Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Every little bit will get er done.
    Congratulations to Robert and Granddad on the new
    arrival. :)

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanksgiving558_zpsd39ca564.jpg Thanksgiving215_zpsf7c90961.jpg Thanksgiving224_zps007a8478.jpg Added a '32 column drop from Titus earlier this month, got the broken off bolt in the bottom removed. Drilled and tapped the original column lock hole for a normal key switch. Tapped and plugged the on off switch hole. This will go in the to be TIG welded pile next. One small bit that is finished. Merry Christmas! Bob

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanksgiving219_zps8f0a3b37.jpg Looking back at 2014 and it was a really good year even if the pile looks about the same from this time last year. Got a '32 heavy I beam, '32 column drop, and four nice '40 wheels along with new hub caps for them. Attaching the cowl sides is the next step, after I clean out and sell off all the unneeded stuff around here.Sure would be nice to have half the body together and in primer this time next year. Happy New Year! Bob

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

2015%20LARS%20Fund%20452_zps3poqci91.jpg I have no idea why, but for some reason I took the right door to work to day and welded in a patch in the bottom bead. I've walked past it for a few years now, and it got 30 minutes of welding, I'll dress it tomorrow. Maybe I need to look at this one piece at a time, finish the door, and get it in primer. Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. I'm riding along, cause I'm gona see you finish this thing. :cool:
    Stop talking bout cleaning that shed up, and just do it, sell your unwanted stuff, then these pics will look better...:D:D:D

6. clem

clem

Love that dash.

7. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

:eek:...hahaha...your subject title caught my attention...''basement'' leaves me with all kinds of visuals....I knew a guy who built an airplane in his basement, and it was the talk of the neighborhood:rolleyes:.......cool line of thought with your car!!...it's always interesting to see a different way of approaching a project...good luck man!

8. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

very nice looking column drop and dash.

I like to break all project tasks into smaller tasks, and complete them before going onto another task..... it's so easy to loose interest 3/4 of the way through, once the "more funner" collecting/thinking/planning/problem solving is completed and just work is left.
    Of course all tasks don't work out as planned :rolleyes:

9. Model T1

Model T1

Love this thread. Way back in the late 50's when I got my first Model A coupe I knew where a lot of old cars were. Became friendly with a high school kid with a Model A 2-door in his parents basement. I was around 21. Amazing I still remember all of this important crap! I'd help the kid work on his very nice project and end up with his spare parts. I have no idea what ever happened to that Model A. They had a set of patio doors out onto a cement slab.
    Guess they removed those to get the completed car in.... and out. I've still got the radiator shell and a head for my 31 Model A just in case.
    The good thing about this is we live in a double wide mobile home in Florida with no basement. We are moving back to Illinois to a house with a basement. Kinda makes me wonder..........!:D Let's see I have a nice radiator shell. All I need is................ Good luck 37Kid

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wiring can be fun and it's very rewarding. You cant buy what you want and you dont need a picture Take a headlite switch and run a wire from it to a tail light and over to the other tail light. Put voltage on the switch and watch the tail lights light up! Install the brake light switch and run a wire to the tail light and over to the other tail light, apply 12 volts and watch it light up the brake lights! Do the same with the head lights. And the horn. Every wire does something. Take a wire from the ignition switch and go to the coil. The other wire on the coil goes to the distributor. Easy! A one wire alternator goes to the positive side of the battery. Nothing to it. You can put an ammeter in the middle of the wire from alternator and battery and watch the charging. The hot wire (+) from the battery goes to the hot side of the head light switch, the brake light switch, the horn relay, the wiper switch and whatever needs power. What else do you need to drive away? ok, fuses haha

Connect one wire at a time and watch it work, then do another.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

2015%20LARS%20Fund%20456_zpsmkklicjp.jpg 2015%20LARS%20Fund%20453_zpsfyunenwi.jpg That patch in the lower bead was cut out of a 1929 Fordor door trim piece I had kicking around. MIG welded it at work, using the closed eyes, sounds good tach method. Half hour of MIG then an hour with a cutoff wheel body file and DA and it looks somewhat better. More MIG tomorrow to fill a few pinholes.

Six Ball and oliver westlund like this.
  12. Bob, you want to come over and play with the tig? i had the bottle filled.......

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES! The drivers door will need the TIG work, I'm mating the good bottom from one door to a good top from another. All those years I Heliarc welded Aluminum bodies I want to see how steel TIG's.

14. maybe we could convince a certain retired tig expert to come play also.......

oliver westlund likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll never know, but thanks for the reply. I've got the wire thing on hold, blocking it out of my mind so I can work on fun stuff I can see and understand. No need to worry about wiring either project, I could have them both finished and magazine feature quality without anyone knowing if there is any wire in them. Bob

Six Ball and oliver westlund like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a plan, I need to buy a good helmet. Bob

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Called Synders and ordered rivets for the subrails on the 19th, they arrived today the 21st, that's fast in my opinion. Wonder how many months will pass before I rivet them together?

Six Ball and brEad like this.
  18. Did someone Call?:rolleyes:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Took those two bags of rivets to the basement and placed them on the Roadster parts shelf........right on top of the two bags of rivets I bought years ago. I guess I'm better organized than I thought, they'll get used on the Steelback I guess.

Six Ball likes this.
  20. Dang Bob- If I was closer to You, We could wire it up together,and you'de be that much closer......I know what you think about wiring:eek:. I like doing it,and would be a pleasure to help you 'get er' done'!!
    WE wire,you tell stories,WE get it done! Oh ya,you have to buy beer though!:)

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the offer but that is many years down the road, just posted a thread about running conduit or something like it inside the frame rails. Need to find a supplier of covered terminal blocks. I've got this all pictured in my head all finished without any wire in sight except for the plug wires. Bob

22. Bob you are way over thinking!

23. Bob, i ran a piece of 1" electrical conduit down both frame rails on the '31 chevy 4dr i built. i then boxed the frame with a hole drilled in them that the conduit stuck out through, then i cut them flush and welded the conduit to the boxing plates. looked cool.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Not really, Bobby will thank me 15-20 years from now when he starts to wire the thing. I've neatly foulded the towl and given up on trying to understand the wire deal. If I can block the thought of it maybe I make some progress.

Six Ball likes this.
  25. Ok Bob, I like the old style wire loom. That is what I used in the roadster with cloth wires. The loom comes in all sizes.
    001.JPG

oliver westlund likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I plan to paint the underside of my cowl and back of the dash white,that way the smoke and burn marks are easier to find. Bob

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't plan on having a radio, that is one less fire starter to worry about. Bob

28. Bob, don't worry about the wiring, by the time your ready for it it will be fusion powered and will run on corn tassels and seaweed roots with wireless remote controlled by AI.

Runnin shine and ct1932ford like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

LA%20MONEY%20361_zpswkykc7as.jpg LA%20MONEY%20360_zpswbljyjou.jpg Found a pair of 35-36 rear bones at the CSRA Swap Meet today, one more piece of the puzzle.