Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm glad someone's getting some use out of this thread - that's why I'm trying to keep up with it . I get so much from a lot of other guys' threads here too , so I think of it as paying it forward .

As for the headliner , it's pretty imperative that the rear glass be out to do the headliner, as there's no garnish moulding to help hold it in place . The front glass can probably be left in place and glued well and be alright . The garnish moulding will help hold it there . The headliner was one of the jobs I was really dreading , to be honest . Just one of those things that psyched me out . Installing the front & rear glass was another . We had a hell of a time installing the front glass in my buddy Craig's Shoebox , but mine went MUCH smoother . Again , another psych-job , LOL !

Why thank ya , sir !! It sucks that you sold your '49 , but at least you found a suitable replacement in a '40 . They're sa-weet !

Thanks ! At this point, the plan is to paint it a dark copper color (I like the copper color Ford put on the Mustang back in '73) . It will keep with my car's name , and my mantra with this budget build- "The Penny Pincher" . The car will go on the road this spring in epoxy primer to start with , till I run the bugs out of it , and spend all my money on my Route 66 trip :) .

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Figured I might as well give a small update . I've been working on small stuff on the car , but tackled a pretty good project this week . A few weeks back I picked up the phone & ordered window fuzzies and vent seals from Chris at Shoebox-Central . A couple weeks back , I installed the fuzzies on the garnish mouldings & stainless , last week I installed them on the car with new glass . I installed the new flip-out rear glass as well . That's the last of my new glass installed , YA-HOO !! Well worth the wampum if ya ask me . Beats the hell out of the old , cracked , scratched , bubbled & jacked-up glass (puke !) . It will be awesome looking through crystal clear green tint glass .
    As usual , here are a couple pics - never mind the smudges all over the glass ;) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Brentphx

Brentphx

What instructions did you reference when installing the fuzzies? I have mine sitting to the side waiting for me to get the motivation...

4. Hey Buddy, Ya gonna call it the fabulious trashwagon? :)

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

No instructions whatsoever , unfortunately. The green bible was no help either. I just kinda winged-it and figured it out as I went. I've done much more complicated things than that , but it was still a major pain in the caboose. It's just a matter of laying it out , drilling holes for the new staples (which are apparently made of some super stiff NASA metal , lol) and bending them over as original (the tough part). You must cut them to length to fit at the vent windows , which is not hard. Still , a LITTLE guidance would have been appreciated.

I thought about it ;) . I can't wait to put my "last open road" sticker on the rear window this spring. Long time coming ...

6. I got a Finzios garage sticker on the back of my daily driver. Nobodys commented yet (except my lovely wife "look somebody put an advertising sticker on your car" LOL

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Desire, patience, more desire, lots more patience, etc,etc,etc....Try doing the pinch weld SS trim in one piece, one clip...Wish I had been smart enough to make two pieces, two clips..

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Doing what I do for a living , I have seen quite a few "last open road" stickers , and I never miss a chance to pimp the book(s). I do have one of each sticker I could put on the car , but the "last open road" one seems to sum it all up. I do like the Finzio's Garage sticker idea too. Maybe I'll do both !

Yes , patience is where it's at with a lot of trim type stuff. If ya don't have it , sometimes ya end up doing it twice !

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Darn , I haven't updated the thread in a while -

I made some interior panels out of luan plywood , which has worked out for me on previous stuff. They will be covered with the same material as the seats (when I get to that part)
    I finally got around to getting my YOM plate paperwork going (needed to get insurance on it 1st- JC Taylor was giving me crap over my car not being show paint - screw them , I am now insured with Hagerty :) . I even got a bit of extra coverage because of my trip.

Right now , I am nuts-deep in doing my lead work and filler. Man , I hate filler :( . Thank god for Craig helping me out - he's better at filler than me. My car's no virgin , and needs help all 'round , lol !

My license plate paperwork should be coming in a couple weeks , so she will be driven , finished or not. This has been a long 5 years of building !

daddio211 likes this.
  10. Good luck Buddy, Er Allen. :)

11. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Been following a few of these shoe builds. Its been interesting so far.
    Subscribed.

