Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Child safety seat in a classic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a hook in the floor behind the car seat and attach a belt to it to go over the back rest. Use the lap belt for the bottom, done. 3 pts to the floor and safe. The strap to the back is behind the seat when the child's seat is removed. Too easy?

stimpy likes this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know this might be of topic, but also a very simple solution.
    In my OT DD I install something called a ISOFIX bracket. But it's simple and out of the way, and it doesn't ruin the look, but still stays safe.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425732644.185810.jpg

All it actually takes is this brackets are bolted to a safety belt hole in the floor.
    The seat it's only clicked on the brackets, like a modern seatbelt bracket.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425732927.453778.jpg

This would fit perfect in a truck. And when the seat is removed from the car, you almost can't see them between seat bottom and seat back.
    And most car seats has them today.

And if you applay the same amount of pro behavior as building a cage, this should be a work in the park for most HAMBers, regardless of its a 1926 T body, a 36 roadster or a 55 First series or a Chevy II 64.

I would be much safer to fringe your kids (grand kids).
    And I most confess, that mounting a 3 point seatbelt in the sheet metal cab corner of AD, wouldent make me happy.

stimpy likes this.
  3. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nice ride, nice solution and nice DAD!

5. I would look into those integrated clips like on late models. The back seat of my 06 dodge has them. Then the rest of the seats can use normal lap belts. Might be able to get a used seat and steal the frame and hardware and use it in your seat. Volvobrynk has the right idea.

If you need the tether strap, I'd consider putting it in the floor behind your seat. You can get long tether straps. As opposed to putting in back of cab as suggested earlier.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. jazz1

jazz1

You are absolutely correct. . It has to do with younger children's physical development. Easy to SNAP their neck when forward facing regardless of restraints. Minimum age forward facing is 3.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. TinShed

TinShed

Some of you guys posting about car seats need to realize his son is 3 years old. I asked a state trooper about my fairlane because it only has lap belts he told me without a 3 point harness to not use a booster seat. If you are building a car build in shoulder belts but in my 61 and 63 trucks unless I added a cage type bar I would not trust the upper point from pulling out of the cab without substantal modification. Old cars are not as safe as new stuff, not designed to absorb the energy. It is the price we pay to drive our old stuff. Life is full of risks and my kids are not going through it wrapped in bubble wrap like the goverment wants!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

My dad and I are looking at this conversion now on a 65 impala Rear seat. So far we have some hook loops and seat belt mounts out of an suv for the bottom. For the top mount we're thinking of welding a d-ring to the vertical portion of the package tray and stringing a loop of seat belt or haul strap behind the top of the rear seat and package tray for a secure top mounting point.
    We need to see if the bottom hook loops are long enough to reach thru the seat. Lap belt mounts are for when my nephew gets older.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

After you get it all installed correctly, get it re-upholstered to match your ride! Gary

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's possible to do it the right way, between dangerous and bubble wrap.

See below. I plan on doing the same same thing.
    You all have good and valid points. But the set up refers to, will work on all old cars!
    Will not require any mods, to most seats. No re upholstery, and Dosn't matter if you have a Fairlane, Camaro or WWII jeep. Or mode T

I might get the measurements, if people wants them.
    Yes HRP. The seat I posted about is the same I use for my 5week old, and used for my daughter. She now sits in a bigger seat, facing forward, but still with the ISOFIX mount.
    The set shown can be used to a certain age/ size.
    The top part can be lifted of and carried like a basket on ones arm.

I might be a "car guy safe"-person, when it comes to me, but not when it comes to my kids!!!

But I'm thinking about making a set up for my Volvo. They are very simple and will fit in the lower seatbelt bolt holes. That's all they need.

The volvo, Saab and VW came with this set up, from the factory, so the seat should be avalible state side. If not nothing is further away then a mail! We might even be able to swap seats for parts I need for my dry lake build.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I might have come a bit ahead of my self, we call it ISOFIX, you (US) call it LATCH.
    "Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children"

But my point is still valid.

More pics of the brackets. These is for another car. But should be adaptable.
    The center distance between loops is 280mm.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425744125.761468.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425744152.383338.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425744172.080097.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    MrFalcon62 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

We have the top of the line graco in my wives awd citadel Hemi Durango.. I've got a highly rated middle of the road price wise like $125 graco convertible in my crew hemi ram truck. But.. For this truck I was looking at a Frontier britax click tight... Still looking into it to see if it would work with just a lap belt.. If you watch the video they open an area of the seat lace the shoulder belt gathered with the lap belt together ( wouldn't this be the same as just a lap belt) click it in.. Then lower the open area of seat and supposedly this action locks the belt and pulls it tight. http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/frontier-90 it appears it doesn't use tether straps.

14. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks Ill take a look for this!

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

16. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Volvobrynk I looked around the net.. Is that a Ford part? Found a dead link to an image that looked like yours from Ford.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Could be.
    The make brand specific brackets for VW, Seat, Skoda, Ford and few others.
    They are model specific.

Volvo they are welded in.
    The other ones bolt on and is a match left to right. And the older the car, the simpler is it made. On most cars, it's just an extra seatbelt bolt holes, and they bolt in and out at will. But you should be able to build your own.
    It might not be legal in all states.
    But if you build it and use material and methods for rollcage/safety harness, I would trust my own kids to them.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This was a creative way of doing it.
    But not how I would do it.

When you look on a seatbelt mount I would say it's if he did that, and used eyebolt approved for Motorsport, I would be over the moon.

