Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Interior, what kina glue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Going to try and do as much of the interior as I can in my 51 dodge bus coupe. What is the best interior glue to use that works? I've heard of brush on glue but haven't got any experience with it. I don't sew, may have to learn, but I thought I would glue everything I can. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a black head liner reasonable I'd appreciate that. I've got all the rods that go to it.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

For interiors you can't beat 3M brand Trim Adhesive in aerosol cans. Its convenient and holds well if used properly.

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

DAP Contact Cement. Available in Home Despot in the paint section. Used it to do a headliner on a '52 Plymouth. Worked like a charm.

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Me too on the 3M. Just follow the directions, and that stuff will stick like you would not believe. I made myself some door panels and a few other things about 10 years ago for my car and they never did come unglued The matter how hot it got outside or how cold.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would pass on the 3m if you are ever going to be in extreme heat areas like here in Phoenix. Years ago I glued up the head liner for Plymouth, three times, only to find it lovingly draped across the top of my dash and seats three times when the weather went over 110. 3m's only response to this was "move somewhere cooler, why do you want to be in 110 degree heat anyway?".
    It's DAP for me these days exclusively...

6. skipstitch

skipstitch

Use the DAP linked above.... You can find it in 1 gallon cans on E-bay. Gonna cost a bit, but will last forever. You can brush it or spray it thru a cheap spray gun.

Stay away from the 3m. It does not like heat.

nanos1932 likes this.
  7. They had a high of 12 degrees today. Call them on Monday and explain it by telling them what it was at Sky Harbor ;)

need louvers ? likes this.
  8. fordor41

fordor41

I talked to 3M, before I did my '41, about their trim adhesive and was told not to use it on a headliner

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

10. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I'm an upholsterer and landau top adhesive is what I use for everything. I don't know a supplier other than upholstery places. 3M sucked whenever I've used it

11. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

We only use DAP now. We tried all of 3m's stuff even the high heat $20 a can stuff it all failed before we finished the project and it was only early spring so in the 80's. If you use the DAP make sure you stick your piece where you want it because it is stuck. We get ours in the 5 gallon can from our local lumber yard. He doesn't carry it in the store but his supplier can get it so there is no shipping or hazmat charge.

D Smith

need louvers ? likes this.
  12. atomickustom

atomickustom

I did not use 3M on my headliner but the "super" adhesive never let go on my car with plenty of 100-110 days over the years.

13. Plus one on the air gun, did that when we did my car. Is handy of you have a fair bit to do. Much easier than painting it on and cheaper than aerosol cans..

14. If your doing it yourself and don't have access a professional glue pot/spray gun the 3M or a product similar works well provided you follow the directions and spray both surfaces to create a bond that will last. HRP

15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i get the glue from my local trim shop $20 a gal and use a cheap hr gun with a 02 tip

16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have only used the 3m brand a couple of times, and it worked well. I was introduced to it by a interior shop here in my little town. He warned me only spray it where you want it.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I totally agree, you need to check the heat specs on glue as some won't stay stuck when temps get high like you guys see

18. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

My trim guy said if it come in a spray can it will not hold!!!!

need louvers ? and wbrw32 like this.
  19. I agree on the 3M it just does not stick or last very well. I will be trying DAP.

20. I tried all the aerosol glues and they all suck except it sticks to your fingers well

prewarcars4me likes this.
  21. I have been upholstering for the last 50 years,,,There are not many places that a spray glue is needed...I only use the 8001 3M
    in a tube...where needed...

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

3M. If you buy it in the gallon can with cheap Harbor Freight spray gun.