Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by eric54chevy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Well with the sale of my 54 done and in San Antonio it's time to focus on one car. I purchased a 41 Merc Business coupe about 2 years ago and it has been patiently waiting its turn. One of my absolute favorite kustom's is the Bob Tormey 1941 Mercury. I feel this is just a clean and simple kustom that wasn't done over the top. I also want to take inspiration from the Jesse Lopez coupe, Marcia Campbell coupe as well as some others
    Bob-tormey-1941-mercury-color.jpg

Bob-tormey-1941-mercury-color2.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432327004.798019.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432327013.229490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432327020.480213.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432327038.031623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432327125.941626.jpg

I had a difficult time locating a short door 1941 Mercury and from what I've been told they produced very limited numbers of the short door coupe. I've only seen 3 or 4 for sale in the past few years. My dash was completely parted out so I found a 46-48 Mercury dash to fill the void for now. But to my surprise when I found this one the rear seats where still their. Overall the body of the car is in really good shape.
    IMG_0029.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool. I love your plans, please keep us posted with the progress.

3. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

I'm trying to load up a bunch more photos but having difficulties

straykatkustoms likes this.
  4. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had problems loading pictures earlier today. I'll stay tune...

6. just saw this on instagram.this one is going to be great.what are you plans as far as running gear and all that?

7. Torchie

Torchie

Great inspiration for a cool custom.
    Going to be watching this one.......
    Torchie

8. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

9. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

So here is the dilemma with my 41 short door....the front fenders appear to have been tweaked by something causing some pretty significant damage. The rears have a few dents but nothing major. I found NOS replacement fenders but they wanted my first born for all 4 fenders. There are a few items here and there that need attention, but overall major attention is needed in a lot of areas. Being that the items I am needing are so difficult and expensive to find I had to come up with an alternative. I found an extremely well taken care of 4 door to take care of 95% of items needed. This 41 came out of Frisco, TX and was bought out of Alabama. The gentleman that owned this car passed away and has been sitting for the past 10 or more years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  10. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

11. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

[​IMG]
    little bit of water damage to the rear seats
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

The full plan for the coupe will be to mold the rear fenders and run the 41 long skirts, I've got a 46-48 mercury splash pan that will be molded, utilizing the 41 Mercury rear bumper with maybe molded tailights into the bumper guards. The front bumper will be a 39-41 Lincoln Zephyr bumper. As far as the chop I'm leaning towards the Bob Tormey 41 proportions of 3 in the front and 4 in the rear, but we will cross that bring later. For the powerplant I've got a 59 Cadillac 390 with an early 4 deuce intake that will fit the bill.

I feel a good mix of all the early 41-48 Mercury/Fords Kustom is in the work with this build. I want to stick to the early styles and attempt to come out with something that might have graced a Barris Kustom from back in the day

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

What do you mean about getting rid of the 4 dr body?!? He can just build the car such that he can run the coupe body spring thru fall and then switch back to the 4 dr (with a good heater!) for the late fall and winter and motervate the whole family, and maybe a few in-laws!, in grand style!
    The man is going to build a TRULY versatile ride... ain't that right? He was going to save that strategy to reveal later but it was going to become obvious at some point anyway! Now he can just tell us how the swaps will work and what special steps he'll take while building it to make it work smoothly... truly an innovative approach that I'm sure we will all admire and envy.;)

Outback and eric54chevy like this.
  14. Torchie

Torchie

As stated that 4 dr is really nice as well.
    If you think that the 41 Merc Fenders are dear just wait till you price out the LZ 39-41 Front bumper. Or do you have one already?????
    Sure hope that you can get the Flathead running and use that. But the Caddy mill is cool as well.
    Torchie.

15. afaulk

afaulk

I have always thought the 41 Merc Business cp. or Opera cp. is the car that the 41 Ford and 41 Willys wanted to be. I like it!

eric54chevy likes this.
  16. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

HaHa Hamtown that would be nice....the 4 door will be completely salvageable when I'm done...

Torchie luckily I have the Lincoln bumper already, and yes it was freaking expensive!!!I've never had a flathead so I'm hoping it will run too.

17. Wow! TWO '41 Mercs! Nice catch on the sedan - as you are learning fast there are a lot of bits to these cars that are hard to come by... Trying to find dash knobs for mine with no luck. You could be my next best friend!!! ;):p

Dave

eric54chevy likes this.
  18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Cool coupe! That custom sure is the way to go. Im gonna watch.
    Wonder if you could flip that grill grin upside down and get a cooler scowl out of it! Just a thought.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Agreed. '41 Mercs are favorites of mine, especially short-door coupes and 2dr sedans. Do it proud!