As fare as my very basic brain goes, seat belt bolts is the only standard that goes again around the world! They are imperial sized, with UNF thread and has a head size that is around 16mm.
    People over here thinks they are made out of space rock like the asteroid from Armageddon.

But it's plain and simple a UNC bolt 5/16 grade 8. I might be off on the 5/16, but it's bigger then 1/2.

And there is a reason that a seatbelt bolt ain't bolted in with a nut on the back.
    They are reinforced, on my (65-) Volvo they are made 2mm steal 2x2inch with the edge bend down and with a not welded on. So you cant pull it true. There might be a stock car way of bolting them in, just check it forehand.

And this is why, when I was a kid, it was perfectly normal to drive in the front seat, the only place who had belt on cheap cars (rear belt were extra), and parents held there kids in there arms! Bad Ideer!
    In a head on collision, you child's weight becomes significant more. Rule of thumb, at 55 mph and average 8-9 yr olds weigh up around 3-4tons, nobody keeps holding that child in there arms!
    That's why we can fail a MOT from bad seatbelts!

19. stimpy

stimpy

this is possibly the most simple way to do it , other than welding a cross bar in like a Nhra spec rollbar under the interior metal

mammyjammer likes this.
  20. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

A big part of acting like a man is protecting your children.

GreenMonster48 and mammyjammer like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I can only agree with you, but Blue One usually don't insult people. But the large numbers of emotion icons tells me either he got laid yesterday, or is saying that in jest.

But you are right about safety.

But when blue one/ Gary was a kid, the world was different! Smoking was good, say was bad and there by good, drag racing wasn't dangerous it was a calculate risk worth taking.
    Drive was conscious (sp cared about others!). Keep there distance, never texting and driving, 1/4 amount of cars driving in rush hour. Gas was cheap, and girl could fool around on a date with out have to go last base. Kissing to beach boys was a lot.
    Life was good

Cars was driven slowly, some only ones a week, people could wait for a floc of sheeps passing the road with out threaten there fellow man, and still be back for a coffee break, despite being gone an hour from work.
    The world has changed, the people has changed, some of the cars haven't.

22. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

I was born in 1944, so I know how much things have changed. When I was a kid, we'd hang out at the neighbor kids father's garage. He always seemed to have a warm(!) quart of Pabst in his hand because he was big drinker and his wife wouldn't allow him to drink in the house. He made weekly booze fueled trips to his brother's farm to pick up some raw milk (gasp!) for his family and us neighborhood kids would go along because he would allow us to ride the running boards over a section of Slackwater Road with a lot of humps that were fairly close together. It was quite a thrill and we had to hang on tight because he'd go fast enough to get us airborne and the trips always ended with "don't tell your mothers". There was a lotta shit we didn't tell mom!

Maybe I'm a little sensitive on the seat belt thing because without a doubt, one saved my life in July 2013, so I didn't think it was cool to bust on a guy trying to protect his son. If that post was meant in jest, I apologize, but if the poster thinks his balls bet bigger by ignoring safety, I don't.

I've probably taken as many risks as anybody who's still breathing but that didn't make me a man, it only proved that I suck when it comes to risk assessment!

GreenMonster48 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Wow, now I feel a little dumb. I thought you was my age. Insert smiley with red ears.

Now I don't wonna say how old I am!
    But I saw his like a joke, with all the smileys.

Maybe I should take a "shut the F up and stay out of it" course.

Not to self: stick to fact and keep it short!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425839434.420691.jpg

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Of course it was a form of a joke. As such that's how it should be taken.
    It just seemed very strange for a man to threaten charging his wife with something like "willful child endangerment".
    I can't seem to wrap my mind around a man saying something like that to his wife.
    I don't know how else to put it, it just seems so out there.
    If I had tried to write a scene for a comedy show, I don't think I could have come up with anything better than that.

Of course a man wants to protect his kids. When my kids were growing up we used car seats and proper methods of holding them into the vehicle.
    First was the car seat tether hooks I bolted to the rear window deck of the 86 Pontiac Parisienne and then later the rear seat shoulder belts I pulled out a 90's car at the wrecking yard and installed into the Parisienne.

That 86 had 645,000 kilometers on it when I sold it, still had the rear belts in it that served for all those hockey trips etc..
    My kids are all grown up now, yes times are different now but I wonder if we are better off.
    Road trips were fun when I was a kid and we survived.

volvobrynk and mammyjammer like this.
  25. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

"Saul Goodman" (it's all good man), no need to shut up. Dumbass here just missed the joke, I must have been having a rare serious moment.

But now you have to tell us your age!!!

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

All good, have to look him up.

That sucks. Turn 30 last october.

Edit. I'm SO slow, just got the breaking back reference. Lol

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  27. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

30? Damn, I can't even remember 30!

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's why I didn't want to say it. Get the same response. And people who look at me claims I look at least look 10yrs older.

29. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Thank you
    That video is a few years old and was my sons first ride in the truck

He just out grew out of the car seat used in that video.

The O.P. also has a truck, so whatever system he decides to use hopefully can be adapted for a booster or something else's.

Darn kids grow up to fast.

volvobrynk and 65fordguy like this.
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I might be a little slow, or it's a translation thing, but what is booster seat?

Edit: I just went and googled it, okay I see.

Just quorius, is it legal to run booster seats with a lap belt?
    We had some child 3 point harness that looked like a 4point harness for a racecar, but looks like a Y and smaller.

What keeps you back rest from folding forward on a crash?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015