Register now to get rid of these ads!

History what happenedto--------

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studebaker46, Feb 12, 2015.

1. silent rick

silent rick

maybe they don't like the hamb anymore. i first noticed a drop in participation from the long time members when the hamb was split into different (traditional) forums. i thought that move had a devisive effect on the membership.
    i think more people gave up after the redesign. maybe they thought the hamb was moving in a different direction, or just lacked the same feel that used to bring them so much enjoyment.
    maybe facebook allows them to continue contributing and staying in touch with a method that remains familiar to them.

Spoggie, bct and Frankie47 like this.
  2. uncle buck

uncle buck

:rolleyes: whats this thing called facebook? Isn't that where you find out what your kids and grandkids are up to like what they are eating and when the are going to the bathroom..........

3. squirrel

squirrel

might be, if that's all your kids do. Mine usually do more interesting stuff.

Malcolm, bobwop and Special Ed like this.
  4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

That is just ignorant....did you live in all the states at the same time? Lots of people rodded Dodges and other Chrysler products....I would rather have a factory 100 hp L-6 than the anemic 60 hp ford v8 offered......

Spoggie, Hnstray and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. sota

sota

I agree that is why I and so many others have join Facebook .

Spoggie likes this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

This is true. People used what they had. If you had the money you could buy a 55 Chevy for $300 but if You didn't you used the Dodge that Uncle George abandoned back behind the barn.

That said, I have absolutely no interest in brand spanking new "33 Fords". I'd rather see the Desoto you were able to find on the cheap.

Frankie47 likes this.
  7. bct

bct

I'm trying to put in full 10 years but with few quality builds to follow and so many post whores I find it difficult

8. bct

bct

Also I think the more talented people have moved to instagram

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Megan works for Auctions America, which is associated with R-M Auctions. just to clarify

10. blazedogs

blazedogs

I'm rather new with the HAMB Websight .I'm presently building a Model A and I can't began to tell you how much good information ,tips and good vendors I've gotten.I enjoy it and use it mostly for the tech info. Yes, there a a few that are rude, the-know-it-alls,foul language etc. Being involved with a few other Websights there is the same thing.Maybe it's just a sign of the times. I can drive 4 blocks from my house and experience rudeness from people; sad but true. I enjoy this websight and will continue using it Gene.

11. Yes, some people never read, just post. It shows.
    Instead of doing some of their own research,
    they want everything to be spoon fed.

slammed likes this.
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Some that are missed are the foul mouthed, rude know it all's that did know it all.

13. Clark

Clark

Wvenfield. ....you don't like the guys negative comment about out of the norm cars , but you're just as much of a problem complaining about the reproduction bodies...no different than he is. There should be room for everybody. I like all cars especially when the builder shows creativity. I'm not a fan of muscle cars (off topi and not welcome here) but when the builder shows some creativity, I can appreciate it.
    For years I was a hamb junkie. The hamb was full of people that would go against the grain. Now you have to stay inside the box and there are way too many ideas of what the box should be.
    Clark

lurker mick, seadog and Tony like this.
  14. wvenfield

wvenfield

This isn't a site for everybody. I didn't say anything about people complaining about out of the norm cars.

I didn't have a problem with the builder. He has to make a living and if he can get six figures for putting together a brand new car, good for him.

I just don't understand the car even being in the show. It's like the guy that brings his brand new Camaro to a car show.

15. BRENT

BRENT

Amen! Every loser needs a fucking hero "wink wink"

16. henryj429

henryj429

I miss the best days of the HAMB classifieds a few years back when there was always tons of good stuff for sale - a buyers market and sellers market at the same time. A lot of real car guys helping others make their projects happen.

I have backed into joining a couple buy/sell groups on FB. Those things frustrate the hell out of me. They are full of wanna-be car guys kicking tires and posting worthless comments because they have nothing better to do.

17. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

prewarcars4me, slammed and blowby like this.
  18. chubbie

chubbie

My friends list on the HAMB has only 3 active members..gone because their post were deleted, or band. so i broke my survival rule, and posted on a "drama thread"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. sota

sota

Well said !

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

When Ryan gave us all the heads up about the change, I believe he said something to the effect that he was willing to take the hit/let the chips fall where they may........The first change was the new multi-forum.
    The regular board, all mixed
    Trad customs
    look like trad customs
    trad hot rods
    look like trad hot rods
    Then the site population had a small fluctuation, some couldn't figure out where to post, and others thought their ride was trad even thought it had bags or a engine with a computer, etc.
    Then....I don't know when, we went to the present system.....and some liked it, some posters turned into lurkers, and some just left the building.
    All I know is this is a different Hamb that has evolved back into what it was envisioned when it started......I would say it is at least 75% traditional now and the other 25% is trying...face it bags aren't going away until this scrape period is done with, fake patina and rust will probably never go away, and there really aren't that many glass cars on here to begin with.
    So all in all, I would say we have it pretty good on here and it will only get better with time.

