Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where old hot rodders retire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Feb 28, 2015.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Same story in NC where my son lives. Snows 2-4 inches and they shut down schools and even some restaurants. The"McDonalds" in town was actually closed last snow fall. Cars sliding all over the place....must be tough living in the sun belt!

2. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Amarillo is heaven!

3. These last two winters in my part of Pennsylvania have been brutal. I surrender and it REALLY is starting to wear on me like I never expected it too. I live in a small village at the end of the road with no municipal road maintenance. Bought a skid steer to maintain the road so the wife and I can get to our house. The dead beat do nothing neighbors along the road reap the benefit of my labor and contribute nothing. They have enough nerve to complain I'm not doing it right and bitch I'm turning over the dirty side of the stones. I say FUC_ THEM. I planned on staying here just to do whatever I could to piss them off but if these winters keep up the way it has been I'm moving to piss them off and leaving them to plow and maintain their own roads. Family? Was kind of hoping the kids would move away once they got older but no luck. If we move I'm selling everything because I have to much to move and hoping the kids won't follow. Thinking about somewhere between Phoenix and Flagstaff Arizona.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. mustangsix

mustangsix

From another forum I hang out on:

You can retire to Phoenix, Arizona where...
    1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away from your house because you found shade.
    2. You've experienced condensation on your ass from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
    3. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.
    4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.
    5. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.
    6. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

OR

You can retire to California where...
    1. You make over $450,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.
    2. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
    3. You know how to eat an artichoke.
    4. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.
    5. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.
    6. The 4 seasons are: Fire, Flood, Mud, and Drought.

OR

You can retire to New York City where...
    1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.
    2. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.
    3. You think Central Park is "nature."
    4. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.
    5. You've worn out a car horn. (IF you have a car).
    6. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

OR

You can retire to Minnesota where...
    1. You only have three spices: salt, pepper, and ketchup ...
    2. Halloween costumes have to fit over parkas.
    3. You have seventeen recipes for casserole.
    4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.
    5. The four seasons are: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road repair.
    6. The highest level of criticism is "He is different, she is different or It was different!

OR

You can retire to The Deep South where...
    1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.
    2. "Y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural.
    3. "He needed killin" is a valid defense.
    4. Everyone has two first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Joe Bob, Betty Jean, Mary Beth, etc.
    5. Everywhere is either: "over thar," "over yonder" or "down the road a piece".

OR

You can retire to Colorado where...
    1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.
    2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home, so he stops at the day care center.
    3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.
    4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

OR

You can retire to the Nebraska where...
    1. You've never met any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.
    2. Your idea of a traffic jam is three cars waiting to pass a tractor.
    3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.
    4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at.

OR

You can retire to Ohio or Illinois where...
    1) Nah - Nobody would ever want to do that.

AND

FINALLY You can retire to Florida where...
    1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.
    2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.
    3. Everyone can recommended an excellent cardiologist, dermatologist, proctologist, podiatrist, or orthopedist.
    4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.
    5. Die at 8 PM and still have a full obit in the morning newspaper.
    6. Cars in front of you often appear to be driven by headless people at 35 miles per hour regardless of the speed limit.

5. I was in one helluva storm in Amarillo once, so "sometimes its heaven and sometimes its hell and sometimes I don't even know"

I do like the pan handle, I have never lived there but I have crossed it more times then I can remember and only got caught in the one storm. ;)

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O The one time I drove into Amarillo it was in May of 2013 and it was 100 F and the wind was howling with dirt and dust blowing everywhere.
    Heaven :D:confused: I always thought heaven was going to look different :D

7. The storm I rode into was in Nov of '80. When I left OKie City the wind chill was 15 below and I was riding into the wind. I managed to get behind a semi and that helped. from my motel room I watched a tumble weed as big as a volkswagon roll down the road. But I got a hot shower and a good steak so all was good for me. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

You have to love this post!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Can I hear pros & cons for the Florida Villages?

10. A Boner

A Boner

How about southern Virginia.....Danville area? Was only there once, but it really seemed like a nice place. Is it as nice to live there as it seems when you visit for a few days?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. Con they are full of old folks.
    Pro they are filled with old folks.

I personally don't want to be retired in a normal retirement place, I want to be surrounded by the young and the restless. Some people think that young people make them feel old but the truth is that young people will breed life into you.

12. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Those retirement places are for old farts that like to bitch about their ailments. I'm only 70 so I'm way too young for that shit! (as he sits here with ice on yesterday's geezer maintenance surgery)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. LOL I got new lowers this year and they are kickin' my ass. But I ain't complainin' just makin' an excuse to not play nice. :D

14. Just kill me now:eek:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Seems I remember ads for a "car" community in the NC mountains a few years back "??? Nest" or something similar. Big community garage with all the fixin's - tools, lifts, heat, A/C, etc, etc. It either bombed or sold out. Haven't heard anything more. I'm hoping to win the lottery so I can pack up & go for a while when the weather or something else pisses me off!!! In the mean time, I'll just stay put - went outside today in a T-shirt - 81 degrees & sunny. First time without a sweater & coat in months. Hope it stays around 'til Myrtle beach & Charlotte Auto Fair is over before acting up!!!

16. kasultana

kasultana

Come on down to Charlotte, NC area.

17. There was a guy on her when I first joined that was considering that concept, the wife and I have also kicked it around some. We have more or less landed on maybe starting a rod ready B&B, but I guess we would accept year round residents if they were willing to help with the dishes. ;)

18. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

That's a good idea, but fatten up the package by providing one bay of garage space and the use of your tools along with some of your sage advice and you can sign me up for a few days at "Beaners Hot Rod B&B"!!!

19. rfraze

rfraze

There you go benno! Your first booking.

20. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

He's gonna be rich!!!

21. I DO DISHES!:eek:
    [​IMG]

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Hawks Hill Collector Car Community near Lenoir, NC in the foothills. Their website is gone, but they have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hawks-Hill-Car-community/250137145015089?sk=info&tab=overview

23. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I don't wish to speak for others regarding the Villages but here is my take. Went there two winters ago for a drive through and visit friends. Heard a lot about it from others and it offers numerous social activities. Have an active car club there as I understand. Plenty of golf ( I don't) swimming pools, social clubs( I wont) of all description for your bride etc. etc. Way big and way busy when we were there. Golf carts screaming by all day, driven by "old guys" that probably had imagined having a hot rod in the garage. Homes start very low and go way up from there. Premium lots and houses cost premium $$ even by Florida standards. Not done expanding and the sprawl can be daunting. Not close to the beaches if that's important to you. Its actually in the middle of a large faceless expanse of pine trees. Sorry if I offended others but that's my opinion.

24. Newly weds and nearly deads.

TagMan likes this.
  25. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

High rate of STD's

26. Rathbone

Rathbone

The Daytona Beach area is the best - from St. Augustine to New Smyrna. There's no state or local income taxes and the State is very easy-going with regulations on Hot Rods. There's a show of some kind every day of the week around Daytona, a great Monthly show in New Smyrna, and the Turkey Rod Run is the largest car show and largest swap meet in the South East. I tell my old friends and family who still live up North that my life is better than their vacations. If you don't believe me and choose somewhere else - it's your own mistake.

Wayne67vert likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've been following this thread since I found it, and posted several days ago, which usually automatically subscribes you to a thread.
    But last few months sometimes thread subscriptions seem to just "drop out" and you lose track of the thread.
    This happened again to me on this thread.
    Am I not doing something that I'm supposed to do when I post? Is there now a link you need to clk or something?

28. The place has a 100 year old Mansion ( I use the term loosely) and a 30x40 metal pole building/garage. probably room to pull one in and fix it, that was part of the plan as for it being hot rod friendly. Our thoughts were to build a couple of cottages with the side car port like a 40/50s motor lodge and then come up to the house for breakfast.

Oh and my tools are always available even here in the city. ;)

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just click on 'watch thread at the upper right hand corner of any page just above the first post

30. To Quote sir
    sir

from grants pass oregon

CHECK OUT SOUTHERN OREGON (BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE WEST)

Please don't let the cat out of the bag. It's been the best weather this year. Got into the high 30's 2 or 3 nights and only about 15 inches of rain. Most days have been in the 60's. Normally over 50" November to March. After that just a few days until October. Never gets that hot due to proximity to the Pacific.
    Moved her from Michigan 12 years ago

Movin/on