Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jer. Not to add to the list of issues you are dealing with as you near the end of your build, but I wonder about the back seat.. Did Jesse leave that one at stock height? I know there is no way to sit back there in mine with the stock-height seat (I don't have friends, so it's not that big an issue - but you?). :rolleyes::D

Dave

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

I have not asked Jesse about every little minute thing because on occasion I'll get "I don't know". I have been back there in/on that seat, but because I'm 6'5", it's not a valid way of trying to figure out how things might have worked sometimes.

I do know that that area was pretty much designated for Jesse's sister Marge and her then boyfriend, now husband Bill Weiser.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. I'm surprised at the things Jesse remembers as it is! So I'm not surprised at the occasional "I don't know" from him. I wondered about the back seat because it showed in the pic and I recall just how confined that area is in my coupe - I'm 6'5" as well so it does make for a squeeze... :)

Of course - one issue at a time, right?

Dave

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Sorry guy's, it's been to damn cold out in the shop these last two day's.

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

With the potential of a lot of effort for a little gain, I'm intrigued by Rich's use of late model seat tracks. I've got my middle son's wrecked '08 Cavalier on the back forty, they are pretty slim and compact (after the long legs are removed). We'll see how it works out. 001.JPG

6. I originally tried some late model tracks; but I ended up using some universal tracks from Speedway as they were thinner. I didn't C-notch the seat frame like you did, so my seat frame is probably a little higher. Floor has some been extra braces added for bucket seats
    at one time. Earlier post with the picture got lost for some reason, I'll try again.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Seat-Sliders,7103.html
    137 seat frame.jpg

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

The seat tracks actually fit in the stock '41 Ford bolts on the seat frame. They are really compact, so we'll have to see about this, lookin' good though 001 (5).JPG .

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Nice to see this part of the build falling into place. :)

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think I'll be able to make these work, as well as them being able to be adjustable. Sorry no pic tonight.

10. Jer, this has been very exciting to watch and I am loving this car. Just so accurate with all your details. Thanks for sharing all of this.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks guy's.This is turning into a big production, how everything relates to each other when something is changed. 001 (2).JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  12. Torchie

Torchie

Change one thing. Change it all........
    Keep at it Jer.
    Torchie

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Today was a day of contemplation and analysis. I'm not a bleeder, but I am getting concerned about running out of band aids, gauze, tape, and Neosporin.

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Every fraction of an inch is precious. There might be 1/2 of an inch here. 003 (2).JPG

15. Torchie

Torchie

I hear you on that 1/2 an inch Jer. Did the same thing on my custom truck project seat. A little here and a little there..... Makes all the difference in the world.
    Torchie

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, I think I'm on the right "track", more pics to follow. 004 (2).JPG

daddio211 and RICH B like this.
  17. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm close to wrapping this up. My next priority is to go back to the trim shop and get things "adjusted" and redo the "damage" that I've done with these mods. 006.JPG 007.JPG

RICH B likes this.
  18. jivin jer

jivin jer

The seat will no longer come together with the seat frame because of the drive shaft hump that's been put in it. I think I'll let the trimmer deal with it. I'm going to try and see him tommorrw. 005.JPG 006.JPG

19. Two steps forward, one step back. Thanks for posting all the ups and downs Jerry...it's helpful for those of us facing the same problem.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

Agreed! Seeing how many times others re-do something until it is just right has been a revelation for me. That goes for you too, Dave. Thanks both of you.

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Chris (the trimmer) has a cool '57 Bel Air in his shop that will be done in a couple of weeks. I told him that I need my car in and out as soon as possible. I added that the only big thing that's left to do is the rear cross member (stance). His reply was that I should get that taken care of and call him because he would probably would be ready to get me in.

Well... there goes the (early) spring break. Sooooo...here we go.

22. Marty Skelton

Marty Skelton

23. Marty Skelton

Marty Skelton

Hey Jer, What is the color code? Love the hood!

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hi Marty. Post #1009 will give you the process that eventually gave me the correct color. My automotive paint store couldn't match the spray out cards in PPG eurethane, they used their Omni line and the formula # is 44883. I added the smallest size flake for the sparkle. To go lacquer I sprayed out this color and had an east coast co. supply the lacquer to be ultra correct for the type of paint used on the original car. For the engine I needed the correct look and sound. An Isky 400 jr cam supplies the radical rump rump, the look is obvious.

Regarding the stance issue, this pic shows the problem. There needs to be only half of that white wall showing under that skirt. 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Marty Skelton likes this.
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

I don’t know if Jesse told me and I forgot, or if I never asked and thought I knew, anyway this is what I’ve ended up with at this point, and it won’t get me down to where I need to be.

When I realized that I needed to run this by Jesse, he told me that there was a local guy that he found to solve this problem of getting that rear end down where he wanted it. This guy went out behind his shop and came back with a u channel that the spring would fit in.

Jesse says that they jacked the rear of the car up out in the dirt, and that the guy had the old cross member out and the new one installed in two hours.

I’m sure that this will all work out, but I’m more comfortable adding a reinforcement. Here is the first configuration (mine) and the channel/reinforcement in weld thru primer.
    004 (4).JPG 001 (6).JPG 002 (8).JPG

26. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Are you sure that Miss California was not in the trunk when the pictures were taken?:D:D:D

Nice work, and congratulation for your sense of detail.

27. atomickustom

atomickustom

Actually that is a good question. We do know that guys would put weight in their trunks for photo shoots. 00Mac said he'd have several friends stand on the bumpers and they'd chain the suspension down and I read at least one photographer interview where they talked about all the sandbags they'd use to lower cars for photo shoots. So it is quite possible the "photo stance" is really lower than the car sat on a daily basis.

28. Marty Skelton

Marty Skelton

Thanks Jer, Sure like the car and all of the hard work you've done! Looks Great!

29. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

"This guy went out behind his shop and came back with a u channel that the spring would fit in.
    Jesse says that they jacked the rear of the car up out in the dirt, and that the guy had the old cross member out and the new one installed in two hours."
    Boy that was some pretty cool s*#@ back then - huh?

30. jivin jer

jivin jer

Just for the record Jesse detested the chained down/sand bagged type antics back then, it was the kind of stuff that was a real turn off for him.

Here's that reinforcement joined to the rear X member. 004 (3).JPG 005 (2).JPG