21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Oh and the lack of super talented builds....those guys don't grow on trees you know, they have of work schedules and deadlines that probably would kill you or me...lol.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have three forum boards that I frequent counting this one. I'm on FB, but seldom post anything other than maybe comment on somebody else's post. I have a smartphone, it's useful in my job as a trucker, but I never go to FB on it, and very seldom go here on it either as it overloads it. I am friends on FB with some guys from the other boards, but most of my conversations are done on the forums. I don't post a lot about my car here because there are still some things that aren't traditional enough for the purists, but it's getting there.

One thing I have noticed, especially since the change to the new format, is a lot of the smart asses are gone. Before, one wrong sentence or word brought them out like a pack of wolves to devour your ass, now, it's only a few that only have smart ass remarks to make. Everybody does it from time to time, usually in a joking matter, but there were some that lived to crawl some newbee's ass just because they said something they didn't agree with. I don't miss them at all!

I've only been here since 2011, so I'm still a newcomer in the big picture. I come to learn and relive a past that I am to young to remember. The old timers that lived that era are quickly leaving us, we need to soak up as much of that knowledge as quick as we can before it's lost to history.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well here I am, and yes, I post most often on FB. It's not that I don't love all my buds here but I just don't have the extra time like I did in the past to post so often. As you can imagine those adventure threads took ALOT of time to not only create but to monitor as well. A person can't just do a post like that and not come back to it and answer peeps questions and respond to comments. I really truly loved doing them and knew those posts were greatly appreciated. From those threads I meet some of my best friends to this day. Friends that I keep in touch with easier now via text messaging and FB.

When I started posting adventure threads in 2003 virtually no one was creating threads like those or organizing meet & greets at that different events. Then slowly others started to which was GREAT but really how many GNRS or LSRU or HCPU event coverage does the site need? like I mentioned they took alot of time to do and after awhile I wasn't able to commit so much time to the massive event coverage. I think it was almost 10 years of in depth show coverages. Its time for others to share their passion and commit their time and energy.

One of the reasons I really enjoy FB is I feel comfortable just posting a handful of photos, a paragraph or two of the event and click. Very quick, very simple and of course very easy to monitor and answer questions and comments. If it's a car event that I've posted photos regarding, not only can my car friends view them but my family and other friends can see them as well AND I get to see personal photos regarding car friend's family, other life events, etc. I've gotten closer to lot of HAMB members because of this.

FB makes it very easy to stay in touch with the folks that mean the most in my life. Whether they are my family, girlfriends or car friends their news feeds show up for me to read or scroll thru and skip.

With all that being said I'm currently working for Autoweek Magazine. I'm in advertising sales. It keeps me very busy during the day. Because of this I'm not surfing the message forums like I use to nor do I do FB on company time unless it's work related. I see Megan every so often. She got married last Oct and is very busy with work as well. We're going to meet up next month at the Amelia Island Concousr event.

I do miss the way it use to be, how close everyone was and wish I had more time to spend not only here on the HAMB but for lots of other things I really enjoy doing. Time is my most valued asset and I'm trying to spread it out more evenly in my world.

ka-zoo, dmac620, pitman and 5 others like this.
  24. studebaker46

studebaker46

hot rod lady cruiser I was the one who started this post and by the way we have never met,i just enjogood toyed you and some others post and missed sharing the adventures it was never intended to turn in to a FB rant,but anyway good to hear from you drop in from time to time just to say hi tom

slammed likes this.
  25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

He's still here under another user name :)

stealthcruiser likes this.
  26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Denise...The Strange Days crew really misses you and your posts. But we understand.... Love ya!

27. Sad I picked and pruned peaches and trees down that way when I was a kid. I spent a month one spring cutting black leaf rot out of peach trees. It is a shame about the vineyards, I understand progress but vineyards means Calif and while I like the state, Oregon was always Oregon and not California north.

28. slammed

slammed

Pruning Orchards? I miss the Cadillac build of Ian's. Plowboys latest would be a welcome sight too.

wvenfield likes this.
  29. slammed

slammed

30. papastoyss

papastoyss

Miss you gal! How about Hot Rod Reunion this year?