Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian versions - good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Jul 23, 2012.

1. I just wanted to kinda have an unofficial poll about what my southern friends think about the vehicles that us Canadians got but you didn't? For example: Mercury trucks, Fargo trucks, Maple leaf trucks, Canadian Pontiacs etc. Are they considered "cool" or desireable in your eyes or are they the stepchild scenario?

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My buddy has a 51 monarch convertible, and I know I'm damn jealous!

3. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Mercury trucks are way cleaner than the f1 counter parts.

4. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I would not consider myself jealous over the cooler vehicles you guys got up north because we got the better weather....:D

But to answer yes I would love to have a Monarch or a 48 mercury M1

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

My perspective is that they can't be 'All Bad',

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
    [​IMG]
    :D

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Way cooler, at least here in the US. You very rarely see them here!

7. Normbc9

Normbc9

My neighbor has a '53 Mercury pickup with the original 256 Y block still in it. It is a really good looking pickup. I'm always looking for the Chevy/Pontiac Canadian versions of the inline 261 block. For some reason they always hold up top a lot of hard work.
    Normbc9

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I always dug the grill you guys got for the '42-'47 Merc trucks. I looked for one forever for mine and never found one.

9. markl350

markl350

After seeing a lot of "Canadian" steel at the Syracuse Nationals I got a new appreciation for northern talent...there were some kick ass rides from trucks to rods.

10. raymay

raymay

Always like some of the Canadian cars. Some nice and sometimes very creative ideas come from our friends up north. Back in the 70's our club used to host a fun group who would come each year for one of our car shows. They even came over a year after we stopped doing our show so we all just hung out and had a good time. Also enjoyed the old Canadian Nats. They had a one day pass for $10 and we would go for the day.

11. I love the Canada only stuff. They're definitely not stepchild models. Now if I could find a set of those cool script SBC Pontiac valve covers for my GMC, I'd be really happy.

12. I always get "your 63 Dodge has a Plymouth interior" Because here in the GWN we always had one interior for both makes in the early 60s. They fact that they notice that is fine. The suggestion that it is somehow "wrong" though, is unwelcome. I usely answer the rude with three words. "So beat me":D
    Don

13. Roger53

Roger53

Cool yup. So get some pictures up! Roger

14. Rockabilly M68

Rockabilly M68

this is my 49' mercury m68 i found this passed winter. personaly i think this model looks a little cooler than it's ford counter part because of the different grill and the stainless fender trim. other than that and the merc badges it's the exact same truck that was available down south.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and TLDLTD like this.
  15. 35desoto

35desoto

Here in New Zealand we got a lot of the Canadian versions rather than the USA version. The reason being is that as we part of the British Commonwealth we bought and traded with our fellow countries before going outside of that "group". So like Don we got alot of Dodges - Canadian sourced so yes they came with plymouth interiors. My 63 Dodge has a 62 Plymouth dash and thats what makes it a bit more unque. Plus the fact that we got 313 poly V8's instead of the USA 318's - difference was bore size.
    Makes it iontersting now - I do not hunt oversize 318 pistons - just find the std bore size ones the yanks don't want and buy those - cheapest overbore ever

belyea_david and kiwijeff like this.
  16. do you ever get sent parts for the bigger trucks, when you order parts for '28-'31 ford cars? and wonder why?

Squablow likes this.
  17. George

George

The taxes were a lot lower if N.Z. & Australia bought from a member of The Empire vs direct from the States.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. I searched for years and found a meteor grille for my 51 ford coupe, not much different from a 54 pontiac, but it does have a slight peak in the center so it matches much better with the hood peak. Cool factor is that they're different and rare even in Canada so not too many chances of running into another one very often.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. indianhead74

indianhead74

Mercury trucks very cool, Pre-War Buicks very cool, But the Pontiacs always looked a little odd to me. Maybe it's 'cause I'm so familiar with the U.S. Versions

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I always wanted a '55 or '56 Canadian Pontiac - they have the good looks of a '50s Poncho with the easy-to-obtain chassis bits of a Chevy. I'd probably put a 389 in it.

Lately I've really been digging on '52-'54 Meteors.

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Among my collection is a '42 Fargo and a '56 Meteor. I really like the fargo but itis rather a Dodge with Plymouth trim (except badges) but the Meteor side trim is very cool to me. One thing a learned the hard way is that the "star" on the leading edge of the hood can rally hurt if your're not careful! Lucky I didn't need a skin graft.

22. 58 Pontiac Pathfinders are a beautiful variation of the Chevy chassis mixed with a Pontiac body. I also like most all Meteor grille versions over the same year Ford grilles. Easy swap for a custom look.

23. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

I kinda like my 54 Monarch Custom Lucerne. It currently has a 390 with aod trans, can you say 100 mph all the way to Vegas.
    The front chrome is Mercury at the moment, sometime in the past some one changed it around. Hood ornament should be a lion.

Vic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    kiwijeff and TLDLTD like this.
  24. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Here's a couple photos of my '60 Pontiac Laurentian. It's completely original and it's a low optioned model with no power steering, no power brakes, radio delete (although the delete plate was missing when i bought it) and only one mirror on the driver's side. It has a rebuilt 261ci stovebolt six with a 2 speed powerglide and it rolls along fine. In the summer, i drive it the way she is and we took it to 'Back to the Fifties' and it did raise a few eyebrows! Four stars on the quarter, hub caps instead of full wheel discs, and it looks like a '59-'60 chevy under the hood.

What makes it very rare is the fact that it's a 2 door post! Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that there were only 2225 of these post cars ever produced!

You'll notice a scar of rust on the top of driver's fender from the block heater cord end flippin back and forth for years ... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427233028.335097.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427233080.835876.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427233138.408999.jpg

koolkemp, kiwijeff, TLDLTD and 4 others like this.
  25. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

...i forgot to mention the lack of back-up lights ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427244020.974676.jpg

koolkemp likes this.
  26. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Here's another '60 Laurentian, but this one is a hard-top. Inline 261ci with a three speed standard. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427244812.358574.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427244929.618656.jpg
    One of these days, it'd be nice to see it roadworthy again!

koolkemp and TLDLTD like this.
  27. The coolest ones(in my humble opinion anyway)are the 55-58 Pontiac sedan deliveries and the 59-60 2 door Pontiac wagons.

KFC likes this.
  28. Dustan

Dustan
    from PNW

I would love to get all the Mercury parts for my unibody! Just because I have never actually seen one in person. But then again I have only saw 2 other shortbed unis with big back windows.

29. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Here's a 1954 Dodge Mayfair 2 door hard-top ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427256567.309326.jpg

TLDLTD likes this.
  30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure? Canadian Ford products had flatheads one year longer than the U.S., not one year less.