Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs axle or independent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 sled, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

putting a chevy v8 in a 36 ford contemplating a mutang ii any thoughts don't want to regret id like to see pics of a small block chevy in a v8 ford with a straight axlei have installed two independent fronts and installed chevys but never whith a stock suspension all thoughts pretianing to thi would be appreciated thanks

2. 117harv

117harv

We don't do IFS here, it should always have a straight axle the way Henry designed it.

X38, fine29, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a MII in my 38 Chevy, it drives and rides fine, I've got it as low as it will go and can't make any tight turns because the tires rub, looks good though. It does ride maybe a little better than the stock IBeam but in my estimation not a lot of difference. I'd run the numbers on what it would cost to refurbish the stock suspension (including a dropped axle if you want it lowered) and what it would cost for the kit including all of the little pieces to put the MII in before you make that decision. Sorry I don't have any pictures but a friend put a Corvair suspension in a 38 Ford pickup and it drove and rode pretty good, would that be traditional enough because it was it was a 62 Corvair front end? Good luck, I like 35/36 Fords -- Just watched China Town with Jack Nicholson a couple of nights ago with a really nice 35 Ford Phaeton, if you have something like that I am really jealous.

4. volvobrynk likes this.

5. What are you building? Hot Rod or Street Rod...
    It makes a difference what style. Both are good, just different.

6. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

building a hot rod but want to drive it distances my other cars are not feesablefor road trips

7. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

thanks that is very helpful as I want to run the dago axle I got for it but everyone goes must .2 anymore wanted second opinions

8. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

I feel the same but she s getting a chevy mill and im questioning my choices

9. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

building a hot rod but want to drive distance fitment is my issue I don't want the engine to high in the engine compartment

10. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

I will try to get some pics posted soon

11. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

thank you for your response

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

well here she is with dago axle and porta walls watcha think ?:cool:

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have been small block Chevvies in 36 fords with straight axles since 1955, not much to it.. A properly set up I beam will ride great. I promise, you will love it.

-Abone.

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posie's super-slide spring on a dropped axle with tube shocks really helps a stock Henry suspension work like it should. It is lots cheaper than a Heidt's I.F.S. It is also easy to center your front tires with various wheels(steelies?) and proper back-spacing. It is all about how deep your pockets are. Good luck. Thirty-six coupes are really cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. flat 39

flat 39

Dropped straight axle. With todays roads there is very little difference in ride. The tires you choose will make the biggest difference.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Put the mustang 2 in and give us all that old junk :)
    That plan is almost traditional right ?

18. derpr

derpr

the axle is very simple and yet cost effective. I run a posie's spring on a stock axle.

19. missysdad1

missysdad1

Installing a SBC in a straight axle '36 is not a problem now nor has it ever been. Don't know who's been feeding you information that it would be problematic. It won't.

No problem with driving dropped straight axle cars fast or for long distances as long as they are installed correctly and kept in good condition. I don't know who's been feeding you information that this is a problem. It's not.

As has been mentioned, installing an MII suspension will change the car's personality from hot rod to street rod, however. This site is about hot rods.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

AXLE if you want a traditional hot rod.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Well I have had bootang but never mutang. :rolleyes:

The chev V-8 weighs less than the ford V-8 the stock spring will hold it up just fine and you may want to remove a leaf or two before you are done. I am assuming that you are interested in Mustang II suspension, there are a few street rodders here that think that just because it is obsolete these days that it is "traditional" but nothing is further from the truth. If you really want to enjoy an old Ford the beam axle is the only way to go. If you want a Fox body mustang just buy one and be done with it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. I'm an axle guy. My coupe has a dropped '40 axle and reversed eye spring, split wishbones, and a stock steering box. SBC with turbo 350 behind it. I used Pete & Jakes motor mounts, but a Hurst front mount works well, too.

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

My vote is for AXLE. I have an SBC, 4" drop in my pickup, nice and low and rides just fine.

24. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I have a 4" dropped axle in my coupe and a Mll in the truck. Around town no real difference, but at freeway speed is where I can tell the difference. If you're going to cruise around town and sit at car shows, the axle is great. If you plan on putting a ton of miles on it, I would go Mll.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am constantly being told how wonderful my 40 rides, and it drives like a dream. 4" dropped axle, stock spring and 331 caddy for ballast lol ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425404001.038516.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425404034.374135.jpg

26. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

To paraphrase Flathead Jack:

"The difference between Hot Rods and Street Rods is simple. Street Rods have a Chebbie in the front and a can of wax in the back. Hot Rods have a flathead in the front and tool box in the back"

What are you building???

I am with everyone above. Do the straight axle right, and you will be very happy. My buddies '47 Business coupe with a dropped axle and Posies spring and flathead is one of the nicest riding cars I have ever been in.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Axles ride great in my view. Looks right to.

28. A axle will ride as good and in some cases better than a Moosestang II front suspension,a hot rod ain't suppose to ride like a Cadillac.. HRP

29. I used a stock axle in my 38. Modified the front xmember to flatten it out as there is room under the rad and dropped it a lot. nova steering box and rode and handled great. Didn't cost squat scan0055 (Medium).jpg This was back in 81 or so.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. LOL a few years back I had a Stude in the garage and it needed some front end work. I went through the trouble to source the parts to build it back with the stock suspension. I had everything I needed to build a mustangII for it (still do). Someone asked me why I didn't go the MII route with it and I smiled and said, "What would be the point?" One of the things that endears an old car is the feel of it, someone who has never driven an old hooptie cannot understand that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    bchrismer and volvobrynk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.