Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Why I Was Late To Work This Morning...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

They other day I computed my daddy 5tons Bedford Truck to work. It's 52km a way, for two days. That's a l long drive when it's 4.40 I leave my house, and 14.15 I can leave work. The one of those two days we had a auction for after work, and it bought a lot of equipment and left at 21.00.

And I most confess that a 5 tons early 60s AD looking kind of truck is a rough deal.
    I listens to the radio on my phone, mostly for traffic info, but also to keep the noise down a little.

But no way I'm hell I would ever give up that Defroster, and at between 0-5 degrees Celsius. I would have loved a cab heater!!!!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425923020.593618.jpg

But damn I would love to take a old truck to
    Work every day.
    I plan is coming together in the back of my head.

And wine is overrated, compared to hot rods! Stick to rods and trucks!

prefect20 likes this.
  2. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Ryan! this is your second post I've read regarding the inadequacies of the 64 FORD f100 heater defrost unit.
    It's time to fix it. I live in a slightly less tolerable climate than you and after rebuilding-mine works fantastic. Do I need to do a tech article for you. Better yet, you're the writer you do it, - you'll love the old truck even more. Ok, leave it with me and I'll do it fer crynoutloud.
    And on the subject of getting the kids around in old cars I am now into the grand kids level, proudly I might add. However it is an issue with car seats and no airbags kind of stuff with new mommies. But I do have to say my 2 grandaughters love Poppys old cars. And this really warms my heart. Last summer we sat on the tailgate and talked about her training wheels. It was something I will always cherish and remember.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Do you really want the Soccer Moms to like what you are doing? ha I'll take the old pickup in any kind of accident verus the soccer mom mobiles...Keep doing it your way.......

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@Ryan look on the brightside, atleast there wasn't a boss at work to chew you out for being late.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm fortunate that I've never felt judged in the line-up. Not even when I had my rattle-trap Rambler American with no seatbelts, half an exhaust on the flathead six, and a big rust hole in the top of one fender. The closest I've come is a divorce lawyer cross-examining me (casually, at a dinner - I'm happily married) about the safety of using booster seats in an old car with just lap belts. Turns out, I had that one wrong (they're designed to put the chest belt cross the chest instead of the neck / face), so now I just use the lap belts.

I hear you on the non-working defroster, though. The only thing I hate about DDing something that old.

6. I don't ever remember giving a crap about what any soccer mom ever thought of my parenting skills or my carting my kids around in my hot rods.

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO SAY.
    YOU LUCKY DOG:)

8. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

The fog was here in Houston this a.m. as well. I have a defroster in the 72 Suburban I was driving. All the back windows are tinted as dark as I could get them and fogged up nicely. So naturally ever dumbass with no headlights on wants to drive next to the old truck...I only had to honk and give the finger once.

9. For the number of days you need it, you can get away with no defroster/heater but not here! It didn't take long to install both in my old 46 because it got driven daily, year 'round in the midwest. Newport wipers too. 46insnow1_10small.JPG

enloe likes this.
  10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet some of the scowls were pangs of jealousy. And if you ever decide to part with that "piece of shit" as you call it...

11. Fog? What about 3 feet of snow!:eek: Plus ice on the roof causing leaks.:mad: On the other hand I can stay in bed as long as I want since my kids are grown and out on their own and I am retired.:D I know you love every minute of it;) I do get up at 6:30 to let the dog out:rolleyes:

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  12. I get the opposite in my truck, and I don't have side glass, or heater. The Moms, and other kids are oohin and arrrin over the truck. They all love it, and the kid is proud as hell about riding in it.
    Shiny paint and flames seem to help :D
    On the wine side, well these things happen, just dont make the mistake of drinkin wine in the sun.
    That'll cure ya! :eek:

13. Jake H.

Jake H.

Oh man, how I can relate to this one!

I have been daily-driving my '66 F100 for about four years, now. And dropping my boys (8 and 11, now) off at school gets me more than a few stink-eyes from the soccer moms and faculty.
    Now, since the weather has been great for about a week, I am driving the '39 Tudor every day, sans hood, and I am waiting for CPS to call me any day, on anonymous tips. I did put lap belts in it, and they both ride in the "aft chamber"...
    Both my boys love the old iron. And now they cringe and hide when I drive the "civilian" car I recently acquired ('95 TBird, yecchh, I know, but it was FREE).

