Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercury TopChop blues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Now it´s time to get this build started.The build is a 50 Merc I will chop for a couple that I know.It was supposed to be started at last fall but when taking out the interior and prepping for the chop there showed up some rust issues.We decided not to rush away with the chop but instead take the time to fix the rott before cutting the roof.The rotted areas was located to upper part of the rockers both sides, passenger front floor and trunk floor.Most likely the carpet got wet and caused the rust. I started with the trunk and Magnus ( the owner) made a wooden buck for hammer form.

Here´s the patient. A really good looking car

P1010946_800x600.JPG
    The wooden buck and the sheet that will be the new floor
    P1020178_800x600.JPG

Here you can see how I heat shrinking the radiused corner over the buck
    P1020180_800x600.JPG
    Made the beads in the pullmax and here I test fitting
    P1020203_800x600.JPG

2. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

3. Looks good. .....

4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I will be following this because you Swedish guys are just amazing metal fabricators !!! Larry

CHUCK50DODGE and 60'coupe like this.

5. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Don't chop it !!! What a great looking car as is....

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  6. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Go,go,go Kenneth..... I'm subscribed. It's upon time we get a smoth traditional chopped merc in our area of living! Will Mange&Ullis build it like an Barris or Ayala clone? Nice collection of Kustomstuff you have in background. Let this be a thread full of pictures! CAMERA aaaaaaand action......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

CadMad likes this.
  7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Nice work! I'm staring down the barrel of a rust nightmare also. It's cool to see how you did this. I will be following this build.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Nice work on the patch.

9. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Exciting.Great work so far.I look forward to follow this build.Especially the roof chop.Thanks for sharing.

(Btw,I NEVER :eek: thought I would say something like this but the forward rake works for me on the stock car together with the '49/'50 skirts.I kinda like the look.)

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good plan, start with a good foundation first.

11. Thanks a lot guys.
    Jock it will not be a clone of one but it will be in early 50s style .
    Frenz.The forward rake is just because of the lack of interior. It will sit with a nice taildraggin stance when done.

Made a new corner piece for the trunk and have the complete trunk welded in , grinded and done P1020204_800x600.JPG P1020215_800x600.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Jacob Goodin, Okie Pete and Dave Mc like this.
  12. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looking good! So cool to work with a unchopped 2dr mercury here in Sweden not many of those. Sure will look amazing chopped.

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Yes,I totally understand the car won't stay like this.I hate forward rake on cars with skirts.That's a no-no-no.But like I said,it looks okay with the '49/'50 skirts which show more of the rear wheel and the swoopy lower contour helps too.But enough of that.I really look forward to see the Mercury progressing.What plans do you guys have for the chop ? Straight or slanted B-pillar ? Extended quarter windows and rear window in stock position I hope.

One more thing...what size tires is on this Merc ?

14. Tire size is 7,00-15.
    The B-pillars will be slanted,rearwindow stays and so does the beltline. Rear quarter windows will most likely be extended to where they look right. The amount of chop is still a question we debate about, you know the guy who´s one of the owners is pretty tall but his girlfriend on the other hand are quite the opposite. I´m a big fan of Jeff Nepples car and I do my best to talk them into a similar chop but we will see.

15. Also made new rockers and passenger floor board.

Cut out floor and the bad rocker.

P1020219_800x600.JPG

New floorboard
    P1020218_800x600.JPG

Rockers and floor installed
    P1020225_800x600.JPG P1020231_800x600.JPG

Jacob Goodin, Squablow and dlandberg like this.
  16. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks much Kenneth.Plans for the chop sound right.Jeff Nepple's Mercury is really nice.Jerry Quesnel's Mercury is one of my favorites.But lately a straight post chop is growing on me.Think of Sam Barris' and Wally Walch's Mercury's.It's the more understated way to chop a Mercury.No matter what you do,I know the chop will turn out nice.You do great work Kenneth.Thanks much for sharing.Greatly appreciated !

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice work on the floor Kenneth! How did you form the oval openings in the rockers?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  18. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

YES,a very clean & professional sheetmetal work you've done! Love to see talents like this...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Awesome! Way to fix the other stuff first. It'll make chopping the top that much more fun!

20. Thanks guys.
    I drilled a hole in each end of the oval with a holesaw and then I cut between the holes with a anglegrinder. The recessed part surrounding the hole I made in the pullmax with stepping dies. P1020209_800x600.JPG P1020210_800x600.JPG

Now the rust is done and I have braced the body.I used a square bar to brace the rear window opening. I rolled it in the round braker first so it got the same curve as the glass.By doing that I think it´ll be easier to see how the roof flows along with the window without having the glass in and risking it to crack.Also put in a center bar in the windshield opening for reference when the roof coming down.

Waiting for the doorhinges to get freshend up and then the doors will go back in before cutting the roof.
    P1020223_800x600.JPG P1020224_800x600.JPG P1020230_800x600.JPG P1020226_800x600.JPG P1020228_800x600.JPG

Jacob Goodin and 1952B3b23 like this.
  21. Considering Jeff's Merc was chopped by Downriver Kustom Legend Dick Dean how can you go wrong

22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you for the explanation and photos kenneth!

23. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looks real good!!! looking forward to se the following steps.

24. Know the time has come.Over the hollidays the roof came off ,the pillars where cut and roof tacked back on.Rear window is also mocked up. Thanks to Wolf and Rik for good advices. I cut the A-pillars 4″ along the post ( 3″ vertikal amount) and the C-pillar is cut 5″ vertikal. Rear window is now in it´s stock possition and tilted forward to where it flows with the roof.An even radius from the roof continuing in to glass and down to the trunk was the goal and I think it came out great.
    Still not sure if the rearwindow will stay where it is or if I shall move it slightly forward.Have to think about it for a while. Quarter windows is extended 3″ on the top bow.

When I got the roof and window in place I send some photos to Rik to finish them with color and chrome details for a better wiev and it turned out pretty good I think. Not very far from what I have in mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Wow....that looks amazing

26. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Wow, that looks fantastic. I love it

27. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

That's perfect.Very nice work Kenneth.Rik did a nice job too.This is how a chopped Mercury Coupe has to look.Thanks much for sharing.Can't wait to see more !

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Man that looks sweet!

29. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

The Swedster
    Looks good