Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

I attended a local Metal Meet hosted by Dan Pate (route56wingnut on here). I only made it one day, but it was a lot of fun and I learned things.

The first class of the day was Metal shaping 101/102. It was put on by Kerry Pinkerton. He is also the fella that owns Imperial Wheeling Machines.

[​IMG]

These two fellas were making a roof top for a '33 or '34 Ford (I can't remember).

[​IMG]

I had never heard of Cass until the metal meet. But I quickly realized how important he was when I continually heard from the other shapers about how excited they were that he was there. He put on the second class explaining some things that were beyond me. But a lot of what he said made a lot of things 'click'.

[​IMG]

The group on Saturday-

[​IMG]

I nabbed these photos from allmetal shaping site. I'm real excited for the Fall Meet now.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Dyce

Dyce

It was good to see you there at the meet Beau. I was the one in your way holding the end of your side panel when you punched the louvers. cool build!!!
    Jeff

3. Beau

Beau

THANKS Jeff! I think I'm gonna need a helper the next time I'm there. Nice meeting you!

4. marioD

marioD

Can't see any Pics ......
    Is it just me?

Mario

5. OFT

OFT

I can't see any either. Thought it was just me as it has happened before.

6. Hi Beau, here are your photos: You can't link from the AllMetalShaping site. You need to upload them as attachments here.

Internals 076.jpg

Internals 078.jpg

7. Beau

Beau

I fixed the photos.

Thanks again Kerry for making the trip up. Your class was great!

"It flows to the path of least resistance". :)

8. marioD

marioD

that looks like a lot of fun and knowledge build up.

I'd love to meet Cass Nawrocki he is one of the greatest metalshapers.

Mario

9. Beau

Beau

It's been a while. The HAMB seems strange still. I now have one week left at my current job. No plan ahead, other than create things out of metal. We'll see where it goes. Some say congrats, some say I'm crazy. We'll see.

At the last swap I picked up a set of Pet and Jake's plain shorty front shocks for the car. I also stumbled upon a set of 1928 Graham lever shocks. They are in pretty good shape and were made by Delco. I have tracked down rebuild info and it looks like bicycle or motorcycle fork oil can be used to tune the shocks using different weight of oil.

10361408_10100861431556690_2147129622631908472_n.jpg

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Best of luck to ya!
    I'm considering some lever shocks in my build. I picked up some houdaille brackets for my banjo rear just in case. If I do use them, I'll probably try to interpret the bootlegger style and use "aircraft" shocks alongside them.

11. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Really digging this car. I like your take on the frame sweep, ill be starting mine soon. THanks for the time dedicated to keeping the build going on here.

12. Beau

Beau

Whew. It's been a while. I successfully quit my job and entered the world of "starving artists". I have been doing side work to learn more skills and did some work with a mason for a bit. My side hobby of buying and selling old shit at swaps and sales has been working out OK and I have been working for the blacksmith when work comes around.

The sad part is, my poor car has just sat. Each day I work on artwork right next to it. My break from building will soon be over. I just needed some time to get settled in to this self employment thing. Here are some photos of a few of the lamps I made and sold.

Attached Files:

• d9.jpg
      d9.jpg
      File size:
      119.5 KB
      Views:
    • d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
    • d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
    • d4.jpg
      d4.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    • d5.jpg
      d5.jpg
      File size:
      131 KB
      Views:
    • d6.jpg
      d6.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
    • d7.jpg
      d7.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • d8.jpg
      d8.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    draider, Blue One and daddio211 like this.
  13. Good for you! I took the leap 16 years ago, best thing I ever did, no regrets.
    Lamps look really good.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya know, I was just thinking this morning, "Wonder what happened to Beau?" good to hear your chasing dreams and entering the realm of the semi-employed artisans! It's tough and not always consistent, but damned rewarding!

Beau, sko_ford and bct like this.
  15. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Any updates. Your car has me motivated to do a possible modified build. Started mocking up the rear panels last night. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406378991.395819.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406379018.964630.jpg

"Insert Epic Quote Here"

patmanta likes this.
  16. Beau

Beau

I have been in the shop a lot, but only managed to squeak in a few little things on the engine to get it close to running. I have made a bunch of lamps, and have a HUGE order of trophies to make for the MN High School Cycling.

I like where you're going and wish I could have found a rear panel like that when I stated!

One of my newest lamps-

delete.jpg

bct and patmanta like this.
  17. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

That lamp is bad ass! Cool deal.

