Register now to get rid of these ads!

History looking for info on this hemi crossram 2x4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi rodder, Feb 20, 2015.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

Just bought this hemi intake, on it's way now, looking for any info someone may have. hemi intake 2x4 2.jpg hemi intake 2x4 3.jpg hemi intake 2x4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Neat!
    No info but I just wanted to say that

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I recently came across similar Edelbrock (X3) style setup that was originally a 6x2 crossram that had been modified to be a 2x4 crossram. The 3x2 flanges had been machined with new carb bases fabricated, welded on and then everything was dressed up to look OEM. A really nice job, looking from underneath through the runners was the only way to really tell. I didn't think any 2x4 crossrams were made for early Hemi's?

4. drool.....cool score! if you don't use it,and don't flip it,that's one for the display case.
    Hope you got it for a song and dance.......Spare us the video of that though!:eek:

41rodderz and Bandit Billy like this.

5. pdq67

pdq67

6. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

was not cheap, more like an arm and 2 legs

7. Something you might use? Can't have enough Hemi's......:D
    Now you just MIGHT have to get another ride to use that on!
    Cool score regaurdless..........!

Deuces likes this.
  8. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

Edel-X3.jpg
    here is a picture to compare with the X-3, look at runners shape, similar hemi intake 2x4 6.jpg

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

I wonder if you could place a finger inside the carb
    base area and feel for welds. If there are welds it would seem to
    indicate a modified X 3. A very nicely done modification
    if that is the case. It could have been welded and then
    metal finished to look like a casting. I have an X 3 but have
    never seen this type before.

10. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

actually this end looks same
    I should receive it next week, it is coming in 3 box, (intake and linkage, carbs and air breathers) that is the first thing I will do, there is a story that comes with this intake, will share once I have a chance to inspect this rare intake. To not influence anybody's info or opinion's before I share It's story.

Attached Files:

11. Sittin on pins and needles :D

Deuces and stealthcruiser like this.
  12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

It's almost like Christmas again. The anticipation is killing me.

Deuces likes this.
  13. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

I can't wait to receive it, it also has 2 long oval air cleaner, looks like Chrysler stock 2x4 filters. have picts but can't post, in the rear of intake it has a indent in one of runner to clear distributor.

14. I saw this intake on EBAY a couple weeks ago. I only wish I could afford it. I hope it runs as good as it looks. Sweet score!

Deuces likes this.
  15. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

got it today, pleased. story I got from seller. he bought it from a guy that had Edelbrock sr old drag boat, had a busted hemi in it and replaced it with a chevy, parted with the hemi in pieces, he had it for over 25 years, like I said (story) would be hard to prove. 100_6219.JPG 100_6210.JPG 100_6218.JPG 100_6208.JPG

Attached Files:

16. Any pics of the air filters?

Oldmics

Deuces likes this.
  17. there is a story that comes with this intake, will share once I have a chance to inspect this rare intake. To not influence anybody's info or opinion's before I share It's story.

That's the story? The big build up, the secrecy ,,,, I'm mean guys are equating their excitement to Christmas morning and pins and needles to hear thatstory.
    Nice piece ! and if it works as well as well as it it looks you'll be happy.

Tr Waters built a similar intake too.
    image.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  18. 69fury

69fury

i vote it's a welded up piece judging by the carb pads looking different than a cast in carb pad. absolutely badass, though! good score! -rick

Deuces likes this.
  19. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

that is 2 carb adapters on it, it is an open plenum.

Deuces likes this.
  20. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

kept story short, there is more to it but not going there. I am not going to say anything that can't be proven or is not true.

21. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

not going to use, not 2 of the same. I have 2 velocity stack ordered 100_6195.JPG 100_6227.JPG 100_6230.JPG

22. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The question remains..... is it a welded up X3 intake?

Deuces likes this.
  23. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

I would say so. someone put a lot of effort into making this intake, will have it on a hemi this spring if I still have it, have a bad habit of selling my nice stuff. I buy then I feel guilty for spending on my toys. sold 4 running hemi's this winter. then I regret, then I buy again. I feel guilty.... the circle of life

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

When Vic Jr was questioned about the one I made, he said he knew of no 2x4 cross ram intakes ever being made at Edelbrock.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

the best way to identify what you have is to take a whole of pictures in all positions including showing the ports and send them to the folks at HOT HEADS HEMI SHOP

Deuces likes this.
  26. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

here is picture with stacks on, the guy I got it from said that he spoke to a gentleman named Roland Leong that knew Vic Edelbrock Sr 100_6237.JPG and had seen his boat with a 392 hemi and a fabricated 2x4 crossram intake. wouldn't mind finding a picture of his boat with the intake. one way or the other I love this intake and going to have it running soon, if it is true would love to preserve the history of it.

kidcampbell71, catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  27. "Hawaiian" funny car driver/pilot Roland Leong?

I spoke with him for a few mins last year at a gasser event, you can probably get ahold of him.

28. If it is from'' Roland",and for real, concider it a true keeper=for sure. If it's just a guy,who spoke to a guy,who know's something about nothing, it's only worth the tale that's been passed on....
    Very nice piece though,but if it has TRUE history that can be verified,and will hold more significance......
    Just sayin'.......

29. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

the guy I got it from still races a nostalgic front engine dragster. if not mistaken said he had aprox. 30 hemi's and parts in collection. next time I am in contact with will ask if I can use his name. the reason I shared this info is if someone comes across info or pictures would be nice. I looked at 1000's of picts of old dragster boats and didn't find anything, back then maybe not so many photo's taken. not like today, every body has a camera. and could have been on for a short amount of time. I know it is only a story I got with the intake but someone made this intake.

30. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

engine is coming along, soon as snow melts will get it out of basement and to the shop to get it running. 100_6284.JPG