Register now to get rid of these ads!

History what happenedto--------

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studebaker46, Feb 12, 2015.

1. thanks, i must be one of bobs "six"

2. Something fundamentally wrong with FB, but I can't put my finger on it. Just don't like people having too much access to ME. I have an indestructible flip phone, most people who text me know there is a 90% chance they will never get an answer, but it doesn't stop them. Thankful that my work email changed so that ends relatives asking me to join FB or whatever else they're into.

3. daddylama

daddylama

the HAMB has changed and grown tremendously in the dozen or so years I've been a member.

As my post count shows, I'm not a huge poster... less so as the years went on. a mix of "less community and more members" that I didn't "know"... along with life in general. I've moved states, married, had 5 kids, etc.

Facebook isn't for me. I'm a member, occasionally use it, though that's rare. mostly to keep in touch with a few family members. my wife is a Facebook power user... hell, runs half her business with it.

even with all the changes here on the all mighty HAMB, one thing stands strong: preaching the gospel of traditional rods & customs. no BS. no politics. no fluff. I'm glad to see and be part of that.

VIVA LA HAMB!

4. I don't think anyone I ignore has sent me a PM. It will tell me that there are posts in a thread from ignored users and give me an option to look at them. If I'm on here and not logged in, I see everyone's posts. I have 4 ignored people and 1 of them is now banned. I'm probably ignored by a few here as well.

5. I am still here Jest lurking & trying to re gain my my health still taking road trips looking for vintage tin

bobss396 likes this.
  6. trollst

trollst

Well, I'm sixty, and hanging on to the old ways with a death grip. Got a flip phone, do not text at all, only buy shit I can hold or touch, live in an area with no cell service and love it, do not have a router or wi fi on my computer, much to the dismay of my kids. When you visit me and the boss, you come to see us, not to fb everyone you know, or text the person beside you. I use the hamb to give and receive expert knowledge, the whole net thing is nothing more than a library for me, not a way of life. I too miss some noteable folk here, they have interesting views, there are some I hope never leave this site, I truly enjoy the hamb and the fact you can get info here you can't get anywhere else.

bobss396 likes this.
  7. Tony

Tony

I had a FB account for about 3 months about 5 years ago...
    Took me that long to realize it was nothing i wanted to be a part of so i deleted my account and never suffered a second from doing it.
    I come here to share and learn, the Jockey Journal and a couple other car/bike sites for the same reasons.
    I'm strange i guess, i've never had an interest to get in contact with people from my past and the foolish updates people posted wasted too much of my brain matter. Lol

At least if i take time to come on here i'm fairly certain the thing's i'll be reading will be of similar interest of mine, and not some random update about someones cat.........

I'll admit, i do miss how the HAMB was years ago though, and the folk's that no longer post that once did often, but i also miss white shift balls and carb's coming from the factory....
    I'm just lame i'll admit it .....got my first "smart phone " last year and still write checks to pay bills..
    Oh well.
    Tony

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Malcolm and guthriesmith like this.
  8. I think what's fundamentally wrong with FB is that despite their inflated worth, they provide no tangible product, they don't manufacture anything, probably don't really employ that many people and they don't supply an essential service that most of their users need.

In effect, they're "selling" the people that are using their "free" service. Both ingenious and devious at the same time. eh? o_O

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Couldn't agree more Tony!

10. I'm guessing part of what they are selling, is eyeballs for paid advertising.
    Same as the mainstream car magazines now.

But if you are using Firefox, get Adblock plus,
    a free plug in that blocks most ads, including on Facebook.

11. like most said...FB for family....they let me know what's going on.....if they want to know what's going on with me.....they better get on the HAMB or one of my other car boards.....I usually look 24hrs back to see if any of youse guys slammed me....or what's going on.....not so with FB...or those other sites....

12. squirrel

squirrel

he's been posting some camping pictures on FB :rolleyes:

13. Muttley

Muttley

I signed up for FB a few years ago just to get in touch with an old friend who had moved to Michigan and I had lost contact with. Now that I have his phone number I have no use for it but i still get updates from a few other people that think I give a shit about their cat or what they had for lunch. [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As Jim stated there's a big world out there but not for me. Old habits die hard. Just not interested in telling everyone I went there, did this, saw this etc etc. Others I know have embraced it however I'm too busy doing other things and don't care if anyone else wants to talk about their exploits etc.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

who the hell is poverty flats?

16. I dont "get" this Farcebook thing- who cares if I "like " a photo of your stupid cat?
    If I want the CIA to know what I (or anyone else) had for breakfast, I will call them myself.
    I think the whole thing stinks of a sinister plot, but then again I love a good conspiracy theory.
    I'm going to put my foil hat back on now.

TagMan likes this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hate those new social sites. Used facebook just to advertise our business. Haven't added to it for 3 years.
    A lot of people who were very active here had jobs that allowed internet access. That was before the recession. The Recession has also effected the hamb.
    Went to a 1st and 2nd grade basketball game last Saturday to watch my grandson play. Many families there.
    During the game I looked into four corners. There sat 4 groups of 5 or so kids playing video games and texting.
    Damn machines are no more than an excuse not to babysit there children.

TagMan likes this.
  18. slammed

slammed

Add Fat Hack & Nads to the MIA list. How did Faceplant become the OT focal point again?

bobwop likes this.
  19. Yeah, I don't understand how they and twatter make any money. I see it collapsing in the not too distant future. It seems to be built on sand.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Couldn't let that one pass with out saying THANKS HARV! It's fun to be associated with something that you are as passionate about as I am T-Buckets!

117harv likes this.
  21. 61TBird

61TBird

I guess over 7k employees is not that many...
    You can control who can view your posts on fb and what you see from others.
    As for how I view fb, I run firefox with adblock and donottrackme which means I have a "cleaner" version without ads.
    I can always "unfriend","unfollow","hide all posts from" or "block" if all I see are cat pics, political posts or conspiracy theory stuff...

To answer the op's question, I have become friends with a few that are m.i.a. on the h.a.m.b. and enjoy their posts on fb.
    It's a big world out there off the h.a.m.b. and some of it is not "h.a.m.b. friendly"

Malcolm, Special Ed and slammed like this.
  22. You guys realize that Facebook has all kinds of groups don't ya ? I skim through the news feed but spend most of my time in groups like gassers, abandoned projects, hot rod swap, drag cars and parts for sale, 41-46 chevy trucks, bikers on shovels etc. Etc. Etc.

RICH B and slammed like this.
  23. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

No face book here , only the H.A.M.B.

24. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Me too........And Butt Reynolds.

slammed likes this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are Right! I was there too and there were NO International trucks hotrodded, no Dodge trucks and no 48-52 Dodge cars either. The young guys here are trying to rewrite history to be anything they want it to be.

26. Just for the record, I agree with you. Except the young guys bit because some of them aren't young.

3wLarry likes this.
  27. I think I saw Megan on Mecum auto auction recently.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Clark

Clark

The negativity like above is why lot of people strayed away from the hamb. There is a lot of history being rewritten. Look at the Doane Spencer car....it didn't look like that back in the day....but it's historic. No I wasn't there but why was there speed equipment made for those vehicles? I know for a fact my father's first hot rod was a 49 Plymouth with 57 headlights, may not have been the coolest..but it was done.

I've been posting more on instagram lately....less "know it alls"
    Clark

Malcolm, bct, daddylama and 1 other person like this.