Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Chevy customs.....can anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RoadFarmer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to search for past threads and couldn't find anything.

Just looking for ideas. I found a cherry '37 5 window coupe here in my town and I'd like to see what other people have done. I think it would make a great 40's era custom.

appreciate the help.

2. Here's a pic of the car. Hasn't moved for 5 years. Has a later model 6 in it, rebuilt 7 years ago. Not sure what they'll price it at. They said they would think about it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409409214.277417.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409409233.093349.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

richard price likes this.
  3. retromotors

retromotors

My plan would be:
    a) buy
    b) wash
    c) drive
    d) grin ..... a lot!:)

4. retromotors

retromotors

Oh, .... and ditch the c'boy hats.

slammed likes this.

5. He is from TEXAS. Keep the hat!

Neat car.

Ben

6. Torchie

Torchie

Go to this site for some advice and lots of pics.
    http://www.customcarchronicle.com/
    This car would be perfect for a Harry Westergard style custom. Plus a little Tommy the greek type pin striping.
    Also check out the Kustomrama site as well.
    And leave in the 6.
    Torchie.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  7. Thanks for the leads guys! :thumbup

Any clue what this car should be worth? It's had a repaint about 15-20 years ago...not perfect but respectable. Needs tires, shocks and a few little things. And probably needs all the rubber stuff swapped out on the engine and a good tuneup.
    The owners asked me what I thought it was worth and I told then that I honestly had no idea.
    I've done a little asking around and looking online and it's looking like 12k but I wasn't sure.

8. retromotors

retromotors

You got that right .... in a row is the way to go!

9. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

A friend just sold a very clean & straight, 37 Chev 2 door sedan, low miles & complete for $15 K on Ebay. It had a restoration several years ago, it is very solid & no rust anywhere. I looked it over when it was up on his hoist, couldn't find any negative points.

10. slammed

slammed

Second the motion. OP, lower it slightly, rub by hand a BUNCH of Meguiars #7 glaze in it and make the build/big decision's as time goes on.......drive it now!

RoadFarmer likes this.
  11. Anyone have any pics for inspiration?

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

x 2. Change the oil, water and redo the brakes. Check the tyres.

13. slammed

slammed

chopper99 and kiwijeff like this.
  14. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409545258.988036.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409545283.851222.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409545300.700150.jpg

chopper99 and kiwijeff like this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The 1937 Chevrolet Coupe in my opinion is a car that is a Art Deco masterpiece. Any Custom body work simply takes away from it. Some may not have the guts to admit it but that car looks better stock.

Some period engine hop up, play with the stance a little like a rubber rake. No bags or any of that BS and you could have a very nice car.

If it was in a field with a pine growing though the windshield, I could understand some body mods but for this one, I would clean it up and drive.

16. slammed

slammed

1937-chevy-sports-coupe-front-three-quarter.jpg A some what conservative build. By adding skirts and dropping the rear 2" right out of the gate, you may then study the lines and silhouette of the car. If purchased, you are starting w/a near driver & presentable paint you can enjoy (drive it) much sooner.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    kiwijeff likes this.
  17. raymay

raymay

Always loved the looks of the Harley Earl Speedline Styling on the 37 Chevy. Since the 70's I have had several. Coupe, Sedans, Sedan Delivery, Panel Truck and Pickup Truck. I still own and enjoy a Chopped Sedan I did in the 80's and eventually will explore my own updating changes for it.
    Looks like you have a real solid body on that Coupe. Driving it as is would give you time to explore ideas and be creative over time. A simple lowering of the rear and addition of skirts on the Coupe might be a great start.
    Good luck. That car looks great.

18. BubbaC

BubbaC
    from FLA

I know this is an old thread.. But man.. that car is way to nice to hack up.. Clean it and drive it.. I myself wouldn't do anything but bolt on stuff for the stance. Everything i would do would be reversible back to stock.

19. ...I remember seeing this thread earlier; that coupe looks to be a very nice car, ...did the OP ever make a deal?
    ...the style on these coupes is almost too perfect to mess with, but they do make an excellent custom base..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

21. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Yeah, what was the outcome?

22. Still trying to make a deal. It took me 5 years to get them to sell me a beat up old '57 Chevy Pickup they had outside. Last I talked to the owner, they said that I'd be the first one they'd call when it came time to sell it. They weren't sure on a price though, so we'll see. Hopefully it wont be crazy.
    Since when is this site about maintaining cars in a stock fashion? :D I got a bunch of shit for chopping up my '55 too.....I guess to each their own.

kiwijeff and LSGUN like this.
  23. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That thing is cool!

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Here's one from the web, to give some idea.

[​IMG]

I'm glad the possibility of purchase is still there. I love these cars. And ditto on some vintage goodies for the six!
    There are Intake manifolds out there that date back to the '40's! (Thickstun, Tattersfield, et.al.).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  25. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I agree with F-One, '37 Chevy coupes have beautiful lines just the way they are. Adjust stance just a little, find some vintage stovebolt speed equipment and some tasteful lines. I would spent some time checkin' that one at a car show!

26. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Price maybe in the teens but those guys need some shop room!

27. ...those customs are cool but I like 37-8 coupes like this...nah,...just wanted to post my coupe again...
    37 coupe 5-10 012.jpg 37 coupe 5-10 014.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015