Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Buncha fuckin degenerates.

allwilly likes this.
  2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

And, your point is?

You fucking relic of a degenerate.

Tudor likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As Confucious say" Bit dog always be first to holler".

Tudor likes this.
  4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

You probably went to school with him, or did he pull your Ricksha?

OahuEli and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think he must have pulled your chain.

Tudor likes this.
  6. Chuck like people pulling his chain

7. Enough chain pulling Chuck! Made more good progress on the car thanks to Tim helping on Sunday.

First thing - get the rear set up with the 35 spline spool. The gear set was in the Coupe and 4.86:1 with a T-5 on the street was working out well. The gears are broken in nicely now for drag strip duty.

35_spline2.jpg
    35_spline1.jpg

Moving on to the rear axle bracing. The roll cage guy made a back brace that came out nice. The bottoms of the ladders need a bar now. Need to hole saw some holes on these brackets and slide in a pipe.

35_spline4.jpg

axle_brace1.JPG

axle_brace5.JPG

axle_brace7.JPG

axle_brace6.JPG

axle_2.JPG
    Thanks for the help Tim!

Tudor and stealthcruiser like this.
  8. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

He said : "slide in a pipe".

volvobrynk and GAOldsman like this.
  9. sch-1

sch-1

Baby got back! That old Dodge is gaining weight faster than my old lady! Looks good though!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Glad to help knock a few more things off the list. Keep at it man, it all adds up!

Metal went in, but ol' Tony took some out too. Gotta watch them calories!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424101015.659943.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

GAOldsman, enloe and Tudor like this.
  11. Hahaha! Hope she doesn't surf the HAMB too much :D. Wonder if I'm over killing this rear? Its got some bracing inside the housing but not a lot :
    IMG_0236 (Copy).jpg

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Better safe than sorry

13. allwilly

allwilly

Overkill is a good thing...u just find the next weakest link

14. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Killer project.

15. You Wisconsin guys are set on overkill ;).

allwilly likes this.
  16. Ignore.

17. Brace the pumpkin flange front to back. Two small pieces of tubing inside top & 2 small pieces inside bottom spaced apart outside the center stud. Keeps the pumpkin from moving back in forth when you dump the clutch & make the gear changes.., then that 9" will be almost as badass as our 3% more efficient Dana 60. ;)

allwilly, Tudor and enloe like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Does that 3% cover the weight difference

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

In drag strip testing it does...

saltflats likes this.
  20. Paper napkin sketch please? The tubing goes front to back? Or left to right?

21. Great job, Dog_Patch! Following your thread with exitement :)

22. Front to back, inside the housing between the front flange, & rear flange make them fit tight. This also helps any other pumpkin type rear end. That and your axle tube plates.

23. Saltine, if you use the late Dana 60 center, or Stranges version without all the snubber mounting crap on the nose, there isn't much difference, and they have carrier bearing adjusters. Add chromoly tubes, gun drilled axles, lightened spool & ring gear & your right there. A street/strip late Dana 60 with a sure grip, mild steel tubes, & solid axles, is only 60 lbs heavier than a similarly preped 8 3/4. In the same car, on the same day, the 8 3/4 was a few hundredths quicker, but the Dana 60 was half a mph faster. You can order a complete full boogie Dana 60 from Strange with brakes, for the same price as a trick 9" pumpkin cost! Mainly, I was taking another good hearted shot at Pog_Datch. :)

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

Prefer Dana 60's over a 9" all day (personal opinion of course) for 3 reasons.

1. Cost - Dana 60 with spool is far cheaper than the latest trick of the week 9". Seriously - do the math

2. Strength - A stock (ish) 60 set up as Ric describes is crazy strong without all the fancy bracing and trick of the week stuff. The biggest falicy out there is how strong a 9" is in stock form. I've seen too many failures with guys running decent hp through a stock 9". Truth be told a 9" needs the right parts and a lot of corrective bracing to be a decent race unit. Especially if you are shocking them with big tires, a trans brake or clutch.

3. Rear Load - The biggest problem with a 9" is when they break they push everything out of the case - fowards. This tends to take the driveshaft with it. I've seen a 9" let go that took out the driveshaft, transmission housing, flex plate and a chunk of the block.. When a Dana lets go it comes out the back.. Far fewer parts to take with it.

My brother runs Pro-Gear Performance Drivetrains (he has an ultimate set of tools) and he sees guys with new builds shaking their heads when they see the price tag for a 9" that will take the 700 - 800 hp they want to run. My Super Stock friend used a 9" for only 1 reason - adjustability. He carried 3 center sections with him so he can swap ratios quickly. When I built the Scout he was the first guy to recommend the Dana 60

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  25. I'm SO strong, I might even change my name to Dana..maybe in 10 years when I'm 60?
    PS. Thanks Dave, now I have even more Dana 60 propoganda in my nut case!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

If you are really strong you should change your name to Sue :)

27. allwilly

allwilly

Im a huge dana 60 fan....if u put the housing on a diet n use chromoly tubes gun drilled axles n light weight spool n brakes u can get within a few pounds of a 9"... n b stronger too with way less work

28. allwilly

allwilly

U would b amazed how much weight u can cut outta the center without weakening it

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

30. Enloe you guys have to be in the same ice storm we were in ? Been cutting trees and trying to clear a path :eek: supposed to get above freezing one of these days.