seen one, maybe it was on the TV show. Best of luck in your search. Bob

10. Learn something every time I get on the HAMB. Never knew that Case made trucks and cars.

lawman likes this.
  11. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Come see us on the Just Old Trucks forum,lot of knowledge there and a few guys that like to search problems like this.

12. Looks like the bumper and mounts are green, if they're original. I think the best option would be to check the top of the frame under the cab.

and because someone has to use this pun sooner or later,

You know, just in Case.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  13. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Wow, thank you! Been to both other places you suggested with no results. Would very much appreciate your "old copies" check. Jon Lundberg

14. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Think I've been there. Check for a recent post. Thank you!

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

From what I could find Case looks like they didn't have a specific color for the frame. Looks like whatever the color of the fenders are is also the color of the frame. Also when someone bought a Case automobile if they liked the color(s) of the car, but didn't like the color of the interior the dealer would take the interior out, and replace it with what color interior the customer wanted. Since the dealer would change the interior to the color the customer wanted, one would think the dealer would also change the color on the body if the customer wanted t0 also. Like if the car was all black but the customer wanted the main body green, the dealer would paint the main body green (at least that's my opinion on body/frame color)
    http://www.racinehistory.com/jicase.html#car
    http://jicasecollector.com/automobiles.html

Movinman likes this.
  16. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Just posted my info on "yesterday's tractor". Thanks for the lead .

17. No help really, but there is/was a 4 door Case car out of Parsons KS and if I recall correctly it is black with black frame. I think it was a 1923, but I may not have that right. I only saw it once. May have posted on here about it.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the vedio Kenneth S, CASE ran in the first INDY 500 in 1911. Bob

[​IMG]

19. I thought I answered your thread over on Just Old Trucks, but I don't see my answer there now. I would try to find an undisturbed place on the frame, (under the cab has been suggested) and sand down to bare metal, you should be able to find the first color (or only color) it was painted.
    I have a 1947 Autocar and back then Autocar came from the factory with an army drab primer. (no paint) The paint was a dealer or purchaser installed option, so it is not unthinkable that there never was a standard frame color on a Case. Good luck with your search!

20. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Case made trucks... hmm, I hope they were better than their backhoes, and dozers ....

21. 33rag

33rag
    from Pa.

Try train guy on the ford barn,he has a case touring car.He may be able to help.

22. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Thanks for all your help and input. Plenty of options now. HAMB works!

302GMC likes this.