Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. daddylama

daddylama

you're killin' it!
    (i mean that in a very good way)

2. nickk

nickk

Still loving this build, over the last few nights I've been channeling my 30 ford coupe and used your idea just kinda made it my own, but worked great and super clean!

moparob likes this.
  3. Thanks again for kind words! I'm always amazed at how many views and replies my silly little car gets on here!

I pulled the body off the frame (hopefully for the final time) and flipped it upside down with the help of my brother and my mate Steve (thanks) to tidy up a few loose ends underneath.

[​IMG]

first job was to fabricate a 1" return lip on the cutout i made to clear the rear axle and spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would have looked weird if i'd have left the raised rib that ford pressed into the wheel well like that so i cut a small pie cut in it, and beat it flat with a hammer and dolly to terminate the rib a few inches higher up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One side done, one more to go!

catdad49, Stogy, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  4. nickk

nickk

Hell yeah, this is also my next process, good idea, I don't think I'll have to cut out so much but time will tell.

5. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

Just read the entire thread...amazing work.

6. Love this build! Really nice work!

7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Great Project, a lot of great work. I'm after an alternator that will look right on my 40, what have you used for yours?

[​IMG]

catdad49, Stogy, Strittan and 2 others like this.
  8. Just read through the entire build, very great work and the car looks awesome!

9. Voh

Voh

Who's alternator is that? I like the looks of it!

10. krkx93

krkx93

Just scrolled through this entire thread. Your quality of work is great and inspiring man! Keep it up!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

X-2 on the alternator???
    Killer skills on this build.. I dig it!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. nickk

nickk

have any pictures of the floor?

13. nickk

nickk

or what you have so far?

14. jamie34

jamie34

Think Neil used a powermaster alternator but took it apart and machined the casing down have to go back a few pages to see it. (Page13)

15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have been watching this build for several years and I always am amazed at the beautiful fabrication work. I only hope to make parts that look this good.

16. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

VERY NICE WORK !!!!!! Chris

17. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Outstanding skills and ideas!

18. nickk

nickk

What size tires are those, looks like 7.50 on rear and 5.50 up front?

19. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Every so often you come across a build where a dude has the attitude of "fuck it, I'll build my own".
    Limited space, Limited tools, limited skills/experience (Dare I say time?). Hell Yes!
    Thats what I love about this Hobby (lifestyle).

Seriously following.

Dan

RodNoc and yblock32 like this.
  20. Its a long GM style powergen that i took apart and shortened.

I have a few loose ends to tie up on the floor so i'll get some pics soon.

The fronts are 4.50-4.75 x 16, the rears are 7.00 x 16

Thanks! And i do very often find myself saying "fuck it, I'll build my own". mainly because it's literally impossible to buy any kind of hot rod parts or early ford parts on the island that i live on. There aren't even any shops here that sell imperial stainless bolts! Almost all of the stuff that i need i have to import from either mainland UK or USA which can be very expensive, difficult, and time consuming so i end up making a lot of parts. It's also a lot more satisfying that way.

catdad49, Runnin shine and volvobrynk like this.
  21. i took my chassis for a drive to my mate nicks place for him to sand blast so i could finish weld modifications.

[​IMG]

One of the wishbone mounts finish welded

[​IMG]

After i'd welded up all those pieces and god knows how many redundant holes i took it back to nicks for a good thick coat of black epoxy primer. Once i had it back at mine i spent an age flatting the primer back and putting a very light skim of filler on the rails to correct a few slightly low spots.

[​IMG]

I made a make shift paint booth for a few topcoats of black 2K (after priming the filled bits)

[​IMG]

Sneaky peek at the topcoat-

[​IMG]

22. Nick spent this morning blasting and priming my axles, torque tube, and wishones (cheers mate)

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. In between the big stuff, i've been doing all the little finicky bits like radiusing the ends of both leaf springs and prepping all the little pieces which are now at the powder coaters. I can't wait to get them all back and start bolting stuff together!

[​IMG]

24. I have no idea if this upload will work or not, but hopefully its a short video of a MIG weld on one of the wishbone mounts.

25. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

26. YJ4000

YJ4000

Very nice work. The frame looks fantastic. Did cleaning up the springs take a long time? That is a neat detail.

Ryan.

27. pearl31

pearl31

Great work, everytime I see this thread it makes me want to go to the garage and fab something.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Great work,every time I see this thread it makes me want to go to the garage and refab something better.
    :)
    Cool build I like it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Not really, probably 15 mins per leaf.

30. Got my first batch of parts back from the powder coaters

[​IMG]

But for these other parts i stripped all the old paint off with a wire wheel in a grinder and sprayed them with 2 part epoxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a scrap piece of stainless to cut out some new shackle plates with my grinder because the old galvanised ones looked shit. Then i cleaned up and buffed them

[​IMG]

catdad49, Stogy, AHotRod and 5 others like this.