Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What kind of work gloves do you use in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Only time I wear gloves is sandblasting or welding.
    I copied this from HRP because I am not wearing gloves at this time and my keyboard is nasty!.

Did you know that ordinary brake fluid gets rid of warts?
    I am not a doctor but I could play one if you were the right sex.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Welding its leathers, painting I buy nitrile crapo gloves from harbor, otherwise I get dirty, sams club sells the orange goop by the gallon. Sometimes I'll stop and clean up a bit before Im done, but thats only if I have to pick my nose or take a leak

Model T1 and Bruce Fischer like this.

3. But seriously, I use latex gloves for small jobs that are extra dirty and leather for welding and such... but I don't do much welding, so they don't get used much. :rolleyes:

And isn't it always the way that the dirtier the job, the itchier the nose. o_O

Glen.

4. I only wear gloves, leather, when messing with sharp metal

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I use the blue latex gloves when I clean my paint gun, used to use them when I painted but dripped sweat out of them on the surface once. I also use mechanics gloves if I'm doing heavy dirty work like tearing apart a front end. But most the time I just use hand cleaner when I'm done.

6. BamaMav, I am like you I never used to wear gloves but got tired of when I was painting using thinner to clean then and I am 61 now and like you a busted knuncle will draw blood. Dont get me wrong there a lot of times I don't wear gloves , you just cant work in certain spots with them .Just sayin.Bruce.

7. H.R.P. your tough old coot. LOL. Bruce.

8. Leather when welding or around raw sheetmetal edges; cheap vinyl or latex for wrenching in dirty, greasy areas; brown cotton for assembling and wrenching clean parts; kitchen rubber gloves when painting; and three-quarter-length white gloves and lots of jewelry when going drag. Nothing says elegance like white gloves!

Oh, yeah, and O.J. always uses a size too small when getting down to business.

Model T1 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. I wear the cheap white leather gloves from HF or Menards about $7 a pair. As I've gotten older wearing gloves seems to help with the arthritis pain in my hands. If I'm going to get real dirty then no gloves, just wash with old fashioned Lava soap. I can't use GoJo or the orange shit because it makes my skin fall off! So much for the good chemical, bad chemical debate.

10. TOO funny man.lol.Bruce.

11. Well, if you don't soak them in blood, then they wont shrink on you...;)

12. jeta12

jeta12

I almost never wear gloves for anything, Not used to them. My brother ,who is 11 years younger, wears them for everything. He also always wears something on his head to protect his full head of hair. I am bald and can"t stand
    anything on my head.

13. dcs13

dcs13

For metal work, I wear a pair of Timman brand Tig welding gloves. I get the tightest fit I can. They work great, can still feel what I am doing. I usually do my thin metal mig work with them on as well.

14. NORSON

NORSON

In the '60s I washed them off with the the same stuff I washed parts with (leaded gas). The company I worked for had me cleaning a degreaser tank with bad shit in it and working knee deep in asbestos dust. I smoked four packs a day until I was forty (while cleaning parts with gas). It's a wonder I'm still alive. The kids have the right idea.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

For those who don't wear gloves drag your nails over a bar of soap first, it keeps the grease
    from under the nails then melts when you wash your hands. I find a good lanolin based
    hand cleaner works well, but I have used everything from degreaser, brake cleaner, wd40
    etc.

16. I wear gloves because I have a desk job and I don't want my hands to look like this...
    [​IMG]

Damn hard to find half-way decent gloves. Even expensive ones only last a month or two, so I buy cheap ones and duct tape.

patmanta likes this.
  17. cavman

cavman

For those who don't wear gloves, try this stuff instead of that orange stuff or Go-Jo..It works really well on everything from dirty black grease, to dried paint, to windshield urethane. Stock # 81871
    It's available on-line and from many good paint suppliers[​IMG]

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Mechanix gloves are my go to... you have to make sure they fit tight to get good dexterity. I started wearing them when we raced stock cars. Those weekend long thrashings would eat up our hands. I use HF nitrile for wet chemicals and paint and such.