"Insert Epic Quote Here"

18. Beau

Beau

Hello H.A.M.B. It has been a while. I quick my job, spent the Summer doing all sorts of new things and learning as many new skills as I could. I put some time in at a Cafe inside a bicycle shop learning some fancy coffee crap and making food for weird people who seem like they don't like good food (vegans, hipsters and gluten free folk).

This Thanksgiving, I received a call from Dan Pate (route56wingnut) asking if I'd be interested in helping him out at his shop and learning some new skills dong metal shaping and metal work.

I put my two weeks in the next morning. :)

Stay tuned!

patmanta likes this.
  19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

20. Beau

Beau

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally (it's been way to long) had some time to reorganize my shop and move some crap. Time to rebuild the trans, resurface the flywheel and get the engine fired. I also used Chassis Saver to seal up interior parts of the car. It's like POR 15.

I have been making 10 custom Amphicar trunk lids at my new job. A press brake, Pullmax, flanger, english wheel, welder, shrinker, stretcher, and many hours went into these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Nomad that's been built by my Boss. He started with a cowl!

[​IMG]

sko_ford, volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  21. Welcome back.
    Yeah, it's nice to open a box and fit a new part, but you learn more working with something that needs work

22. OFT

OFT

Good to see your still making progress. How did the motor sound?

Earl

23. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Wow! What a fantastic build thread. Thank you for sharing your story and hard work. The years you and your girl get to enjoy it will make it all worth while. Good luck in the new career.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Beau

Beau

I have been slowly plucking away at the little finish things and getting the chassis bolted together (hopefully for the last time). I have been working my way front to back. This part of the build does not excite me as much as the prior parts, but I need to get this damn thing on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  25. Beau

Beau

I got the engine running. I also found this super cool intake that will be installed later on.

[​IMG]

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Did you ever find time to measure you mill width over the widest part of the headers? And where did you get the headers?

Damn fine intake!
    What was the old intake? Can't remember

27. Beau

Beau

I totally forgot to measure that. I'm sorry, that was a long time ago.

The headers came with a Buick 215 I bought for parts. The flanges were flame cut so I'm thinking the were home built. An engine builder friend told me to bin them because they are too close to the block and won't flow well. I'll run them for a bit and have him help me make some new ones. The widest part of the whole thing is gonna be the alternator or generator. Getting one of the two to fit with a full hood is gonna be tough. Now that I have the 2-2 intake, I might not run a hood. But we'll see.

I have a stock 4 barrel intake on it now with a 500cfm Carter carb. I also have an Offy 4 barrel intake manifold that I was going to run (along with Offy valve covers). I found this rare Edelbrock 2-2 intake on CL. I still can't believe I found one and hour and a half from home.

I guess I'll update my work status as well. I'm helping out at a resto/custom shop called The Work in MN under the guidance of Bob Fullmer (Owner/Operator). His attention to detail and quality is amazing. I have been learning some new things about fit and finish work and using skills I learned on my own or that were taught by others. This was the project I started last week. New rockers inner and outer and quarter patches. Along with a bunch of other metal work to get everyhting to attach back to stock looking. Fitting skirts provided a whole new challenge. There was about a five gallon bucket of spray foam, rubberiszed and rusty metal that used to be the old rockers. theworks1.jpg the works.jpg the works2.jpg

Last Spring when I quit working in the bike industry, I never would have imagined I would be working in metal shops or resto shops. Without a great network of friends and this hot rod project, none of it would be possible. My project and photos provided me with a job!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    patmanta likes this.
  28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Don't worry about it. But I would still like to get the measurements.

I'm collecting parts for a volvo V8 project I'm restoring. It a survivor, that's barely survived.

Are you headers center dumb/ram horn style?
    If they come in excess and consider selling them, please PM me.

I got that Volvo in my Avatar, running Rover V8 in a tight space, and to be leagal, I have to stay under 200hp. But a 4 barrel intake would look a lot better then 2 SU Variable Venturi carbs. It was what it ran back in the day.

I still like you build and where you are going.

I go and check if intake and headers match between Rover 3500 and Buick 215. Just to make sure.

29. Beau

Beau

I have one of the Rover intakes, too. I though they were kind of cool. The headers are center dump. I don't think they would clear stock engine mounts. They came off an engine that was in an MG that had the mounts extended forward a bit. I also have a set of Land Rover stock cast headers, and they are also center dump, but they don't hug the block quite as much. I will get measures and pictures for ya.

volvobrynk likes this.