Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crossing brands on powerplant choices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlmightyCrash, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. ^^^^ Most intelligent post on here, in a LONG time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

At least it's not a fanny shot.

3. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I was at a show and a guy looked under the hood of 58 ford and saw my 428. He looked up at me and said"You haven't put a Chevy in it yet?"
    He thought he was real cute. I thought he was being an fu$king asshole and told him so.
    I would never put anything but a Ford in my Ford. My car.....my choice.
    On the other hand, your car....your choice...

nelson845 likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much sponsorship money are y'all getting from your brand?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. A good friend of mine put a 400 Pontiac in a '55 Chebby 4 door. Not my choice, but it was OK.
    Another guy I know had a 389 Pontiac in a '48 F-1. That was neat!
    When I was a kid, my uncle built a '56 GMC with a J-2 Olds, now that was way cool!

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Take all advice with a grain of salt, stir slowly, and let come to a boil.Place in an 8X10 shallow pan and bake for 20 minutes. When cool, enjoy with a large glass of your favorite beverage ( Jack Daniels is highly recommended). Welcome to Hell's Kitchen for gearheads! As with most organizations involving cars, or motorized vehicles in general, ball busting is an art to be appreciated and practiced. It don't mean nuthin'. I will confess at this point that I had a '59 Ford pick-em-up with a 400 Pontiac motor in it. ( I feel better already) Mea Culpa.

AlmightyCrash and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

[​IMG]

So I was just kind of wondering if there were any objections here to valve covers that make a SBC look like a flathead?

8. Well it's no where near as cool as an overhead valve conversion on a flat head.
    Do those get fake plugs and fake plug wires to complete the illusion?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

a "TRANSVESTEIGHT"......... :eek:

Ray

Zerk, blowby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

As long as they make it overheat.

11. I had a '53 Effy with an AMC 6 in it once. My last Effy had an SBC in it and I did have a '49 F-1 that was powered by olds, probably the only one of the 3 that would be considered even mildly acceptable with this crowd. :oops::p:D

don't know if he had a French guy working for him or not, he did employ the brothers dodge for a while though.

Disguising a Chebby to look like a Ford or an Olds is like strapping a peperoni to your leg and going disco dancing. :eek: :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wish I had time to list all the freakazoid things I have built or been part of over the last 45 or so years (not to count the weird combos I grew up seeing).

I am not always the best person to ask advice of when it comes to what you should build as some have learned. Non-car related but one that truly stirred the pot ( and netted me a years worth happy miles on the road from another lover of all things bizarre) I once stuffed an iron head Sporster engine into a Cheney Norton frame. it was a little tall but I had a torch so no hill for a stepper. Painted it flame red and lettered Sporton on the tank so as not to attract too much attention. :rolleyes: Hell even Arlen raised his eyebrows over that one. :D :D :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  12. 73RR

73RR

Bingo! Now, how does a guy from the Mid-West happen upon that pic?

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You took the words right out of my mouth.

14. town sedan

town sedan

Back in high school, this was the mid-70's I knew a guy who had a 440 mopar in his '57 Chevy. I liked the car, but not everyone else did. Also had another friend back then who had the engine out of a 442 in his '67 GTO, but that's OT for around here. -Dave.

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a lot of people who ask why the 392 Hemi in my 55 Chevy. My thoughts are if they have to ask, they don't get it. IMG_3866.jpg

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Tell em just like why a dog licks his balls--cause he can!!!!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

It's called the internet :rolleyes: theirs more information on it then in every museum in the world!;)

18. RmK57

RmK57

Who would want a chev body in the first place?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  19. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I thought that when I decided to put a Ford engine in my Ford, I was being different. My first "hot rod" build was a Model A pick-up with a 350/350 Chevy combo. As a young man going to car shows and seeing what was being built, a Chevy in a Ford was quite common. Chevys were cheaper than Ford engines to build, probably still true today. I wanted something different so went with FoMoCo power.
    It really doesn't matter to me how people build their cars. Its a personal expression. Do whatever sends you into orbit.

AlmightyCrash likes this.
  20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought "what will make it faster?" was the essence of Hot Rodding.............:D

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Me too--and even moreso if it's punched .060 or .125.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

about 6 years ago I came across a nice 401 Nailhead so I started looking for something to stuff it in. A couple of years later I found a one owner been sitting since 1965 , 1950 Chevy sedan delivery. The rest is history.

23. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

To address the original question and the 350 in the Merc the o/p has, most swaps are done to improve the engine with one that fits. The small block Chevy will fit many situations and make very good power for the price. A small block Ford would be harder to swap into his Merc as it is longer. Yes I know there are aftermarket water pumps to shorten them.

What does seem strange, to me, is where a small block Chevy is swapped in for a early ' 50s Olds or Cadillac, but others seek out the same motors for swapping to early Fords. Why swap when the original motor; 303-324 Olds, 331 Cad is a good one? Cost or covenience for sure, but the worst choice is swapping just because the parts are the ones they have around.

As far as brand loyalty I put a 318 in my '51 Plymouth wagon, I thought it would satisfy the purity police. Nope, when they ask if it still has the old flathead and I answer "no" there is usually disappointment.

24. Proartguy said-

Why swap when the original motor; 303-324 Olds, 331 Cad is a good one? Cost or covenience for sure, but the worst choice is swapping just because the parts are the ones they have around.

Lots of swaps done on the presumption that a treefiddy combo is better. There could be absolutely nothing wrong with the current driveline but out it comes anyway. Even in the Chevys, 265s, 283s, 327s, 307, 305s relieved of service with a full life left but for the sin of not being a 350 are removed.

nelson845 and elgringo71 like this.
  25. 53 ford

53 ford

Front sump oil pan is the biggest drawback with a ford swap into a merc.

26. Way back when I bought a first year firebird convertible with a blown up Chevy engine in it. I had a Pontiac 400 just about ready to go into it. Around the same time my 66 buick GS' finally rusted all the way in Two. The FB got the 401 nailhead and ST300 Trans. FUN CAR !

27. My big conundrum is what to stuff in my next project. I've owned my 56 MGA for almost 41 years and my wife has never ridden in it, (she bought it for me) I think her first ride in it should be spirited, but not quite a panic attack. I am one of those who refuses to use Chevy engines, just because. MG did use the Rover v8 for a short time but Buick/Olds/Rover 215s have been done to death, don't want a computer, whats left.

28. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I road race
    I remember a few years back a guy put a 347 SBF in a 67 Camero just to piss on the bow tie guys
    Made me laugh

29. I can't say that I've seen more 215 than I can count on one hand. I'd run this rascal in a heartbeat.

image.jpg

SBC I've seen more than I could ever count.

Daimler hemi?

30. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

A buddy put a 302 in his 36 chevy coupe just to upset you hot Rodders:D:D:D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.