Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not just any barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnstonboys, Feb 21, 2015.

1. I'm a hot-rodder to my core but that car should stay stock. Remain preserved for eternity.

JB_roadrage likes this.
  2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

lots of opinions, but, what did he promise Darlene?

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Just tell everybody that you got "an untouched 32 3 window" and leave it at that.
    Fix 'er like you want 'er but get 'er back in use!
    Great story.
    Good luck and please share the car's future (and past, if you got it!) with us.

4. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Congrats. What a Killer vehicle. If it is 100% stock, why not get it running and driving and just use it gently for a couple of years. After that, if it isn't a joy to drive, get out the sawzall and give it a haircut, a newer mill, some traditional wheels and tires and enjoy it more as a mild traditional hotrod.

Just my 2 cents though.

Still a very cool car.

VR&C.

5. slammed

slammed

By leaving this time capsule alone, you (or anyone else) can save an tore up old car that is sitting outside rotting. Really nice find.

blowby likes this.
  6. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

I spent the day evicting mice. Not as bad underneath, not a single rust hole. The engine turns, tomorrow I might work on the wiring and clean the fuel system. Maybe see if it will fire!

Darlene says i can go anyway I want with it, but the plan for now will be to get it running as is with new rubber and brakes. If the engine is bad then I may think about dropping a 259 in it but for now its going to be left as original as possible.
    I got to go pull it out of it's resting place with my Dad, brothers and one son yesterday. I am still a little overwhelmed that i finally have it.
    Her are a couple more pics...

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a beautiful body! I would be very careful with it, but I would hot rod it.

Better carburation, better exhauste, better tires (rubber rake), remove the spare wheel and install a second rear light with a better stop light.

Because this is such a beautiful build from the beginning. But it's gonna drive like like at 80yrs old retiree in a stock car race.
    It'd be scare to drive it in rush hour.
    No disrespect to old people!

But small mods goes a long way, and can ensure you drive it a lot. Keep up with traffic and keep safe. And you will be much more happy if you can drive it every day!!

Don't chop, don't channel, don't section and no need to remove fenders.
    But work the tires, brakes and mill!

Look at @tb33anda3rd, he has the most beautiful coupe, that is almost perfect! Only needs to change country under the tires

And listen to @HOTRODPRIMER, he is almost always right. :)

HRP was only wrong twice in the time I been on the HAMB!
    First time he doubted him self, and second time he proved his doubt to be wrong! Lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    gas & guns and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

enjoy the car you want to as its yours ,just make sure you do use it, now you have it

9. wsdad

wsdad

What's the story as to why it was parked all those years ago and never used?

10. Probably one of those "I'm gonna fix it up one of these days" and life got in the way and time passes. HRP

gas & guns likes this.
  11. Oh man! That looks like pure fun to me. Great lines, congrats. I think if I had it, I'd polish up the paint, make bolt-in brackets to mount a 259-289 Stude engine, T-10 and dana 44 posi rear. I'd be looking for another stock front axle while I had the original axle dropped about 3" and check to see what brakes it has. If it doesn't have self-energizing hydraulics, I'd converted it and re-use the original wheels.3" lowering blocks in back........
    If I couldn't find a good Paxton blower setup, I'd prolly use a pro-charger or something similar and put a Paxton [or did Studes use McCullough?] blower emblem on it. Convert it to 12 volts and drive hell out of it!
    Convert the car back to original when you want.
    Oh yeah...........the spare tire on the back would have to go, using a full width bumper.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. Rocky,I like the way you think! HRP

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've never understood the "Drive The Wheels Off It" advice on rare finds, it has survived all these years why risk distroying it now? Bob

14. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I was actually picturing an "Early Times" style build.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I restored my first car, ex-DD, and hopped it up, but planed to drive it so much I need to rebuild the mill at least ones! The is no excuse to own it if I don't drive it.
    Enjoy it, works just the same.
    But I can't enjoy it in the barn. A little in the shop, but ten-fold on the street!

My thoughts exately, it's the way to go! Don't even need to blow it apart. That's a rare opportunity to do what they did back then, with out diggin it up a ditch, buy 4 body's to make one or pay a restores big bucks, just to pull the fenders of a nice car. Here you could work the engine and trans and have a very mild rod, to enjoy all day and all night

flux capacitor likes this.
  16. Because it's not a static piece of furniture or a fine vase.It was designed to be driven and I believe it should be. But in reading this thread, I see some who do not agree with my philosophy on old cars and I can respect, er, see their point of view.

kiwijeff, Jeff Norwell and volvobrynk like this.
  17. jimpopper

jimpopper

If it won't run without heroic measures, put it in a good building and forget about for another 30 years. Your kids can get it out and repower it with a flux capacitor or whatever is the motorvation of that day. If it runs, wear it out, then do above..

flux capacitor likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You had me all the way to the blower part, lost me at the blower, and found me again around the 12v part.

19. Very cool car......I would like to see a photo of it when you get it on the road.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I think it's a shame it sat like it did. I'm not sure of the original owners intention for it, perhaps he just enjoyed having it or life got in the way of his master plan. But as my dad has always said if you don't use or drive them you are just saving them for someone else. Most of the suggestions to get it road able are not destroying it at all, just getting it to a functioning state as it was originally intended. Would I chop, channel, section, wedge cut, shave this particular car? Probably not, but in stock fashion mechanically it's a parade car use only which as a hot rodder would not interest me in the least. It's sat long enough and should be used and I bet original owner would approve.

russellmn and volvobrynk like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe a minority Danny, but you'd have some company.
    First thing I'd do is get that t-shirt, you guys know the one, with the guy and the big ass chainsaw.
    You know the rest of the story.

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn!!!!!!!I forgot my Photoshop password.

23. I believe you are thinking about the Posies T Shirt that states "Anyone car restore a car but it takes a real man to cut it up",,or something along those lines.

I would not suggest cutting up that car but a mild hot rod,dropped axle,bigs & littles and a V8 would be a improvement in my honest opinion. HRP

gas & guns and volvobrynk like this.
  24. studebaker46

studebaker46

I am in agreement with hrp and and ddddenny this is ahotrod sight and also isn't there a musem in south bend that old bs about too nice to hotrod is just that BS jmo tom

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[QUOTE="HOTRODPRIMER, post: 10859617, member: 1182"
    in my honest opinion. HRP[/QUOTE]
    I like ya better when you're not so honest Danny

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Despite you being right, it's still a cool t shirt! LOL

Less is more, and dosent matter how much you do, it's that you make it more enjoyabl!

Does these cars run hydraulic brakes, can't remember if it was a Stude, Pontiac or Plymouth trademark? Are they all mopar or pre-mopar?

27. Pardon my ignorance who made the car? is it a Studebaker??

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Somebody early on said it what's in a relations to studebaker, but I honestly don't know.

29. Yeah,it was built by Studebaker for 2 years...1932-1933. HRP