Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crossing brands on powerplant choices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlmightyCrash, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

I see a lot of people putting motors from opposing brand vehicles into their rides. I don't mind personally, but know some people that feel we should be true to the original nature of our cars.
    I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

wood remover likes this.
  2. No big deal, back in the day, we used anything we could get, that we could afford. Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the HAMB.

JimSibley, CHUCK50DODGE and TagMan like this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Here comes the "put a ford in a ford " RETARDS.... 3....2...1...

Let us not forget the " as long as its not a belly button Chevy" dickheads also

4. Man, you're gonna have to come up with a better thread idea than this.

Mike51Merc and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Hot Rodding is not "true to the original nature of our cars".

40fordtudor, lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  6. clem

clem

Hate to state the obvious- those that mix and match, dont mind, those that stay true to original cars possibly do mind.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's OK but there are a few don'ts

Do not put in an engine with less power than what came out.
    Do not emblazon the car with all the emblems you took from the donor vehicle.
    Do not tell the counterman you need parts for a Ford with a Buick engine in it.

willbe, wvenfield, MrFalcon62 and 3 others like this.
  8. 'I wonder if this will fit into that?' is the essence of hot rodding....

40fordtudor likes this.
  9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Go ahead and lock this thread after that....

10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Always liked this one.

Big Al.jpg

King ford, clem, blue57ford and 9 others like this.
  11. U-235

U-235

I was going to post...but...nahhhh.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I hear you. This could develop into hatemail.

13. R Pope

R Pope

Whatever turns your crank, I guess. The OP would have loved the Mustang with a flathead swap from NYC a few years ago...A Ford in a Ford!

14. These "some people" that feel ,,,,,
    Well they are wrong and wrong on many levels, they've been deceived.

15. nobux

nobux

To me, the allure of these cars is being able to combine your favorite car, engine, transmission, differential, gauges, etc.... into one package. They are a blank slate.

1927graham likes this.
  16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

FAB32 said 'This isn't paint by numbers, it's hot rodding'

17. I put a chrysler in a plymouth, does that count for anything?

clem and Hnstray like this.
  18. BJR

BJR

Ever notice Almost no one puts a Ford engine in a Chev body.

19. I'm just not sure the OP understands what hot-rodding is all about.

40fordtudor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As dismissive as some of the above posts may be, there is a sort of hierarchy in "approved" transplants. Acknowledging that some folks feel strongly about keeping the engine brand the same as the chassis/body, or of at least the same manufacturer, nothing more needs to be said about them.

However, for the majority of Rodders who theroretically embrace "anything goes"... It seems some swaps just aren't done.....at least not without raising eyebrows.

Acceptable practice allows a Chevy to be put in anything...even a Cadillac. And that can be expanded to include using any GM engine, not just Chevy, in any other manufacturers chassis. But if you dare, as a few have, to put a FOMOCO V8 engine in a GM chassis....no matter how well it works....be prepared for lots of questions.....and some suspicions....mostly about your family history and/or sexual preferences.

If you swap in a MOPAR engine, as long as it's a HEMI, anything goes (a philosophy close to my heart), but again, a less revered version will not be met with the same, if any, enthusiasm.

And pity the poor bastard who dares to use a Studebaker, AMC, International or ??? in ANYTHING other than the same make, or similar out of the ordinary, chassis.

In attempting to describe the way things are I am not judging them....it's just how it is.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  21. Lmao-
    well its not the OP exactly,
    You see he posed his statement with the "so I have a friend who (insert your problem here)" disguise.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. ..............................................................True.

40fordtudor likes this.

23. Yes^^^ what he said !!

Now there's another set of factions within those ranks. Its not just a Chevy engine, no sir not any sbc Chevy will do. Which ever one you pic somebody will have something to say about it. Mostly the treefiddy guys.

Same with the Hemi, No no no you don't want an extended bell, Why mess with anything but a 426, them 92s are the best. Among others.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Look back in any of the early hot rod magazines,and the engine swaps were as popular then as they are now. HRP

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

26. Larry, Ken (KENDEUCE) has the most wicked sounding 283 in his Deuce Vicky and it also sounds good when his giving you a tow. :D HRP

pitman and 3wLarry like this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm a slot mag snob. Have to get your snobbiness where you can, I suppose.

3wLarry likes this.
  28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I enjoy when a car has a modified or HP version of its original brand engine, especially something more rare like a supercharged Studebaker in a Studebaker or even more common like a BBC in a tri-5 Chevy or a big block Mopar A-body.
    Of course it would seem odd for a Mopar 440 to be transplanted into a Chevy and vice-versa.
    Sometimes I think the SBC guys just get a bit too defensive about their choice, essentially saying their choice is the best evidenced by the fact that so many others make the same choice. Not to bash SBCs, because I actually like and respect the engines, but it does get a little boring when they're transplanted into anything and everything.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    73RR and Hnstray like this.
  29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Even the car manufacturers sometimes don't put their own engines in cars. For example, Oldsmobiles that used Chevy motors right off the assembly line. (ie, "Corporate engines")

Don

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Take a look at an old hurst catalogue, there are soooo many different combos of motor mounts to swap anything any kind of way. Then there are the Trans adapters of many configurations.

If a crossbreed of power plant bothered everyone, we'd have no one to single out and enjoy watching have a conniption fit over it.

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.