Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attic Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

frame buildup 19.jpg Added front hubs and tires. Now I can roll it around.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    TFoch and els like this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is a very nice build. Clean and well executed, but also good planned, I like the drawing.

I'm not a
    big fan of M2 front ends or IFS at all, but I respect the craftmanship going in to one.

I also really like the ford 300 inline. There is nothing as cool as a well
    build 6 to make it go and set it a part from the crowed.

els likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Lately I've been thinking about the holes in the body for the trafficators (semaphore turn signals). I think I would like to make a pair with a little lighted hand profile pointing a finger out. Has anybody ever made these? I know a pair of stock replacements can be had for around $300. I can bandsaw up a lot of Plexiglas for three hundred bucks.

Atwater Mike, bchctybob and els like this.
  4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Haven't made any, but like the idea. With your skill level it should be a piece of cake.;)

els likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hell, you could probably buy a band saw and still have plenty left over for Plexiglass!

els likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can find lots of good used Lucas trafficators on Ebay under $100. Most in the UK, so might be some shipping charges on top. I'm not sure how you'll do the design, as they were hollow, and the light was inside. I don't use mine on my Austin A10, and the lenses were broken. So I just cut out an opaque plastic shape, and glued them into the metal arm so they looked OK.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...eo_id=10232&keyword=lucas+trafficators&crdt=0

els likes this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm reluctant to buy used electrical components unseen / untried. I also read a post that said earlier series trafficators were problematic and unreliable. Especially any series prior to SF80.

els likes this.
  8. 10991290_765363713541944_8653190016815942965_n.jpg .....I've just caught up on this....love it.....can't wait to see the next instalment.......the first car I built in 1969 was an Anglia...( well Popular,here in the U.K )...and still have a soft spot for them.....GREAT JOB...:D

catdad49 and els like this.
  9. Thanks for getting me addicted. :rolleyes:
    Like I need another project!
    Please keep this great build thread going, I love these cars.

els likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That looks like a nice looking ride for a first time build. My first time ride was kinda crude.

els likes this.
  11. I was 18,and had a lot to learn,it took me until the 1990's to finally get the ''right'' American look....the second Anglia we built had a 327 Chevy,and as someone said earlier in this thread...we sat in the back...didn't have to,but we thought it was cool....I'll try a find a shot....

els and elgringo71 like this.
  12. 1003806_10152507785522646_1907352567_n (1).JPG 1525076_10152507786297646_1568647896_n.jpg ....this was the first time we had put a Jag E type rear end in a car,front end was Vauxhall (English GM )....just like the Opel that a guy mentioned a few pages back......this was a step up from the beam axel,and solid rear end used on the first car....

catdad49, els, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  13. Smiffy, catdad49, els and 3 others like this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

catdad49, els and Black vette 59 like this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

motor mounts 01.jpg I made set of motor mounts. They use universal Speedway biscuits. The biscuit is angled by 15 degrees such that a line drawn through the mounting plate intersects the crankshaft centerline. I'll file that away for future builds. Also, I like to combine features into one component so I integrated the steering jackshaft carrier bearing mount into the motor mount. The small holes are for wires to pass through if necessary. I used 3/16 plate - 1/8 would have been sufficient.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    BradinNC, catdad49 and els like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's interesting! I did very similar thing on my Austin, except used side motor mounts. Even added a mounting plate for a heim joint, to also support my steering shaft.

els likes this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

In addition to canting the biscuits 15 degrees inward I tilted the mounting pad 4 degrees rearward to get a proper engine installation angle.

Atwater Mike and els like this.
  18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have not done anything on the body yet. It is stored indoors in another city for the time being, as I am short on storage space. I am drawing up plans to make a tandem axle trailer that will just fit either the Speedracer champ car or the Attic Anglia so I can move them back and forth to work on, as both of these projects are being stored off-site. Sometimes I have to take the long way around to make progress on stuff, but in the long run the trailer is needed to transport the champ car to races and it may also come in handy for interstate transportation of hot rods. I have been thinking of things I want to do to the body, like having a quick-release dash panel / instrument cluster to have easy access to a right-angle dash-mounted master brake cylinder. I do not like them hanging into the engine compartment and floor mounted units have been somewhat inconvenient for me both in mounting and servicing. I am looking for a 3 x 4 piece of roof metal of the right contour to fill the roof, and a properly proportioned bench seat that I can narrow down to fit (I don't like bucket seats that look squished together in a narrow car). Other than a new floor, roof, and firewall the body does not need a lot of TLC.

els likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

motor mounts 03.jpg motor mounts 02.jpg The motor mounts are in the chassis. Between the compound angles of the mounting surfaces and the assymetry of the block I wish I had paid more attention in Geometry Class.

Just kidding - I could have taught it.

