Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

2. O.K. good.
    Weedy means weak and flimsy.;)

3. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Finished the welding in the back and got the last bit of pipe to tie the two notches together for strength and to have a place to add shock mounts. Need the snow to die down a bit before I can get the body on.

Been posting a few ads looking for some parts, got lucky and found a better set of original running boards than I have and new NOS running board covers for dirt cheap. Also posted an ad looking for a Buick steering wheel and scored this bitchin 53 Buick wheel. Gonna have to machine an adapter for it but I think it will be cool in the build and flow nice with the 55 Ford dash I'm gonna section for inside.

[​IMG]

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

My dad and I spent the morning mating the body back to frame. Had to loosely mock the front sheet metal and hood to get a feel for what it would like assembled.

Some pics from today: If you click them they'll open up but not sure why they are so small????? Tried this 3 times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lowcoe likes this.
  5. Very cool and having your dad help makes it priceless. Lost my dad too soon. I know if he were here he'd be wrenching right beside me telling me about all the crazy things he did back in the 50's. Keep it up!!

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, I don't get to see my dad all that often but always enjoy the time we get together.

Next on my list is to section and fit a 1955 Ford dash and then start the metal work and chop.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Flip fronts belong on Anglia's, Peterbuilts and Pit-chicks...

8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Agreed, whoever did the flip front on this car before I bought it did a horrible job at best. Glad to see it with solid steel fenders again, they way it should have been in the first place.

9. telekenfun

telekenfun

How much of a section are you planning on taking? Here is what 3&3/8" looks like taken just below the belt line of my 36 five window. I loved the work you did on your "A" so I suspect this project will turn out equally fine. Please keep us posted.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.
    DSC_0051.jpg

10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks KB, I am not sectioning the body just narrowing the 55 ford dash. Love your 36

11. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit Dean. Nice progress. I am still on the 12 hour schedule.
    I think I and another Hamber are going to the Portland swapmeet in April. Let me know if there is something to keep my eyes open for. Say hi to your dad and brother for me.

12. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Don, it's coming together slowly but surely. Gonna narrow the 55 dash I got in Spokane and install that and then plan out for the chop and metal work.

Portland swap is on my "to do" list.

13. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Looking good dean!

14. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a long weekend, come down and we will talk about the good old days we are going to have!

15. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Greg, I need to give you a call soon to see about buying those skirts from you, hope you haven't sold them yet!

16. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Had another guy want them and he's been a pain in my ass, you get first dibs. I told him you have till the 15th of March. I'm in and out of the city so if it helps we can meet up.

17. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Greg, I can make it out this weekend if you are available. I'll call you tomorrow.

18. brad2v

brad2v

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm a big fan of '37's, my first car was a '37, it never got completed mind you. And a local guy. Cool car, keep up the nice work.

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, it's coming together slowly but surely

20. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Started fitting the rep o-fiberglass rear fenders (looking for good steal ones though): The fit is really poor and a lot of finagling was needed to close the gap.

About an 1 1/2" to move around:

[​IMG]

Still a bit more to go but getting there, tried the skirts I bought off Greg.

[​IMG]

Got this new re-upholstered bench seat off kijiji. Never been used and a steal for a 100 bucks! Will get a color change.....in a year or so, lol.

[​IMG]

Cut out the dash, exhausted more 4 letter words and found even more bondo stuffed in the A pillars.....for no real reason! Almost an 1" thick, broke out in chunks, lol. Just have to shake my head on this:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

How to ruin a perfectly good 55 Ford dash! LOL.

Decided to start cutting up the dash I got in Spokane, it's a very nice, complete 55 dash, I bought the whole unit and a cluster for 35 dollars!

[​IMG]

Needed to cut 13" out of it, before I committed to it, I thought I'd see how it looked with the 53 Buick steering wheel! Gotta say I'm liking it, won't be everyones cup of tea I'm sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of filler pieces to make and need to figure out how I'm going to utilize the curved pieces I cut off the ends into the doors!

Squablow likes this.
  22. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'd say it looks pretty sweet...
    Car is looking great...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks a lot.

24. Agreed!

25. Bart78

Bart78

Looks good. I love 37's to. I have a 38 standard body. That I'm going to make it a 37 some day. Found a good parts car for it to. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425484566.043020.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425484605.789810.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. brad2v

brad2v

Love the dash! Your 'new' one, not the fugly one you pulled out.

27. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

28. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, looks like you have a nice body sitting there! That 37 looks real solid!! My dad found a sedan that is in about the same great shape and am hoping the owner will sell me some parts off of it! Or the whole car

29. Ha ha, I almost bought that seat, cause, well, just cause it was a real good deal.
    It's shaping up nice!

30. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Dean- I sold that seat at the Lethbridge swap meet.