Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical banjo axle widening?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Mar 17, 2015.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Has anyone on here ever widened a banjo? Or, is this a bad idea?!

My Model A rear has a '47 truck axle under it, but since I have the car as low as I do, the tires rub the body. I need to fix this. I can either widen the banjo (which I think I'd rather do) or swap an 8" in its place.

I also thought about changing the backspacing of the rear wheels, but I don't think I'll get the space I need.

3blap.

2. Never heard of anyone widening a banjo but that doesn't mean that it can't be done or hasn't been done. You could swap anything into its place that you have at your disposal.

3. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to add a photo... with no success at the moment...

3blap.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

5. Crankhole

Crankhole

Are there any banjos with longer bells that can be used...or is the truck's the widest.?

6. Might try late car banjo. Those old boat fender cars may be pretty wide.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'42-8 car and '42-7 pickup are the same and the widest, with the possible exception of some of the offset banjos used in English trucks...which you aren't likely to find. The actual axles would be a MAJOR problem in widening, much more so than the bells. Only way on that that is even close to sane would be one of the late-model axle and bearing conversions.
    Look to spacers and wheel offsets...on a light car the bearings should be able to easily handle the extra leverage from the offset load.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Probably should've mentioned that I already have the 1.25" spacers that bolt on & have new studs.

Yeah... that's kinda what I figured. I didn't know if the axles were cut/turned down with a male "button" on the cut end, then used a different axle that had a female end cut into it. Tig welded the joint... maybe smooth it out & and then sleeve over the axle & tig again. I would probably have to pay for that service... I don't have access to the machinery & don't know if could safely tig it.

In the end, it might cheapest & easiest to do a swap. I wouldn't mind hanging on to this axle for future projects anyway...

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Not cost effective but could be done with either new machines axles or pull out axles. $$$$$$

10. 3blapcam if you go a different route let me know.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the present width of the banjo, normally a 46 to 48 diff is too wide for a model A and there is a bit more gap between body and tyres. Are you sure it is a 46 diff. Even an earlier one should work unless you have very wide tyres.

12. Your wheels must be really deep and offset. You could try reversing the wheels. I did this for my car. I have an 8" with adapters so I could run my old steelies, which are reversed. Just is enough room. However the '34 body is likely a few inches wider than the A. I'm assuming the wheel opening is lower than the top tire? Tim

13. 3blapcam

3blapcam

What are you saying?

14. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Yeah, it's the correct year. I cut the parallel leaf mounts off the housing to dress it up a tad. IMG_1229[1].JPG

15. How about a side view? Might be time for some creative body work.
    The Wizzard

16. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I can give you the side view, but I'd rather swap the axle than do some crazy body work... at this point!

17. 3blapcam

3blapcam

18. How about flipping the centers on the wheels? Might give you what you need.

19. How far off the ground is the pitman arm?

How about the bone mounts?

20. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Got it. You don't like the car.

21. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Thought about it... I have two wheels that need hoops anyway.

22. I seem to have a bad memory of doing 50 Merc 15" cnters and Buick hoops getting a full off set. This led to my first fender opening modification because they didn't fit inside. Wheels looked good with the deep center but my 40 Ford rear fenders didn't survive. That was 50+ years ago so don't start picking on me now. New fenders were easy to come by back then.
    The Wizzard

23. It's not that at all,
    You've slammed it and even though that's not necessarily my cup of tea, I can dig it when its done right.

Running low comes with its own obstacles. Having the car kill you or someone else should you loose control is avoidable.
    Scrub line is one, steering components contacting the ground is another.

When they get slammed with tires into the windows it throws off the lines. Some think its cool, some dont but regardless The rear end width needs to be wide, too wide for it to look good from the rear.
    Getting the car that low requires an anti-section. Leave the widow tire relation alone and add a few inches to the bottom of the car.

So how far off the ground are those two silly things ?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    gwhite likes this.
  24. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Yeah, things are close. The only times it's ever contacted the ground is over speed bumps, which are taken at a snail's pace. Radius rod mounts are not exiting the frame without way more severe consequences happening to the driver first.

25. Am I reading this wrong?

Because it sounds like after the driver (you) looses control and fucks himself (yourself) up with "way more severe consequences happening to the driver first" that what ever happens to anyone else because of this out of control if of no concern.

I might be wrong -

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I read it the same way. Guys who TOTALLY ignore sound engineering and physics in favor of "style" are a menace to all of us. Maybe they didn't know better when they started the build and that would explain the problem. But when confronted with sound advice, and they blow it off, there is no excuse.

Ray

27. 3blapcam

3blapcam

You are. What I am saying is that the frame is not coming apart. In the case that it does, it's already over for the driver. News flash... these cars are not up to the latest safety standards. I don't even have seat belts in the car! When I built this car, I knew there were risks. I associate driving this car with riding a motorcycle. At any time, my life (as the driver) could be over in an instant. Plain and simple. I'm a firefighter by trade. I cut people out of cars several times a year... Death happens. MOST of the time, it's avoidable. Shit happens on a regular basis. Enjoy life before it's gone!

28. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I read A LOT about bump steer when building my car. I also noted A LOT of cars that had similar designs for years with no issues. I have never had "bump steer" with this this design. I drive a bone stock 2007 Jeep Wrangler on the reg and have had more issues with that stock steering geometry "wiggling" going down the road than my sedan.

Sometimes you have to try it... I'm sure in theory, it could happen. But, it hasn't.

29. 3blapcam

3blapcam

This thread is about banjo axles...

In 11 years, I've had 347 posts. If you don't like the car, keep your opinions to yourself. As I have.

3blap.

bundybiker likes this.