Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1962-65 Corvette Exhaust Manifolds... made in 93??? Wha???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byers, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Byers

Byers

I have these 2 exhaust manfiolds, they are numbers 3797902 and 3797901 (right and left side). Crazy thing about these, they have a 12-23-93X cast on the right one and 8-12-93 on the left one. I paid a decent price for them thinking they were original, but I may have gotten hosed on a set of re-pops. They have GM cast on them. I don't know if this is the right forum to put these out there (I got hammered on asking a question about Camaro Muscle Stripes about 5 years ago, so I'm hesitant to ask about this, but this is the one forum I've found with the most knowledgeable people who answer really quickly).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Any good comments (or funny jokes) will get a LIKE.

Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for any help on this (I know Corvette guys can be really into numbers, so hopefully there's someone that kind of knows things about them on here).

- Mike

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

They are reproduction manifolds. They still work the same way though.

Pat

Byers likes this.
  3. I was going to say that the repops were pretty expensive or are of you can find them. I guess they put the date on them just so that Corvette collectors don't get hosed and like Coupe here said they work just the same.

Byers likes this.
  4. pitman

pitman

Jimi; "If six was nine?" A dremel tool can modify numbers if you're concerned I suppose.
    Hopefully they'll work alright. (Bracket provisions)

Byers likes this.

5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

It appears that the LH manifold had the cast alternator bracket cut off. Am I seeing that correctly?
    Might need to do some grinding to make it look like an original that didn't have the cast bracket.

Byers likes this.
  6. at work i've ordered in and sold a few sets of them from Dorman, i don't recall seeing those casting numbers and the GM on them. i could get some in to compare

Byers likes this.
  7. They dont if he needs the numbers and paid for those numbers.

Byers likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

A vintage RH manifold with a dipstick notch? Was that even made back then?

Byers likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I would not be surprised if they were made by GM in 1993, and sold at a dealership. Some stock performance part numbers had a long life. For example, I bought a 3965774 on the last day of 1989. The part started production in the early 70s.

Byers likes this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

I believe they are repops. I have a set with one of the manifolds with a 1973 date and the GM stamp on one side. I have another set without the date (I am pretty sure although would have to dig them up-they're somewhere). I have owned sets without the date as well and I thought the ones with the later date were obvious repops but since I gave peanuts for them it never bothered me. Since I am the furthest thing from an expert maybe some originals have dates as well.

Byers likes this.
  11. Byers: I have a 3750556 is you need it. RH. Tim

Byers likes this.
  12. I have a friend who is a parts man in a Chevrolet dealer.
    He told me they were still available to the early 2000's or later.
    I know they are now available through Dorman.

Byers likes this.
  13. Byers

Byers

I talked to the guy from Crane Corvette and he said they were OEM's made in the 80's and 90's. He said they still sell for about $100 a piece, so we got the pair for $100. I originally thought my dad threw down $400 for them and then I figured we got hosed, but we're alright. 1993 is the correct date on them, so they were made in the 90's. They look like they breath really well.

Thanks for all your info, I really appreciate this forum...

14. A happy ending!!!

Byers likes this.
  15. I bought a pair from the Chevy parts department maybe six years ago. I don't think they are still available anymore from Chevrolet, but they can be found as repop's. As stated before yours are GM factory replacements.

Byers likes this.
  16. Byers

Byers

Thanks, guys... this is why I like this forum over all other ones. Lots of great info, fast... here!!!

17. banjorear

banjorear

This. I also bought a set in the early '90's from a G.M. parts counter.