Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Sounds nice!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks ! Sorry - I don't know how I missed your reply . Crazy times ...

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow , it's been a long time since I added anything to my thread !

Craig & I have been pretty busy the last few weeks , working on the Penny Pincher . We took out the front & rear glass and trimmed-out the seal areas with copper paint . Then we installed a new white perforated headliner (the interior's gonna be white) - turned out pretty damn good for a couple-a-hacks :) . Then we re-installed the glass with new seals & polished-up stainless (new front glass & re-used the rear glass) . Then we fitted up a 54 chevy bumper over-rider on the rear bumper & hooked up the light for the license plate . It felt good to get stuff done .
    We had it out of the garage today to have a look at it with the hubcaps & skirts on it . I'm happy with the results so far . While we were at it , we changed out the water in the rad for antifreeze mix , then we took her for a ride . Another 5 or so miles under her belt . Vids to come !!
    Next order of business is to fit up my NOS front bumper I scored at Hershey , and fitup my grille to see how it fits , then fit the hood to see how THAT fits (oh boy) . Then we'll see what comes next .

Here's a couple pics I shot today . What do ya think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Figured that I'd upload the vids last night & add them to the thread . In the first vid , you can hear Craig & I laughing all the way 'round the block ... we had a ball . I need that kind of inspiration sometimes to keep things rolling along . At one point in the video , Craig accidentally put his finger over the mic on my camera & ya lose sound for about 45 seconds , then it comes back . It's totally not his fault , as I didn't really warn him about how stupid the placement of the mic is (I've done it many times myself , it's right where you'd put your left pointer finger on top - just dumb) . Hell , I didn't even tell him how to work the damn camera , just gave it to him & said "hold this" LOL ! Nevermind all the rattles & stuff , the car has no interior in it yet & no door seals , etc .
    The next 2 vids are short fly-bys to get a feel for the sound outside . The first I've heard it from outside while driving also . Enjoy !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. daddio211

daddio211

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah and looks like fun too!

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys - I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds . It's one of those things , ya don't knoow until it's done , then it's almost too late :) . Craig & I were havin' a ball driving it , laughing like mental patients , just like we did when we took his for it's first ride ... except we had a SEAT in mine , LOL !!

Seriously , without Craig's help , it would take me forever to get this sucker done . I've already been at it for a few years , and that's too long !

8. EBW

EBW

Great Update and videos !!!

9. Slopok

Slopok

Love them Club Coupes. That's the making of a very nice mild custom done as it was back in the day with lead. Sure looks as if you guys are enjoying yourselves workin on the pair.
    In your video it seems to run & ride very smooth. Lookin forward to the completion of your build.

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks . I really can't wait to just be able to drive this thing around more . Come spring , I'll be driving the wheels off this sucker ! I don't think it'll be in finish paint at first (gotta save up some sheckles for that) , but it'll at least be in one color ;) .

Craig & I have been friends for over 20 years & have built plenty of show-winning rides for customers through the years . I'm hoping to at least have a decent driver out of this one , lol !

11. Koz

Koz

Great to see it out on it's own power. I will give you credit for patience and sticking to it!

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hey Koz - how goes it ?? I've been working on this sucker for so long , even I'm growing weary . I need to get it roadworthy before I lose interest - even if it's the wrong way to properly do it . When are we gonna see another finished Koz custom ?

Last night's project was to mount my NOS front bumper I scored at Hershey a few weeks ago & mount the grille (I've been gathering nice bits for the last couple years) . I forgot to take my lower trim piece along to Craig's shop , so it's goin' without for now ;) . All went on without a hitch , as you can see . I've never seen a grille or front bumper on this car as long as I've owned it , and I like what I see .

[​IMG]

13. Sounds great and looking good! HRP

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Looks and sounds great. Congrats

15. This is so right on. Long time comming and light at the end. Should be good motivation to get it painted. I've been driving the wheels off mine. Take it to work everyday. Stored now thou. We have snow.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks ya'll . My plan as of now , is to prime it & get it roadworthy so I can drive it to/from work to get some "confidence miles" on it - meanwhile doing some other mods , like an old-school french on the headlights (not a tunnel-job) , maybe rounded corners on the hood/trunk/doors , get my door actuators figured out - that kinda stuff . Then , once all the mod stuff is done squirt some color on it . That will probably be after my route 66 trip , as that's gonna eat up a lot of my cabbage , and I don't want to postpone the trip , or it'll never happen . I know how this stuff goes ;) .

