Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Red Ram Hemi 1954

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MoboMac, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

Recently aquired one of these..(running) with single exhaust
    Was thinking about headers........apparently Sanderson and Offenhauser BOTH offer them (for a Model A application)

Anybody had any experience with either?

2. 41hemi

41hemi

Sanderson is very nice quality. Can't speak for Offenhauser.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Good move early hemi exhaust manifolds are very restrictive.

4. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

I'm liking the Sanderson ones....and looks like they WILL fit the chassis without mods....
    Just curious if any knows the engine weight.... and peak HP and torque RPM...? (in stock form)
    I believe it's a 241

We're are not going racing........ just want to know the potential........

5. George

George

577 lbs with OEM parts inc generator ect.. 140 HP & 220 on torque. It should be noted that advertised C/R is 7:1, one was measured @ an actual 6.19:1. Custom 9 or 10:1 pistons are a good idea

6. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

Thanks.....for the good info..........even with the 2bbl...and single exhaust....it sure feels healthier than 140 hp....

What RPM am I shifting at?

9:1 sounds good to me.....but its running and driving right now....so we aren't taking it apart anytime soon........

7. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

been thinking about an offy intake....with 2 2bbls.....
    I know....a 4 bbl. is simpler and prolly cheaper....BUT......
    anybody here run one of these on an early hemi....?
    Will the front cylinders run leaner,due to the primary carb being above the rear of engine?

8. Jack Gifford

Jack Gifford
    from Phelps, NY

What car and what transmission? If it's a GyroMatic, I've got some interesting experience to relate, with the '53 Dodge I had with the 241 hemi.

9. George

George

You have to run non-progressive if running a 2X2.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

That's why I like the 3x2 setup

11. Andy

Andy

I ran an Offy with 2 48's for a few years. It ran fine,started great. only problem I had was the fuel stains from the 48's. I put on a Edmunds 1x4 with a Buick WCFB and could not be happier. Runs the same but no fuel stains.
    The 48's would also freeze up in cold wet weather. The heat crossover was open but did nothing. You would have to pull over and let them thaw.

12. sdroadster

sdroadster

Sanderson makes nice headers, but they tend to be long. I bought a set for installation on a roadster, and couldn't use them because of the ground clearance. I ended up having lakes headers built.

13. COOP

COOP

I picked up a running 241 a couple years ago, and the 'ol boy that had it told me that a 4bbl and good set of headers would almost double the power of that engine. The exhaust manifolds were ridiculous........ out of the head, right into a wall. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I go out and start it about 3 or 4 times a year. The guy I got it from sold it because it was on a run stand, and one day he was in the house and heard it start. Seems like his 8 year old granddaughter had seen him start it before and wanted to hear it run. He called me 'cause he heard I was lookin' for an old hemi. Now it resides at my place.

14. The ports are not charged with gas from the carb, they receive a fog of fuel mix from the intake plenum, when an intake is working properly the plenum is full of this mix of fuel and air and your intake valve is pulling its charge from it not from the carb or the carb location.

In theory the carb could be in a trailer being pulled behind the car. Ok that's a little extreme but you catch my drift right?

15. George

George

I'd have to disagree. The carb atomizes the gasoline. As the droplets travel they collied with other droplets & get bigger. The bigger the droplets the less of the gas actually burns, & it they get big enough they can fall out of suspension. The should be a lean situation in the front cyls if you were only using the rear carb of a 3X2, for instance.

16. 73RR

73RR

Agreed, but the fuel also falls out of suspension due to slow air speed or lack of enough turbulence in the air stream...also a function of 'that' particular carb being too far away from the valve on 'that' particular manifold. Lot-o-circumstances to be considered but there is a reason why virtually all single carb manifolds have the carb mounted in the center.....

17. George

George

Exactly!

18. Tim Herklots

Tim Herklots

I have a '53 Coronet 241 + GyroMatic, so be interested to hear...

19. I've had a 241. Fun to look at, very weak. The one I had was rated at 120hp. the old way with no accessories on it. Good luck with your project.

20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had a 241 (really 241.6) in a 41 Plymouth 4 door sedan, with a stock auto (R, N, 1, 2--no park). Ran like a clock (a small clock). It was neat and could get the car up to highway speeds (55 to 60 MPH) but not real quick.

osage orange likes this.
  21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

E90EB8FD-6860-4028-8E82-D517C259EE64.jpeg Great little motor and I have Sanderson headers with straight pipes . We ran a 3x2 intake with 94s and ran off the center with a progressive linkage and it kicked butt.

osage orange likes this.
  22. I wish I had one.

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The one thing your going to encounter is the oil filer location with the headers and we solved that issue with the beehive filter ..
    . I am now running a 6x2 dragstar but running 4 carbs. The 4x2 intake creates a whole new set of problems because of the length of the carbs . image.jpg

24. Andy

Andy

I adapted a big block Ford oil filter housing. It is a piece of al plate with some holes in it and some bent threaded rod. No cutting to the housing or the block. It would fit all the hemi's. You screw in the crooked studs with the inner gasket in place. Add the adapter plate and the other gasket and then attach the housing. It puts the filter back under the floorboard and out of the way of the headers. P1070010.JPG P1070109.JPG P1070110.JPG P1070111.JPG

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    osage orange and continentaljohn like this.
  25. 73RR

73RR

...I can fix that......;)

continentaljohn likes this.