20. U-235

U-235

Why don't you just buy the Maroon car first pictured.....its For Sale....
    No really the 41 Merc has the best styled front grille ever......I glad someone posted a picture of the 41 4-door of Joe Benner...I always loved that car evcr since I first saw it.. Personally I think that 4-door is too nice to part out. I'd fix the coupes fenders or find another pair on e-bay, but don't part out that4-door.

21. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Dave you might just be in luck, I salvaged the knobs off the coupe before I traded some parts from exStreamliner for his 41 Merc coupe....I think that's one thing a lot of people dont realize that a lot of the parts on the 41 Merc's are one year only and finding parts or good donor cars is very difficult. I do feel bad a little about robbing parts off such a clean 4 door, but my coupe parts will go on the 4 door and still be a complete car minus a motor for someone some day. Someone could easily do the 4 door pictured above by 'Mo of the Joe Brenner 4 door with whats left...

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you can get the 4 dr.'s flathead running and the car driving/stopping, I'd toss some cheapy seat covers and carpet in it, spray dye the stained headliner, clean up the car and flip it for a profit.
    Take the profit and find a good pair of fenders (or hire a body man to do some side work straightening the Coupe fenders), and build out the Caddy engine for the Coupe.

The 4 dr. is too nice to part out and keep in mind, if you swap the Coupe body onto the 4 dr chassis, you'll be riding on a different chassis VIN which is probably titled as a 4 dr....

The compromise would be to swap the Coupe and 4 dr. fenders car for car, then sell off the 4 dr. as a titled roller-(or driver if you get the flatty running and decide to go with the Cad engine).

Love the Coupe project. Something different and will make a great Custom.

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm telling ya he's gonna title the Mercury as "up to 4 drs" and switch the bodies for the winter!
    BTW, those "up to 4 drs" titles are pretty rare but just another opportunity to rule the rodding world!
    Keep workin'
    Al

24. resto-rodder

resto-rodder

I have been a fan of '41 Mercs since my first car was a chopped '41 Merc convertible with a Cadillac in it. Bob Tormey's coupe was really well done and had just the right modifications to give it that "long and low" look. The two pictures that I have of it on the Rik Hoving Custom Car Archives are the only color ones that I have ever seen. They were taken about 1955 in Western Washington at the dragstrip.
    Good luck with your project and it looks like you have a great start.

25. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Update motor isn't locked up, but does need a new starter. Going to have the water pump, carb rebuilt, generator, and starter gone through. Ken over at Faded Love Garage but a charger on the battery and it's still holding a charge.

Little fun fact about this car that I didn't know. When I picked it up the steering was locked. I've never seen one have locked steering before. Come to find out once you turn the ignition a pin moves allowing the steering to be unlocked. Pretty neat lockable steering! Also, once he had it up in the air it was noticed that the springs are still wrapped. More updates as I get them

26. phat rat

phat rat

Rear fenders, doors and trunk lid are the same on 41-48 Ford/Merc

27. All these cars look so much better as the short door versions - the Fords of the era also.
    Look forward to seeing how it works out.

eric54chevy likes this.
  28. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Phat rat based on my research and having hands on, the 41 Fenders are different than the 46-48. The 46-48 are actually around 2 inches wider to accommodate a wider drop axle. The 41's actually sat two inches higher than the older Fords/Mercurys. Yes I can use other year fenders for patches on my coupe and might eventually do that, but as far as being the same they are not.

29. phat rat

phat rat

You'll notice I said rear fenders. The 41-48 Ford and Mercs share the same body the only real difference is 2 inches of wheelbase length, all ahead of the firewall, and the front clip which of course is longer to make up the wheelbase difference .

30. You mentioned Bob Tormey in your 1st post, a man I got to know.
    He taught art at East Valley H.S. in Yakima Wa. when I was a student there during the sixties, his wife also taught there. An interesting man. He had/built a number of cars over the years including the 'Surfin T' and a Pepsi C cab, they were all customs and custom hot rods he had out on tour in those days. I spent time helping him with the cars and got in on a repaint of one of them. His daily was a silver blue early el camino. I heard he passed 6 or 8 years ago maybe longer. Cool guy.