Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 Falcon Gasser (South East Gassers)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sonic03bluegt, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

After several people have asked me to start a build thread i guess its about time. I haven't been the best in the world at taking pictures so far, but I do have some to share, and will try to do better as the car progresses. The car will hopefully make its debut at the Greer SEG race in April.
    Here is the fs add from ebay where the car was found
    [​IMG]
    First Day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els, Butch M and AHotRod like this.
  2. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

As you can see the car already had a straight axle and ladder bars but needed lots of work to be race ready. I'm 27 years old and on a pretty tight budget so i'm trying to cut as much weight off the car as possible so my budget motor will give me the best e.t's possible [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

The car will be powered by a Small block ford and backed by a toploader and 9"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

els, Butch M, Dog_Patch and 1 other person like this.
  4. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

First major project i decided to try to conquer after cutting all the spare metal off and trying to clean up some of the welds was the firewall
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to add steel to the top and sides to have somewhere to mount firewall to
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els, 59IMPALER, Butch M and 1 other person like this.

5. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Looks like a good start. I have a parts car that looks just like that. It was a 6cyl 4 speed car. Good luck with your build. I have a tubbed and caged 64 hardtop in the works right now plus other falcons.

BART

els likes this.
  6. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

This is my first try at any major fab work so obviously i have alot to learn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's all i have time to post for today, but i'll try to get back on as often as possible and update to get everyone up to date to where im at now

els, catdad49, Butch M and 3 others like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Good Job. Low buck racers have to be real racers.

8. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I'm glad you started a build thread. I look forward to seeing it run with the South East Gassers.

els, Quain Stott and AHotRod like this.
  9. Are you building it per SEG's rules? HRP

els likes this.
  10. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

yes, it will be built to conform to the SEG rules hrp

els likes this.
  11. BIG DADDY DALE WILSON

BIG DADDY DALE WILSON

man,that aint no yard build .....thats in quains shop one of the best shops around......lol

els, volvobrynk, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Looks like allot of fun, I wish you all the best!

els and Quain Stott like this.
  13. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Dale, I used his shop the first little while so I could borrow the plasma to save some time cutting it apart. Its at my house now with very little other than hand tools lol. Its about as low buck of a build is possible, I'm even gonna paint it in my yard. The motor is junk that I've pieced together with the only new parts being bearings and a set of rockers.

14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

LOL There was a few days I didn't have anything in that bay. He has to bring it over here to use the welder he don't have one. I think one of his buddies has since let him borrow a little 110 deal to weld the little stuff. He does have a small shop at home so it's not a total Skull garage build but it is very much a budget build.

els likes this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Welcome to the board. I am a YouTube follower. I love The Bad Penny it is a cool car.

16. BIG DADDY DALE WILSON

BIG DADDY DALE WILSON

im behind ya 100 % love it and im damn proud to see another young man going old school and learning as he go's old school....the junk piece together motor rules...thanks for the post on here....fun to watch it come to life.......your way your style we need more like ya.....thanks quain......SOUTH EAST GASSERS RULE....SMILES ARE FREE AND THE MEMORIES ARE FOREVER......thanks to all you true gasser fans out there

els, catdad49, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

That makes 8 SEG builds on the HAMB. Quain, that proves your doing something right.

18. bigjohndsl

bigjohndsl
    from Erwin, TN

Love the car and the build. Cant wait to see it run- This is the way it should be

19. flamin-408

flamin-408

This great I am happy to see another Ford beuing home built and enjoyment from someone. I may have some stuff that can help you if you need anything reach out. I am rally pushing to get my Hoopty Wagon back together and want to try it out before Greer.

20. Like flamin-408 says, glad to see you building a Falcon ! Love those! And if we can help out let us know.

21. Thumpr455

Thumpr455

Hey flamin-408, good to see you on here.
    Here are some photos I shot of your Hoopty Wagon Falcon at a couple of races last year. It's entertaining to watch- especially when it levitates! (See the action pic from the Gasser Finals at Greer). You were suffering some serious rear axle hop while simultaneously doing a wheel stand- great stuff!

Hope to see you again this year. 2014-11-8 Gasser_218 The Amazing levitating Hoopty Wagon_Fl.jpg 2014-11-8 Gasser_1224 The \"Hoopty Wagon\" Ford Falcon Gasser_Fl.jpg 2014-9-27 Ware S_053 Warrly Charlie\'s Hoopty Wagon Falcon Gasser_Fl.jpg 2014-9-27 Ware S_084 Warrly Charlie\'s Hooty Wagon Falcon Gasser_Fl.jpg

els, catdad49, Butch M and 4 others like this.
  22. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nice!

I'm not too far removed from your setup there . . . I had a 66 falcon that I had to sweet talk a friend of mine who owned a shop to use an empty patch of grass next to his shop to do my 5 speed swap back when I was 21-22. :)

Can't wait to see it in April

23. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I'll try to get some more progress pics up tomorrow. I would also like to take a second to give a big thanks to this racing community, from Jessie Holmes throwing in some extra parts with the purchase of the car, to Quain Stott allowing me to use his brain,skills, and shop, to jimmy huff for hooking me up with a few more much needed parts, to jimmy Finley for the advice on which way to go, and to all the others for their overwhelming support and encouragement

els, bigjohndsl, 3dnsouth and 2 others like this.
  24. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Made the transmission crossmember, thanks to donovan stott for the help
    [​IMG]
    finished up the midmounts as well and reused the front plate that came with the car. Spent a good bit of time getting everything centered, in line, and at the right angles
    [​IMG]
    Redid the driveshaft loop, boxed in factory frame rails and braced up the front mounting point for the ladder bars
    [​IMG]
    Cut out the factory torque box and leafspring mounts so that i could attach the main hoop solid to the chassis. It was not attached very solid to a half rusted leaf spring mount before
    [​IMG]

els, Butch M, bigjohndsl and 2 others like this.
  25. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    Better pic of the crossmember and midmounts installed

26. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    started to rough in the firewall around the engine

27. Excellent! This is going to be bad ass! ;)

els likes this.
  28. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    made shock mounts and the panhard bar ( the bar levels out once the car is set at ride height

29. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    Mounted the radiator and moon tank. The radiator will be painted black of course, and it will get new brake lines.
    [​IMG]
    another angle

30. This really gets my blood pumping!!! Great build, and car. Congrats!

els likes this.