Register now to get rid of these ads!

Behind a pile of motors, in between some Buicks, and under some tin, Model A find....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I moved the line over a bit and just hung the basturd upside down to see if the system was actually functioning. Seems that the pressure side is working, but with the clutch being all sticky stuck there's no return action. Smart money on the tranny comin out.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I wonder if these pics will load....

3. jerry

jerry

No pis yet.

jerry

4. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I dunno what's up with this app... going to try and upload them to computer and post them the "traditional" way!

5. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

These pics might post... worms eye view, greasy ford trans with stuck throw out bearing, gassersteve working on it, and a shot of some stuff....

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So after we got the transmission pulled we started investigating. ... found the throw out collar was all gummied up with grease and dust and shit. Cleaned that up and things are acting like they might actually work. The throw out bearing is a sealed type and was thirsty for grease so I learned a trick tonight....

First you need to have a needle attachment for your grease gun. I measured the tip because there's no reason to drill too big. In this case our needle was around .090. I grabbed a #38 drill and a cordless and put a hole in the edge of the bearing, making sure to only drill through the bearing case and not the inner goody spinny type stuff inside. Once I had a hole drilled, I filled it extra full of grease until satisfied I had wasted enough grease to flush the bearing clean. Next I grabbed my favorite liquid weld and put a dab to seal the hole. After a few minutes I scotch brite-ed the epoxy to take away the excess and leave things looking all pro-skills.

While the epoxy was drying I hit the trans adapter with a wire wheel and glass beaded it for good measure. Then I figured what the hell, may as well get the clutch set put back in. Im going to clean and paint the transmission before putting in back in, we'll run the Ford unit until it blows up and then swap in a LaSalle.

That's it for now. More updates in a couple days....

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I swear I uploaded pics of the bearing deal. I'm still having issues I guess....

8. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Hit or miss... two out of ten loaded...

Attached Files:

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I kind of got busy with this whole land speed racing thing and forgot to update this thread.

After I got the tranny settled back into place, I thought for sure I'd be doin burnouts and terrorizing the streets fairly quick but another little problem popped up that really makes me think this thing was never driven. The clutch and all the related goodies looked like they were brand spanking new and wouldn't ya know it, the little arm that moves the throw-out bearing to and fro is needing to be modified to allow full travel on the shaft. As it sits now you can press the pedal and the bearing will just reach the fingers on the pressure plate and that's it... it's running into the bell housing and will take some time/modification to get it working properly.

With everything that needs doing to have the LSR car ready for Speedweek we have put a ban on working on anything but that, so no Model A, no my Nailhead motor, no Jessica's '64 Comet, no Bryan's '36, and no dragster with a blowed up Jimmy motor... Salt fever has once again fully taken over the shop, but I wanted to update you guys that have been following along and let you know that I'll be back on this project once we get back from the Great White Dyno.

10. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Back inside. Trying to get the body to fit to itself. We are basically re-aligning and re-mounting the body. Once we have that sorted out I'll figure out what the next delay will be...

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Except for the stool and jack the photo could be from the 1950-60's. Very cool looking !

12. Now you know why the car was parked...

13. YJ4000

YJ4000

Progress!! It's great to see it coming together.

Ryan.

14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

It's been one thing after another with this thing. Two steps forward and three back. Made some mods to the trans and clutch systems so that should work. We know the engine runs so there's that. I only wish I had spent more time on the car before Jessica's dad passed and before we got involved in the salt and lake bed racing. We coulda been hauling ass a looooonnnnngggg time ago.

15. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been said many times, but that car is AWESOME!! Good luck getting it on the road.

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Remember a few pages back when these pictures wouldn't load? Well, here's the photographic evidence of my throw out bearing fix...

I have no pictures to show how we solved the clutch issues however. On top of the fact that the throw out lever was jamming up against the bellhousing, once we fixed that we discovered the snout was too short. After a bit of measuring and calculating, Dave sent me out back to dig through our cast iron sleeve inventory and I found a suitable chunk of material.

First I machined a piece of carbon bar to fit between the too short snout and the new length we'd be adding, about an inch and a half. Then Dave brazed them into one-ness. After removing the carbon, I chucked the whole deal in the four jaw lathe and turned the whole deal inside and out. Reinstalled the trans and it seems like we're golden.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Such a cool thread! You are doing a great job saving that righteous hunk of iron. Good times ahead!

18. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

What about the 50 Buick 2- door

19. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I put the tin from the Model A on top of it.

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I dragged this sucker back inside on Monday afternoon. We've had about a million other projects taking us away from working on the Cabby but I'm back on it once again. Have a few little bits to sort out and then we're gonna drive it. Stay tuned for some more pics and video.

Attached Files:

Tim, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'd almost forgotten about this car. You need to post more often than every 6 or 7 months Nick!! Lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I wish I got to work on it more. Being a side project, it takes a back seat to our Land Speed car and other builds. Poor little Cabby has been shoved aside a few times in the last couple of years. Luckily it just needs a couple days worth of thrashing and can be a running, driving car. And even more lucky, I have the shop all to myself for the next five days.

Oh yeah, we fired it for a few seconds last night and it still sounds awesome...

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I apologize if someone has already said this, but the car in the background looks like old Nash rambler to me.

24. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Nope. It's an Allied bodied roadster.

25. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Oh yeah, we fired it for a few seconds last night and it still sounds awesome...
    Well, where's the video? We want to hear it too!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

Nick, are you talking about the one circled in red on page one by Texas Speed?

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup he is, as has been discussed.

Car looks rad man glad to see your making some moves on it :)

since the time that you complained about the ap being wonky they shit down the app and made the mobile site better and I've found it super easy to post photos from my iPhone if that's not what your already doing.

I'm not sure sure if you can load video the same way or not. Looking forward to progress either way :)

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You're not alone. I agree with you. I think the OP watches too much of that Vegas Rat Rod crap on T.V.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

X2
    This whole thread has been a huge disappointment.
    A rust broken down piece of crap old hot rod pulled out of a wrecking yard with little or no history.
    Probably a rat rod of the day when it was built.
    Instead of building a nice hot rod out of it, it will instead be "preserved" :rolleyes:
    So now it will be a rusty poorly built but running piece of crap.

rmcroadster likes this.