The next step will be to make a trans crossmember using a bare block and the C4

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

trailer 01.jpg I took another slight detour - to build a trailer for the Attic Anglia. I had started to gather parts together to build a trailer to transport it from my storage site to my home. I have the same problem with my Speedracer project. I want to switch these cars around. Plus, the champ car will need a trailer to haul it to the track. Last week I found a house trailer frame for sale nearby and bought it. In the succeeding week I chopped three feet off the back, moved the axle forward, fixed a faulty hitch, mitered in a skid plate to the tongue, added a third draw bar member to the tongue, boxed the front crossmember, added fenders, added three tie-down sites, and narrowed it down so the Anglia and Speedracer will just fit.

as purchased: trailer 01.jpg

current mods:

trailer 03.jpg

I added a jack and winch.
    The rear crossmember will get a drop-center to facilitate loading and unloading. Ramps are on order.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Tonight some of my Loose Screws hoodlum buds decked the engine and installed the trans xmbr. Then I bolted up a head and a home made tripower for kicks pics.
    frame buildup 21.jpg frame buildup 22.jpg

catdad49, els and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The Anglia hauler nearing completion:
    trailer 01.jpg trailer 02.jpg trailer 03.jpg

TFoch, catdad49, els and 2 others like this.
  23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job. And nice to have a trailer small enough to transport the car without taking up a ton of space when not in use. How long are the ramps and distance between the fenders ?

els likes this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks.
    The ramps are 12 feet long.
    Inside-to-inside of the fenders is 59 ".
    Inside-to-inside of ramps is 29".
    Outside-to-outside of ramps is 69".
    I had to make the fenders easily removable because the Speedracer champ car does not clear them when loading.

I still need to find some loading ramps that will pivot and slide at the rear of the trailer. Also. I mounted the electric winch after pics were taken.

els and Baron like this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Somebody clued me in that the third seat from a Dodge minivan will work in an Anglia so I went to the local junk yard and found a clean one. Measuring off SD's car it will just clear the door inner panels. The back folds down to allow access to the "back seat".
    frame buildup 23.jpg
    Also, a drag racing buddy donated an 8 gallon fuel cell. 150 miles per tankfull will be enough I'm thinking.

26. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've always loved the Anglias and Thames gassers. Somewhere in my boxed up treasures, I still have the magazines or xeroxes of the articles where Pete and Jake tried to build one for Hot Rod Magazine. Didn't end well as I recall. Have had a couple chances to buy, but could never quite pull the trigger. After watching many waddle down the access road to the fairgrounds, I wouldn't go the "gasser clone" route for the street!

Everyone I talked to before building my SDRA frame told me I absolutely HAD to have a full 24" inside the frame rails for starter clearance. Hope you don't get burned by your x-member!

els likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Third DodgeBrother,
    I did not know Pete / Jake built a project Anglia. You say it didn't end well - what were the problems? Maybe I can avoid repeating them.
    I almost got myself into trouble by having the frame rails zee'd and pinched. It is widest at the bellhousing area at 20.5" inside width and it tapers up to 16" on the side of the block. A Ford mini starter clears with 1/2 inch to spare. The frame had to be narrow to accommodate the A-arms and narrowed rack of the IFS.
    I would imagine that trying to package a large V8 in there might present a challenge and that may be why "everybody... absolutely... recommends... 24" inside the frame rails."
    frame buildup 18.jpg

I frequently get told "you must follow such-and-such rule" to be successful. I often do the opposite.

A few years ago I took an art class and the instructor said "make sure your horizon line is ALWAYS LEVEL AND PERFECTLY STRAIGHT."
    The first thing I painted was a tribute painting to my Father-in-law who served on the Lexington aircraft carrier in WWII. I arched and tilted the horizon to accentuate the altitude of the plane and the direness of the situation. Called "Coming Home", I do not think it would have looked as dramatic if I had followed his "rule".

F4U 01.jpg frame buildup 18.jpg

brEad, bchctybob, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  28. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I remember that one - it was for Rod & Custom, called the "New Angle Anglia" and was to have been powered by a Capri V-6, IIRC. They started with a fairly complete stocker with the 3-hole grille, chopped it about 3" (which I'll agree didn't look good), maybe some frame work? Then R&C folded and the project sat for a couple years until it was revived in Hot Rod; I remember their fiberglass front end was warped beyond use at that point. That's all I recall.

els likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Chrisb,
    I googled it and found HR picked up the build in '74 - '75. I also learned editor John Diana finished the car and drove it. Wonder where that one ended up?

els likes this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

trailer 01.jpg trailer 02.jpg trailer 03.jpg trailer 06.JPG trailer 07.JPG
    I finished the champ car / Anglia trailer.
    The winch is housed in an electrical breaker box.

brEad, catdad49 and els like this.