Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs lowering F-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-head, Feb 23, 2015.

1. F-head

F-head

just got a crappy 53 F100 and would like to lower the front end keeping the parallel leafs
    anybody figure out an easy way to do it without a dropped axle,or mono leafs
    looks like i can move the spring hangers up on the frame in the rear
    got time just no money
    thanks in advance
    Bruce

2. [​IMG]
    I flipped the axle to the top of the springs and used a 3/4" lowering block.
    The rear I just flipped the axle again. The rear needed a c-notch the width of the frame rail.

3. F-head

F-head

front axle on top of springs? sounds cool any pics? hows it drive? how much travel?c notch?

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

How's the bump steer? I considered that on my '55 but wanted to move the axle further forward in the wheel well also.

I ended up doing a JW Rod Garage mustang 2 kit up front with axle on top of springs out back.

5. I'll try and get a picture today.
    It drives okay. It doesn't drive like a brand new Lincoln, but it doesn't drive any worse than a stock f100.
    I didn't c notch the front, it will hit the bump stops if I hit a bad pot hole though.

6. F-head

F-head

thanks Lee
    im on a low budget and want to just use stuff i have laying around here
    I am looking for a really nice 53 to 55 bare cab though
    so if ya see anything around I have a lot of stuff to trade
    love your 53
    what power?

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There is an extensive thread on the HAMB about setting up an axle-above-spring front end. I think it was related to the LSR truck built a few years ago.

8. F-head

F-head

hey thanks i found that thread
    very informative

9. Rob68

Rob68

Nice truck man.

Jalopy Kid likes this.
  10. Sorry I forgot to get you a picture today. I do have another nice cab. It's 12 hours away from you though. Spend more on shipping than its worth.
    I have a 223 inline 6 with a 3 speed in this truck.

11. F-head

F-head

hey Lee
    did you raise your steering box
    looks like a good way to go as long as you do the raise
    think thats the direction im heading

12. willymakeit

willymakeit

A 57 axle will give 1 to 1_1/2'' of drop. If using drum brakes get the backing plates. Reversed eyes more.
    For rear reversed eye springs, flip the hangers and get extended hangers. Go to Mid Fifty's site for all the info and what springs to remove.
    If you want to run front and rear anti roll bars look at Bronco2. Get everything as they work well.
    I am running all of the above and got around a 4'' plus drop. I think it will settle abut an inch more. I wanted to be able to miss parking bumper with mine.
    Try the Ford truck Enth. site also. Ive built or had experience with 5 or6 with these items. Simple and easy.
    If I was placing front axle on top of springs I would relocate steering box higher to keep geometry better plus a notch.