14. Tony

Tony

During your multiple trips, cold, fog and no radio i'll bet at some point you'll look back at it and smile because even though it may have been a pain in the ass today, it's still an great feeling to be behind the wheel of something that isnt built with plastic and controlled by a computer. :)

I drive my 52 Chevy truck from when the salt is gone to when they drop it here in upstate NY...through much rain, cold etc etc because that seems to be what out normal weather pattern is lately..
    And when i built it i put it heat/air/defrost, electric wipers and a decent stereo just so that i wouldnt say it was a pain in the ass. Lol
    A few of the best investments I've made on that thing.

Tony

prefect20 likes this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

The girls and the wife had to endure more than few rides in my 42 Ford Coupe. 6 Volts, vacuum wipers, and little or no heat, does it get any better? Hope you get well, my friend!!

16. Bit of advice, Make sure your relatives buy better wine & buy your self some RAINX,it works on the inside also.
    Try driving a 32 roadster with out side curtains in a whiteout or serious hail storm. Oh also carry a blanket for the little people. You haven't had a hangover until it takes three days to get over it. heh heh he Glad evything worked out for you or did it? Wait till Juno tells mom!!! heh heh he

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

When I was five or so,my head hit the dashboard of my Dads Pontiac ,putting the script "caitnoP" on my forehead.The Catalina didn't have seatbelts,but I've always found them to be highly overrated anyway.And I'm sure my brain damage didn't result from that moment.either......what were we talking about :)

Either way,I'm not much for that new car smell.I'll put up with the creaks,rattles,and other foibles of vintage ride and usually be happy doing so.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree, fix the damned heater. Hell, we'll start a buy Ryan a working heater fund if we have to.
    A new set of wiper blades wouldn't hurt either. I got caught in a similar downpour with my mom's diesel towing my sailboat with iffy wipers and it wasn't fun.

Saw a fb post by my niece in Austin this morning and it sounded like you guys had an official March Texas gully washer going on.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think the heater is even broken... Just a bad switch... And yes, I've known this for months. I just suck is all.

Oh, and the wiper blades are brand spanking new.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

has anyone ever put windshield wipers on the inside

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I know where you can get a great a/c with defrost feature. It's really not selling out.
    However, the wine thing (or is it a friend thing)...?
    BTW, wait til your kids ask you to drop them off "down the block" in your old truck - been there.

22. Rain-X makes a anti fog for the inside of the windshield and it works! HRP

23. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

First world problem. Any MILF's in the soccer mom battalion?

loudbang likes this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"It’s romantic. It’s dreamy. It’s awesome really."

Yea wine is too... until you drink too much......you pussy.
    That's how wives thinking just how cute you are get pregnant :).... WITH OUT you remembering you participated.

Hot Rod 101.....RainX in and out and a rag for the inside fog just in case.
    Live and learn rookie.

Nice going forgetting lunch..........
    It makes for a hero Dad return trip coming to the rescue.

The main thing though no matter what is your daughter is safe......... you're a good Dad.

Wine headaches are no fun.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Olson likes this.
  25. but don't use your tire-dressing rag to wipe the windshield. Did it in a pouring rain [53 ford pickup] and was blinded!

26. A lot of us can relate to that. No heater, no defrost, no radio, just the bare necessities for getting from one place to another all the while dealing with the little idiosyncrasies of vehicles wearing out.
    I bet you wouldn't change a thing..

27. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to keep a coolie in my daily driven 55 Chevy to wipe the window from the inside. Worked pretty good.

28. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Back in the late 60's I was routinely picked up in by my dad in his '49 Chevy 3100. It was pretty old then and the looked it too. He used to laugh and say everyone was afraid to park near him and possibly nick their car. That was his ride and that's the way it was. Gee I miss that. Your child will to some day. Thanks for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Welcome to real life. This helps to enjoy the good days even more.;)

30. jdownunder

jdownunder

i hear what your saying
    i live up a gravel road in the country that the school bus doesnt come up so down the hwy every afternoon
    in my heap of shit f100,no heater,no demister"roll of paper towel works a treat"
    stick to beer it'll keep things clearer
    i work from home and im still late for work;)