Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best/Worst 4 barrel manifold to adapt a small blower SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfalfa55, Feb 25, 2015.

1. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

What manifolds are good, bad or the best choice for adapting a smaller blower like a 4-71 to a SBC ? I have the access to machining and fabricating anything I want to make, so I thought I would ask.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Try an old Creitz 4X2, single 4 or Tripower unit, mill the top off, etc. etc.
    Usually run around, between, $200-$300
    There's one on the HAMB classifieds rite now for 3 bills or trade, same guy, same manifold on E-Bay for $125, no reserve.......................

untitled (3).png untitled (2).png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Peanut 1959 likes this.
  3. Go for a 2x4 and make a plate......Easy breezy!

4. There's one on the HAMB classifieds rite now for 3 bills or trade, same guy, same manifold on E-Bay for $125, no reserve.......................

Damn, I try and give the HAMB guys the better deal. No body has bought anything from me yet so maybe he's on to something.;) Nah, I usually pay too much for something I thought I needed and then never find anyone else that wants it.

The 2x4 idea is a good one.

bfalfa55 likes this.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like the Creitz over the Weiand because you can fine tune the 471 for & aft on the manifold. Not so limited on blower snout length, pulley/waterpump alignments, etc.. With the Weiand you are stuck with where they want the blower to go and you will have to buy accessory's to match.
    Watch your blower centerline to crank centerline when fabricating............................

afaulk likes this.
  6. agree with Rat!

7. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I've got a 2 x 4 Creitz that I picked up to adapt a 471 to. I ended up locating a Weiend 471 manifold so I no longer need the Creitz. I'll let it go for $225 plus the ride. No stripped threads no cracks or broken tabs.
    Thanks
    Jason

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I see why you suggested the Creitz, perfect ! The reason I asked about a single four barrel is I have seen a few examples where the adapter was made for 4-71. Does it really matter whether it is a single plane, dual plane or what runner configuration is !

I try to give the better deal, rather see somebody get their ride going than make a ton of money. I'm a cheap b@@tard, I always try to find it for a deal so if I have to sell it later I at least break even. It has worked most of the time !

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The Creitz is open plenum, any other makes with divided, single/dual plane may help low and mid range power band, something to consider for sure. For street use you probably won't notice a difference. The dual/single planes may be easier to tune if running multy carbs atop the 471. JMO......................................

10. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I would go a different route. Every now and then, you can find a really good deal on used 6-71 intakes - especially ones that were repaired or modified. You could "plate it down" to a 4-71 and it already has a pop-off valve.

afaulk likes this.
  11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I built mine from a old Eldebrock shoebox. I like the tunnel ram look. Course this was a long time ago. Regardless I welded on a 1" plate cut the openings and milled it flat. Sat a 6-71 on top with the blower drive and lined it up with the bottom pulley. Punched the holes for the aluminum studs...went really fast for the era. g

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a friend that used the Creitz manifold for exactly your app. in the late 70's and it worked great. I think he machined off the top just enough to make a completely open plenum and welded a flat plate of aluminum back on. he made a blowoff plate on the pass. side in that area between the runners.

13. You want an open plenum not a dual plane. The reason that everyone is suggesting the crietz is that the plenum runs the full length of the intake instead of just being a box in the middle of the intake. You mill the top off creat a new top plate and weld it on. easy peazy.

Might I suggest an intake that you could use that you will not be destroying something of historic value?

Find a Chevy cross fire ( it was a GM intake with 2 throttle body injectors) they are normally pretty cheap and they have a removable top. Make a new top that will situate your blower and bolt it in place of the old top.

14. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I actually considered that but was unsure how it would react to the blower with the cross flowing ports.
    After seeing the Creitz idea, I thought I would make an adapter that bolted to it without carving up.

15. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I just picked up a Creitz and will be adapting it my 4/71. I have the manifold sitting on the block with the blower on top. Adapter will be a breeze once I get a height measurement. Mine will be bolt on. Most will be hidden and you wont see them anyway.

That's what I am doing, pictures when I get to making the adapter???

cb1

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did this one about 75-76
    Edelbrock Smokey Ram
    Maverick 014.jpg

Enderle hat, not Mr. GASKET

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    flux capacitor likes this.
  17. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Did you get a single or dual four barrel one ?

18. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

That looks like a nice, clean job !

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a Creitz manifold on Ebay.

20. The blower or the motor won't care at all, it is shoving your mix into the cylinders and that does away with any type of runner length tuning. You could even open it up and carve everything out of the inside of it to make it one big open box.

The only thing I see wrong, for lack of a better term, with making an adapter to go on top of a 4 bbl intake is that it pushes your blower up higher then it needs to be. if you are good with it then it is not wrong at all, if you catch my drift.

21. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Yes - Id like to get 300 for my creitz and we all know its a Deal at $125....am I taking a risk listing it at that on ebay? sure. If a Hamber wants it and makes a reasonable offer its theirs. Had to list a price on here so I put what id "like" to get.....we all know how that goes

22. Tony

Tony

Another option is a weiand low dual quad intake. Pretty much the same open design as the creitz, but is not flat from carb base to carb base.
    Dyers used them when making the V6-71 intakes years ago.
    The'd machine out the carb area and weld on thier flange.
    I had one of thier V6-71 set ups years ago with that intake set up.
    More work than a creitz, but can still be bought new fairly affordable.

Tony

23. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

dual four barrel

24. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

picture

Attached Files:

25. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Well, I ended up getting an old Edlebrock C26 with an oil fill tube and breather cap for $135. It needs some threads repaired and a huge clean job but I think it will work just fine. Pics to follow.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

FYI, there was just a single 4 barrel Creitz on that auction site we all know and love; it may still be on there. Being they are so flat on top, I'd think they would lend themselves well to adapting a blower to. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Yeah Butch it was ididntdoit1960's, a member here on the HAMB. Pretty sure it sold for about double what I paid for mine. I also believe that it would be a great choice for a blower but I couldn't see myself cutting open the top of it like was mentioned earlier in this thread to adapt the blower.

28. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't mourn the loss of a Creitz manifold and I also wouldn't pay much. If your not going to use it for a blower manifold, it would be wall art or completely useless.

29. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

I'll just throw this out there to , I have a NOS 471 blower that I dont need . I want to go with a 671 , if your interested $500. I'll trade it for Mopar parts , try me . This has never been installed on anything . I'm in Canada , but shipping shouldnt be to bad . Our dollar is shot

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The blower is easy. Do you have a SBC manifold to go underneath it?