Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Amherst, NH Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59KUSTOM, Mar 2, 2015.

1. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Does anyone have a definitive answer about the fate of the Amherst Swap. I received a letter, in November, from Werner's family, announcing his passing. The family said they would have more info, in January, but I still have heard nothing. I assume it's all over, but I don't want to believe it.

2. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this point there is nothing new on the web site. It would be a shame if it was over and what is left for swaps to get those parts everyone needs...

3. Last night I read in the Winchester local paper the announcement of his estate probate procedure.
    I think the shit storm is just beginning.
    The family probably has visions of $$$$$$$ dancing in their heads.
    Werner did Amherst for his love of automobiles and people.
    The survivors probably think otherwise.

4. I'm not writing off Amherst but I'm gearing up heavily for Fitchburg in 2months if the snow ever goes away.

GreenMonster48 likes this.

5. pitman

pitman

That one, and CT had one sometime in the Spring.

6. Going to miss the monthly trips to Amherst. I hope they find another location to have it if the family sells the property.

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

You know, TFoch, surprising someone doesn't zero in on Star Speedway parking lot in Epping. Perfect for a Sunday once a month morning swapmeet, plenty of space, plenty of parking. Easy to get to. Or Lee Speedway is another choice. You already have fences, toilets, etc. Just need some ambitious group to step up and approach the management.
    Since this is March already, if the family was going to reopen Amherst you'd think the word would be out.

8. We were all told by February we'd be notified. That obviously never happened.
    Now with his estate in probate things are going to take a while to get sorted out.
    My guess? Better look around at other locations for those so inclined.

9. anyone hear about a swap meet starting up in Hollis? a friend e-mailed me that one is starting up.

10. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I was SO looking forward to the Amherst swap. I come up from MA so Hollis would be fine with me!

11. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets face it there were a lot of venders that counted on Amhurst. The swap was also a place you could get a rebuilt Muncie or T-10 along with rebuilding services for carbs. I know they were not filling all 500 vender spaces but it was the biggest in the area.

12. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I had the same spot for 20 years. I'm going to miss the people, as much as , the cash. Had I known October was going to be the last one, I would have sought out more of the friends I'd met over the years, instead of just packing my truck & heading home.

ABONES likes this.
  13. The current flea market down the street in Hollis caters to mostly household goods, early collectibles, clothes and anything else you might have put away in the attic 5 decades ago.

Maybe they'll pick up the slack.

14. VespaJay

VespaJay

Wow, very sorry to hear of Mr. Carlson's passing. The Amherst swap is a certified institution. He ran a great show, both for vendors and attendees. I first went with my dad in 1977 and could probably walk the property blindfolded.
    I truly hope the event continues.

15. bgaro

bgaro

haven't heard any news either, but doesn't sound good.

16. gonzo

gonzo

About two weeks ago friend of mine who had already paid for his spot for the year called the family to get a refund, he was told that there had not been any final decision made yet, although I agree, it doesn't sound good. Even if it happens this year it sounds like the writing is definitely on the wall. Its a shame I've been going for years and looked forward to many more.

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

i hope the family is aware of this post. they will see how many folks rely on the monthly swap we all enjoy. maybe, just maybe they can see that if they cash out now, their money will be great for the short term. if they stay and host, that money is forever.

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

To the vendors or any one else on the HAMB who may have an email address for the Carlsons. Perhaps they could forward this thread to them just to let them know there is interest here for continuation of The Amherst Swap.

19. bgaro

bgaro

Word on the street is, Amherst is dead.

20. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Got the official notice in the mail, today. There will be no 2015 season. "At this time, we do not know what the future holds for Werner's "field of dreams" and whether the business will re-open in 2016." This is a sad day for New England gearheads.

21. The returned deposit checks were mailed out today.

Thank you Werner for everything you did for us over the past several decades.

It was a grand run!

59KUSTOM likes this.
  22. gonzo

gonzo

I agree. I'm sad to see it end but thankful for all the years we were able to go. I hope someone somewhere picks up the torch and starts a new monthly swap meet in the area.

23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

24. Disappointing

25. I'm going to miss the people that I only know from the swap meet. Quite a few people that I always stopped and chatted with. Only know the faces and first names. Good memories. Thanks Werner and the Carlson family!

gonzo likes this.
  26. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

27. I hope this becomes some entrepreneur's new opportunity.

28. VespaFitz

VespaFitz

Hey Folks:

Craig Fitzgerald here from BestRide.com. I wrote a piece about the swap meet this week, and I'm starting to get some guff from a few people saying that the swap meet is actually on. I've not been able to raise anybody from the swap meet directly, but would it be possible for one of you that got letters to take a quick iPhone photo of the letter and send it to me? Obviously obscure your address and name.

Thanks in advance. Truly bummed because this was my favorite event.

Here's the story I wrote:

http://bestride.com/blog/sad-day-in...antique-auto-show-swap-meet-is-no-more/15515/

29. VespaFitz

VespaFitz

Oh, my email address is [email protected] if you can email a photo. Thanks!

30. Nooooooooo... I went for my first time in October and loved it. Got my car in December and was looking forward to getting a lot of parts for good money. Now we have the oil leak on the 29th of this month, and the v8 club on the 16th of April, but this is going to hurt.
    Very sad for the passing of the man, as well as the event.