Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who sleeps in their garage? Who sleeps with their old car(s)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Been there and done that on the drive shaft.lol.Bruce.

2. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Wife's found me several times, sleeping under the car while working on it.

3. I have done things in the garage that I can't tell on a family forum. :D

So I have been banished to the garage in my time, not that I cared. I mean hell if you get banished it is a relief to get way from the banisher. I have fallen asleep in the garage although it was not my intent. Once in the not so distant past (since joining the HAMB) I was thrashing and woke up covered with a blanket with a cold cup of coffee and a pastrami sandwich next to me on the floor. That is way better then banishment any day.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Dozed off in the old office chair I have out there a few times. Helps clear the old mind to take a nap sometimes.....

5. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I haven't slept in the garage yet (haven't pissed her off that bad), but at the meltdown drags last year I slept in my wagon. Folded the back seat down, blew up a twin air mattress and slept like a baby. Hoping to do it some more this year. One of the nights it got cold enough that I had to yank the blanket that I use for a seat cover off the front seat for some additional insulation.

6. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been known to sleep in my garage and under my cars from time to time.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I keep a couple of army cots up in the garage attic--- just in case.

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Oh yeah.Been there.Done that.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

craweled under to drain the oil, nice cool concrete, woke up the next morning, and hit my head on the header.....Damn it. Still the best nights sleep I ever had.

10. David Chandler

David Chandler

I was born in the back seat of a car, but I don't recall sleeping in one.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We set up our shop so that we can sometimes pull all nighters. We have recliners in the office, a fridge, microwave, and a shower and washer and dryer, plus the usual bathroom. We also have a bbq gas grill that we cook dinners on some times. A lot of times I will stop working in the 100 degree heat in the shop and go into the air conditioned office and take a nap in the recliner. An hour or so and I am ready for another go at it.

When I was hitting on my 27 during it's rebuild, I pretty much lived at the shop for a few weeks and was able to survive very well. :) Those few creature comforts make it very bearable, and with the shower we don't have to go home all dirty.

Don

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I sleep in the garage occasionally. And that radiant heat in the floor makes it so very comfortable this time of year.

13. I have a "self sufficient" garage - phone, couch, fridge, outhouse, etc. So I have sat on my "thinking couch" when trying to work something out, and woken up a couple hours later. Sometimes I am allowed into the house, but only after I bathe (every second Saturday, wether I need to or not......)

14. I haven't fallen asleep in my garage, but I have slept in the back of my panel truck at work when I couldn't make a part work at 3am (clutch ball sheared, no welder or lathe). I used to sleep in the back of my elco or panel truck at the pomona swapmeet the night before.

15. I used to fall asleep under my stock cars once in a while if I was on a flog. I woke up one morning, having trouble breathing... winds up there are 2 cats curled up on my chest sleeping...

16. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

We spent many a sat. night in my 61 chevy. Raced on sat. night slept in car and did it all over again on sunday afternoon. Went home showered got a few hours sleep and went to work. We were 18 years old. Don't know if I could do that again, but I'd sure give it a try. Life is GOOD.

17. carmuts

carmuts

Have slept in the barn and basement, but not the garage yet. When I was younger and was trying to drink myself to death I woke up on morning under my truck with tools scattered about under the truck. No clue how I got there or what I was trying to fix. Picked up the tools, drank a beer and headed down the road with no problems. Rod

18. Don West

Don West

worked at a body shop for@ 5 years and had to work Saturdays till noon, so there was some sleeping on creepers under cars going on after a few drunk Friday nights.

19. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Yep, been there too. Fell asleep on the creeper and woke up to a cold shop, the wood stove had gone out so I must have been there long enough. Decided to head for the house and get a good night sleep.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I always figured I could get an extra hour of sleep by staying at the shop. Did a lot of horizontal engineering in my old Caddy.

21. I take breaks in the chair next to the woodstove with the tv on and beer in hand. Falling asleep is pretty commonplace in my garage. Way quieter than the house and family usually.

22. Drewski

Drewski

Me too!

I've got an ashley stove that keeps my 900 sq. ft. work area nice and warm. Usually bring my lunch back to the shop and sit next to the stove watching tv. Fan blowing warm air across the stove makes it real easy to catch a short nap before going back to work.

[​IMG]

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

While my garage is nice and warm and holds my RPU, I would much rather sleep with my wife :D She's much warmer :)

24. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

On occasion, I've been told to.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

In Highschool, I used to lay on the trunklid of my '64 comet, and look at the stars. woke up one morning wet from the dew, and late for school! Broke that habbit real quick!

26. My buddy Doug has a single car under garage. Faces the sun on those hot and humid summer afternoons we get here in the North East (occasionally).
    A few times his wife has awoken him from an afternoon nap while on his creeper under his long term Model A project.
    Always uses the same excuse.
    "I'm not sleeping, I had something in my eye."

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Yes been there done that. Slept in the big Olds outside the Pumpkin Run gates a few times. Fell asleep under many a car and truck in the garage trying to make a deadline or get something finished and out of the way. Passed the wife going out the door to work a couple times while I was on my way in to clean up and go to work.

28. BJR

BJR

Me too.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in my shop for several years when times were tight.

It sucked.

30. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Fallen asleep a few times when I was building my bucket a long time ago. That was when you could work on your car until the early hours and everyone thought you were a good bloke because you were doing something with your time. Not like tonight I hit an axle stand under the roadster with a hammer and I swear half the house lights in the street come on.