17. afaulk

afaulk

I really like the Fordilllac engine. I love my SBC but am SO TIRED of seeing them in almost all the old Fords. Good on ya'.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks .

I too , am so tired of seeing the obligatory "belly button" in every old ride ya see . Don't get me wrong , I think the SBC is a good engine , it certanly has it's place ... in a CHEVY , lol ! While I didn't go hog wild thinking outside of the box when picking an engine for my ride , I knew I wanted a reliable engine to drive it every day and wherever I wanted to go , be it to the store or across the nation . That engine was a 302 Ford . The swap is completely reversible , so if I eventually want to put a flatty back in it , I can .
    As for the air filter - when I bought it a few years back , they weren't quite so overplayed . It's a really nice quality air cleaner , and I have it ... so I'm using it for now . I'll paint it up interesting eventually . It's hard to get an air cleaner that looks right on that tall intake .

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

nice progress Buddy! she sounds great.
    any thoughts on paint? if you need me to do any mockups in Photoshop for ya just let me know

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks - I'll have to do that . My original thoughts were to paint the car a copper color (1973 Ford medium copper is a nice color , like a dirty penny) , maybe with scallops in off-white or something . Recently , I've been thinking about maybe doing it in white with copper color scallops (to keep with my copper thoughts) . The car was originally a dark blue metallic color , which is a nice color , but I don't know if I ever had it in my vision for this mild custom - might not be bad though .

One thing I forgot to mention recently - Right before I drove the car , I installed a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac #5751 shock absorbers up front . They fit right in , using the stock lower shock mount brackets and work well (plus , they were only about 60 bucks for the pair) . They are the proper stud/stud design , not the double-bolt style lower mount that I've seen some using , where the lower bracket is actually at 90-degrees to where it should be when bolted to the lower a-arm . Anyways , I wanted to add that so anyone looking to put front shocks on their shoebox can (hopefully) find the info using the search .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I really wanted to see the side trim on it (for the first time) , so I stuck it on there ... with some shipping tape , lol !! Here are a couple of the pics I shot - I think it looks much better with the trim on . Jeez , it'll be a great day when I can see it in COLOR with the trim on it , but that'll be a while yet :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vwdave30 and daddio211 like this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

The side trim definitely breaks up the slab side. Good call to not omit it. Looks great.

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Looks great

24. Slopok

Slopok

I only moved my front fender moulding onto the door so as to not interrupt the flames. 015.JPG

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree - the shoebox definately needs something to break up the sides . My initial thought was to use 55 Chevy trim , like was done back in the day . But since then , I've seen several with that treatment , so I figured for now , I'd do something different ... stock trim , LOL !! When I see something cool to install , I'll most likely change it up . Moving the fender trim to the door on your car was certainly necessary - and worked out well . Looks great !

Thanks , Jerry . It's not moving along as fast as yours , but I'm tryin' :) . She'll be terrorizing the town this spring , I promise !

26. jerseymike

jerseymike

hey allen, videos looked cool! thanks for sending me the e-mail link i couldn't find them. glad to see your moving along and nearing roadworthy. can't wait to see it on the road. keep up the good work.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Mike- this spring I am going to take the car over to your joint so you can drive it . You need a bit of shoebox fun too , and it will certainly give you a bit of inspiration too . I am certainly looking forward to seeing your ride finished . It will turn the custom lovers on their ears , no doubt !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  28. Rathbone

Rathbone

I recently purchased a '49 Ford Coupe and I appreciate all of the effort you put into creating this thread.

My car doesn't have a headliner. In your post, you put the headliner in while the glass is out. Is that mandatory for some reason, or can the headliner be done with the glass in?

29. wutnxt

wutnxt

Budd,
    Love them '49-'51 coupes. Had to sell a real nice black '49 about a year ago to buy my '40.
    That car of yours is lookin 'zackly right.

30. man looking good. what color do you eventually plan on?