Dan

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks for watching , guys. It's nice to know people are out there . The Penny Pincher's got a good bit to go till she's finished , but I'm getting stoked just to be able to (legally) drive it around. Once I see how it does as a daily , then it's on to finish the interior and so on.
    Stay tuned for my ("Someday is finally here") Route 66 trip with my pop this fall . I will certainly start a thread with tons of updates and pics.

daddio211 likes this.
  13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Can you post some more pics. Looking great

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

• Thanks Jerry - No real awesome pics to post. We've got the car about half paint stripped and we're doing bodywork , so nothing too exciting to report.

15. Koz

Koz

Lookin' so fine there! Glad to see you did such a nice job on the glass. That's always one of my favorite jobs in any build. It has instant gratification in having everything sealed up and running smooth in the channels. Can't wait to see this on the road.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks , Brother - My old glass was total crap , and there's nothin' like looking through new glass ! I was certainly dreading doing the job , but it all worked out fine in the end .

Backed the car outside to do a little shop clean-up the other day . Haven't run it in a couple months , but it fired right up & purred like a kitten ... so we took it for a spin around the block ! Damn that felt good , LOL !! Shot a quick pic while it was out in the light :

[​IMG]

daddio211 and vwdave30 like this.
  17. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking good there Buddy......

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !
    The car will soon get uglier - I have to pull the bumpers and grille to finish the bodywork and at least get some epoxy primer on it. Not looking forward to that job , haha !

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry for the lack of updates , been pretty busy.
    I pulled the bumpers , grille and front fenders , then seam sealed and painted the backsides of the fenders . Then I pai
    nt stripped the outsides of the fenders and remounted them and we did bodywork on them. We're about wrapped up with the bodywork on the car now (ya-hoo !).

I've got to tell you guys , without Craig's help , the bodywork would take me forever and look like crap. I just hate that stage , and it shows , lol ! Big thanks to him for sure.

I am heading to see my dad (in GA) to visit and go over thoughts for our Route 66 trip. When I return, we'll be shooting the car with epoxy primer , then I'll get to see the car for the first time all in one color !

Stay tuned ...

20. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep it moving forward there Buddy !!

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm tryin' , man ... I'm tryin' :)

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry for the lack of updates , been pretty busy , but have been making progress on the Penny Pincher. Good news is that I believe the bodywork is done and the car will be in primer this weekend !

I dropped another 5 rocks at Shoebox Central yesterday. Ordered all new steering links , door and trunk seals and a luxury item ... Electric wipers ! I figured that I'm going to use the heck out of this car, so I might as well splurge and get updated. Chris is such an easy dude to deal with , and his prices are rock solid with the big name guys . I'd much rather deal with a "common guy" than a big dollar joint, personally. So if you guys need Shoebox stuff and haven't dealt with Chris and Hollie - do it ! WWW.shoebox-central.com

I'm off to buy some little bits I need to tape the car off and poof it this weekend. Stay tuned !

daddio211 and vwdave30 like this.
  23. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Can't wait to see it one color, and to see and hear of your Mother Road trip! Looking forward to the thread....

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You and me both. It will look so different all in one color. Once I'm driving the car full time, I'll start my trip thread. It will be a WELL updated thread , trust me ;) .

five-oh likes this.
  25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well , we taped it all up & shot her with primer . Not my best work , but it's only primer , lol !! My first time shooting anything with an HVLP gun too . The body will be finalized & shot with paint in a real booth this fall , but this primer will allow me to use the damn thing till then ! I may end up doing some more mods to it till then anyways (louvered hood , old-school french on the headlights - that kinda stuff) , so primer works for me now . Going to try to get it back together this week so I can drive it a bit .
    I got my box of goodies from Shoebox-Central yesterday - Ya-Hoo !! It means more work for me , but it needs it , and it'll be well worth it in the end . Thanks Chris !

Here are a couple pics (sorry , shot with my cell camera) . Looks better already !! Now I can start dreaming of it in color ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

daddio211 and IowaMercMan like this.
  26. Looks great,I'm a sucker for primered cars. HRP

27. vwdave30

vwdave30

28. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

amazing how just being all one color makes such a huge difference! looks great.

29. fms427

fms427

Yep- that is easy to do. Melted some 53 Buick lenses in my 47 Ford while doing some brake pedal mods - the brake lights stayed on....... Didn't take as long as you might have thought....

30. Ah primer, getting close now.