Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 BUICK rear propeller shaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1959Buick, Mar 13, 2015.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Good evening everybody Spring is coming and I like to drive my Buick again .Looking in the book it says to lubricant the rear propeller shaft with grease Does anyone knows, how much grease goes in the 59 BUICK rear propeller shaft? Can I put to much in there.
    Thanks for any help

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I can't imagine they are referring to anything other than u-joints and/or slip yoke splines.
    The 'propeller shaft' (aka driveshaft) itself doesn't need any lubrication.

You might close examine the u-joints for grease zerk fittings. If none are found, clean up the joints and look for a small depression with a little hole in it. As I recall, some joints used a blunt needle like tool, not unlike a basketball filler, that was used in conjunction with a grease gun to lube them.

When all else fails, read the instructions. I am sure the Factory Service Manual describes the process.

Ray

3. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Depending on who owned the car before you and what they did for replacing joints, there may not be grease zerks in the joints. Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the manufacturer and part number of the joints.

4. Is the Buick some sort of boat engine?

The only car I was aware of having a propeller shaft is a Amphi Car. :rolleyes: HRP

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

This Buick has a torque tube(closed driveshaft) Whole different set up than regular u joints at each end of the drive shaft

6. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Yes, it's a torque tube with internal driveshaft. I know the tube itself is supposed to be empty and I wouldn't think you would ever disassemble it to grease it, because its a big job.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I won't trust the source I want to on 59 Buick info again as it showed a two piece drive shaft with 3 U joints and a center support.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

1959 Buicks have an enclosed driveshaft (torque tube), they DO NOT have the two piece driveshaft common on other GM cars 1958-1964.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Man....did I blow that one (post #2) and I am a "Buick Guy" !

Totally forgot about the torque tube driveline.........was envisioning later version.

Well, in the future, if you trade up a couple of years....ya know what to look for :D

Ray

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wait 'til the rear seal goes bad in the Dynaflush & all the ATF runs into the rear end & starts leaking into the brakes ... them Buicks is funny built cars ...

11. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

scan0001.jpg Thanks for the reply .
    Yes there is a grease fitting.
    But with the housing, you can't see what the grease is doing . It says in the book one quick shot. I just bought this old tank with original 38,000 miles. What I do not know is, if the previous owner greased the propeller shaft at all. The car was sitting in a garage for 40 years.

12. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks for the help

13. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks for the help. And yes you are right. (who owned the car before you and what they did for replacing joints, there may not be grease)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it appears that the info I used was wrong and I apologize for that.
    More research today shows that Buicks had torque tubes through 1960 in full size cars.

Looking at you diagram you will have to have the rear tires off the ground so you can rotate the wheels and then driveshaft to line up the propshaft lubrication fitting with the lubrication fitting plug. My guess is that unless a lube guy was well versed in torque tube Buicks that plug has never been out.
    You will probably need a needle adapter or special grease gun fitting to go though the hole after you pull the plug out.

15. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Yes, this is what I did. The Plug was easy to remove. The car is like new underneath. NO RUST AT ALL. I found the grease nipple. But how much goes in there. It says in the book one quick shot. I do not know when the car had the last shot. I thing I just do 2 shot and then every year one shot.
    Thanks for your help Mr48chev

16. GKM

GKM

Torque tube.