I have a million scars on my hands from years running naked. Gloves make sure I am hand model ready for my day job!

patmanta likes this.
  19. 117harv

117harv

This thread made me agree with Jcmars first post...WTH...:)

20. indyjps

indyjps

Good trick I learned was to take that cheap snot like hand cleaner and rub it in my hands and around my nails BEFORE I start working, makes clean up very easy.
    leather for welding, mechanics for suspension or heavy work, nitrile for chemicals. I'd guess I wear gloves about 50 % of the time.

21. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Yes, I wear the cheap harbor freight blue gloves, when they break I take a brake. Of course welding gloves and I've been wearing the leather/cotton gloves for welding also. I'm old and gloves protect my thin skin and make clean up easy.

22. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

For general working on stuff, I like the original Mechanix gloves. There's a little loss of feel, true, but they help reduce the cuts and scrapes from sharp edges. For oil changes and similar quick maintenance tasks, the jersey gloves with nitrile coated palms are pretty good and make cleanup easier. For chemicals, especially cleaners, full rubber gloves. The degreaser I like best (the purple stuff from WalMart) will also dissolve skin and Nitrile gloves, so you don't really want it on your hands if you can help it. I don't mind getting dirty, but I don't really want a lot of this stuff soaking in either. When I worked as a mechanic, my hands were black, even when clean, due to the soaked in oil and crud. I figure that's probably not good for my long term health.

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

depends what I'm doing. i like deerskin leather for general fabrication, have some snap on mechanics gloves that I wear sometimes and the black nitirl gloves that I wear any time I'm using chemicals--especially laquer thinner.

24. I started wearing the blue HF gloves. I figure there has to be a limit on how many chemicals the body can absorb over the decades. I buy them on sale there or from Ace Hardware. I also use those Mechanix gloves but cut off the fingers so I have better dexterity.

25. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

26. I've been doing all sorts of mechanical work for 60 years and have never worn gloves. The first time I ever saw a mechanic wearing latex gloves, I couldn't believe my eyes. Of course, I felt the same way the first time I saw a guy wearing womens jewelry too so I guess I'm just behind the times.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Union Pacific RR gloves

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look!!!!!!!

Model T1 likes this.
  29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm in the Desk Job/Day Job camp. I need to wear gloves and find I get more done when I'm wearing them. Plus it's FREEZING up here in the winter so the added bonus of warm hands is A++ & I stay in the shop longer when I keep them on.

I've still got my first pair of Mechanix general purpose gloves with the velcro and they're my favorite. They're a little worn out but I don't use them for anything heavy. I don't bother with the heavier Mechanix gloves because the pair I had wore out in about a month and duct tape won't stick on them.

For anything heavy or if it's just plain cold, I swear by my $10 pigskin gloves. Once they warm up I barely notice them unless I'm trying to thread a bolt on something, then I just take a glove off and do it bare handed.

I've got a pair of Craftsman work gloves lying around too but they're crap. They make the index finger too long and too thick to be worth a damn to me. I only wear them if my pigskins or Mechanix are wet or I put them down somewhere and can't find them.

I've got some nice suede gloves for TIGging that I keep clean and a bunch of cheapo HF gloves of varying types lying around, but I only ever use those when I've misplaced by primary gloves... which I do.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

When I was young I used to scoff at guys that wore gloves (in warm weather). I wanted my hands to look as rough and tough as my dad's. I never worried about chemicals, washed my hands in the solvent tank, or used lacquer thinner to wash off paint, etc. When I worked at a power plant for a few years I got used to wearing thin cheap leather gloves because they bought them and I really like the blue rubber thin ones for greasy stuff like wheel bearing packing and for chemical stuff.

I was diagnosed with skin cancer about a month ago, on my tongue of all places. No idea where it came from, haven't smoked for 20 years and never really a lot when I was smoking, maybe a couple packs a week. If my lymph nodes hadn't swelled up I wouldn't have known until it was severe, luckily, it's very early stage. I have a tumor about the size of an M&M in the back of my tongue that I can't feel. They'll cut it out this time next week and hose around there with some radiation for a few weeks after. They say it's very treatable.

Bottom line, get some gloves and wear them. Not comfortable or inconvenient? .... get used to them. They don't make you less of a man, they may make you a survivor. Protect your skin, it's the biggest organ in your body. If it fails, you're a dead man.