Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not just any barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnstonboys, Feb 21, 2015.

1. johnstonboys

johnstonboys
    from Dover, NH

Home with Rockne_Alan with Gus_2.20.15.jpg

This 1932 Rockne rumble seat coupe was parked in the garage of my Gramp's best friend, Harold. Parked in 1952, and not registered since, (note the 1952 plate and inspection sticker), It was there in my earliest memories. In the sixties I played in the Rockne while it sat in this garage. Actually, it was more like I was told to "quit messing around in that car!" It is as 100% stock today as it was when parked it 62 years ago. It has weathered the storage well. No rust holes, just some great natural patina and a few mouse condos.

Harold's daughter Darlene has enstrusted me to be the next caretaker, and I was happy to bring it home today. I hope to get it back on he road by summer where it truly belongs, I am so grateful to Darlene for this opportunity.
    Alan

Attached Files:

cretin, Finn Jensen, Dave Mc and 13 others like this.
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

3. Oh man, what a great story and a beautiful car. It's amazing that you have such a long history with it. Did you ever think when you were a kid that you would own this car someday?

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great find, you won't find too many of them these days and very unique. Very Brewsterish grill shell and inset

5. 2935ford

2935ford

What a cool and somewhat rare car.
    Nice.

Plans?

6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car, that grill is cool !

7. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

8. What's the plan for the future? you are planing on building a hot rod,right? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

In true hotrod fashion I would have to modify it with bolt on goodies for performance, big and littles for rubber rake to begin with and see where that takes me if it were mine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Rear find indeed!Lucky man,get it running and drive it.You won't have to cut it cause it looks good as is.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Geeze Louise... I'd be tempted to get it running, replace the tires and wires fix the brakes and drive it. Do bunches of research!

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Caretaker must be the new hot term such as barn find and the like, much like a museum curator for some historic piece. It's sat dormant long enough, use it and make it your own. Neat vehicle but needs to be used.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

A beuatiful car. I wouldn't change anything on it you couldn't put back to original. Plenty of cars to hot rod out there. Not many originals in that beautiful shape. If it were mine, I'd just get it running and drive it as is-no restoration, no modification. Have fun

Model T1 and Bubba1955 like this.
  14. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Was it sitting in Dover NH all these years?

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  15. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

My thoughts exactly....

smoked1 likes this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Much as I love hot rods, I'd make it safe to drive (good tires and updated brakes - maybe 12V electrics) and drive it as is.

17. ...the other deuce, very nice car, keep us posted.

18. Wow, beautiful car. I love those. And in such good shape to be stored upside down.
    I don't think I could bring myself to modify that treasure.

scotts52 and clem like this.
  19. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I would do whatever it needs to make it safe and reliable and drive it,the patina is perfect

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! New BLACKWALL tires, oil change, check the wires and brakes,put plates and insurance on it and call it done. Bob

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I am so grateful to Darlene for this opportunity".

She should also be grateful to have you as the caretaker as it sounds like the car will be in great hands!
    With that "39" numeral license plate, you should do some research through NH DMV to see if you can determine how many vehicles were registered in the county in 1952.
    Any old photos of the car in the family album?

22. Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  23. HEY KID, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THAT CAR!!!

Seriously, have fun.-MIKE:eek::D
    ( Oh ya, even looks good upside down!)

blowby likes this.
  24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

What an awesome car ! You very rarely see them at all. It would be a terrible shame to modify it (I know , I know - it's a hot rod site & he can do what he wants) . There are not that many around (it's no Model A) , so if it were mine (and I know it's not) I would do like others have said , and get it running and stopping with new rubber and drive the wheels off that sucker and enjoy it , and enjoy telling the cool story to everyone who asks about it (and they will).

Good luck with it , you're a lucky dude !

Model T1 likes this.
  25. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Man Rick, my question exactly!

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Says the guy with a bunch of '54 wagon resto threads... :)

My vote is to leave it stock.. Didn't hot rodders usually start with junkers?

A Rodder and slammed like this.
  27. Remarkable!!! With it being so complete, unique and solid, I would absolutely restore it. This coming from a nearly 70 year old hot rod guy. tim

28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Ditto

29. Yeah,restored,didn't you know that all '54 Fords came with 302's and 5 speed transmissions? :D

OK,I'm in the minority here but it would sure make a nice hot rod! HRP

kiwijeff, hipster and blowby like this.