Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not just any barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnstonboys, Feb 21, 2015.

1. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Great score.. Make the former owned proud..

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Great score.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. Get it going and get it out to the community. There's nothing better to advance appreciation of old cars and hotrods than something rare and still out there.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't think it needs to be chopped, channeled or any other body mods, I do like the idea of a Studebaker V8 and the McCulloch supercharger, full fendered and just a rubber rake along with the must do safety upgrades of brakes and electrical including lighting and that would make a damn fine rod

5. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Nice Score !
    Heres ours Rodded in the late 60s and survives still today . No need to chop these . IMG_3631.JPG IMG_3635.JPG

6. ...I'd update that coupe with all bolt-on parts saving the orig. stuff, it'd be a lot more enjoyable to drive and parts easier to obtain. ...that way some future owner could put it back to orig. if they wanted.

7. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty swoopy body for a bread n butter car. No matter what was done to it it should finish a wee bit nose down and maybe 2-3" lower. That tail panel is very similar in design to the REO Royale cabriolet and coupe.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I actually like that body better than a 32 Ford. Definitely do not keep it stock. I like your choices on a mild hotrod stance, wheels, engine and brakes.
    I am not afraid to state when a car needs to stay stock. But this one will really be cool with a mild hotrod flavor. What a great side shot. Body looks perfect as is.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/garage-jpg.2842599/

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Image 4.jpg rockne.jpg 100_3126.jpg 100_3123.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  11. Roger53

Roger53

That's just plan old cooool get it runin ! Roger

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The Rockne is every bit as cool as a Deuce and in some ways better IMHO, not so many of them around. I know I would be a very proud owner if I had one. ;):cool::p:D:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

update:
    To answer some of the questions, It has a straight front axle under parallel leafs front and back. The motor turns, the brakes work (They are cable operated!) I repaired all the and I gutted the interior, but saved it so I will be putting it backing minus the mice. All the glass is good and windows go up and down. I will post more pics once the interior is back in.

The car was up in the White mountains, West Campton to be exact, where a Mobil garage owner Harold Edgell liked it so much he kept it on one side of his garage for all those years. He enjoyed having it just never drove it. It was drivable all those years.

For now the plan is to give it a rubber rake, improve the brakes, Wipe it down and drive it. While I look for, or make, some intake/exhaust combination to improve the sound and performance. I wont be touching the sheetmetal. My Model A already has a big V8 for long distance cruising so this will likely be the local cruiser, but its a streetrod so we cant talk about it on this site :) :)

Thanks for all the interest, I will keep you posted.
    Alan

Here are some pics of it sitting in the garage back in the eighties....

Attached Files:

Hotdoggin DaddyO and volvobrynk like this.
  14. You have made some wise choices. Wish mine was as stock as yours.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. halo26

halo26

Well.. I just came back from seeing this beauty in person (the Rockne, not Alan). All I can say is 'Wow'. There's not a vehicle in my fleet that's this rust free... and that includes the new ones. I'm usually a chop and channel, no remorse guy... but this thing is Way to nice to see a cutting wheel! Awesome score.. congrats!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

Hotdoggin DaddyO and Johnboy34 like this.
  17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Faster than a dog! That's a really cool find. It's neat to see it come back to life.

18. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

There gonna make those 2nd gears out of RUBBER next year!!! lol Nice real Nice It's can't get any better than ORIGINAL iron. Congrats!!!

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I wasn't going to drive it, I would sell it. Obviously that doesn't apply here. Sounds like it will end up pretty much as I would do.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Embrace that moment bud. It only happens once in a car find and can never be repeated. A good bath and a rub down next?

22. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

Not second, the shifter is sloppy so I was hitting reverse. Its better now that I know how to drive it :)

23. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

No the tank is in the back under the tire. My dog is hearding me because he thinks I am being unsafe!

24. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

Yep, new rubber and lots of cleaning next.

25. That's just awesome!

26. The only thing I could think of that I would not hot rod is a Stutz bearcat or a '33 Bugatti roadster. But I don't have to worry about ever owning either. ;)

I may not totally bastardize the Rockne because the patina (not rust and decay) is too cool but it would have to be fast and reliable. I may wax it though because the paint is too nice to let it decay and my cars park outside. ;)

neat old car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

I don't ever recall saying it would be restored. I just plan on using it. Besides isn't this the Jalopy journal?
    steps to create a jalopy:
    find an old car stashed somewhere....check
    do what it takes to get it running.... check
    Improve it as you use it.....underway!

:) :) :)

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is The HAMB, jalopy journal is read only.

Bur orker then that, I can only agree!

29. "somewhat rare" someone said way back. The registry for these things knows of about 75. You can probably double that for cars like this that they didn't know about. I have what's left of one here, but it's a mess, perfect to cut up for a rod. I like the plans for this one, it doesn't need much to be cool.

gas & guns and volvobrynk like this.
  30. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

I thought i would give an update:
    The Rockne is now running driving and stopping. It starts great just using the key. Not bad considering it rested for 63 years!!

So far i have cleaned, rebuilt or lubed... Carb, starter, fuel pump, brake cables, wheel bearings, brake rods, switches, cables, startix connectors. New parts were cap, rotor, wires, plugs, battery cables. The interior is all back together with new cardboard behind the original material. I left all the mouse houses out though!, seats are temporarily covered with homemade wool blanket seat covers. I have the fuel tank getting boiled out and the radiator shop. I took at least a gallon of rust, dirt, varnish out of it before sending it over! I need to get the old seals off the rear axle and source a newer set.

The new tires came in today and will get put on along with a new exhaust while we are at Viva Las Vegas 18.

I am so looking forward to driving it around this summer. Who knows maybe i'll attempt the trip from New England to Las Vegas next year like the guy from Norway did last year :)
    Thanks
    Alan

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    whtbaron, volvobrynk and gas & guns like this.