Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 50 years of "Playing ON the Freeway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Highwayman_009.jpg rescue pic1.jpg wrecked 010.jpg wrecked 025.jpg 4rescuefronthouse.jpg some outSTANDIN news here

10am last thursday, I was invited to be on the Mike Slater radio show AM 760 here in San Diego to tell Beulah's story.

During the on air show, a fella called the station to say *HE* was going to ressurrect Beulah FOR me! and left his contact info

He was HERE this mornin 10am w his mechanic to inspect her remains annnnd -- as soon as I git her unloaded of all her gear, he's sending a rollback tow to collect her and transport her to his business where he estimates it will take 6-7 months to "raise her from the dead" -- repair --rehibilitate - -update --renovate and make her like NEW agin!

I'm overjoyed!!!!!!!!!!!! Highwayman_009.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    AHotRod, ryan-o, deto and 4 others like this.
  2. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Fantastic news Highwayman. Let us know what you might need in tbe way of parts. My stash is thin and it's '55 stuff, but you never know.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  3. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

I guess I'll ask. What happened?

4. That's awesome, but more than well deserved.
    You do great work, and its great that someone is recognizing it by fixing Beulah.

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Great news. Good things come to good people.

7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

THX 55Brodie they're gonna take her apart to the frame & straightn it -- she IS 55 at heart --[ 55 County Sedan 4 dr wagon ] She's *also* Mercury, Volkswagon, Chrysler, Dodge, Buick, MB, & several other makes -- dependin on which part yer lookin at ;)

56 [from the windshield forward ] Crown Victoria front sheet metal etc

Steering and frame IS 55 and the column shifter linkage was smushed by the engine's left exhaust manifold when the driveline [ engine - trans ] was knocked back out of it's brand new mounts by the double impact :( won't know if its repairable untill disassembled

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great news Thomas. Hope he comes through for you.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Absolutely fantastic news , Thomas ! I'm glad to hear it. For what you do for people on a daily basis , it is well deserved. You are a hero to many , now reap a bit of the reward by taking a bit of charity yourself. More people should be like you , my friend.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm confused. The last I recall, your car was being repaired via labor, parts (front clip, etc.) and cash donated by HAMBers.
    What happened to that project?

11. Well that is pretty cool, but I don't get the 6-7 months to replace the clip. maybe 6-7 weeks if he is slow.

Anyway pretty cool about the radio deal and someone willing to rescue the rescue vehicle. :cool:

12. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

The "devil" winds are blowin here --- HARD!

Everything is "blowin in the wind"

Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I unload Beulah's tool box, parts storage compartments, rescue and survival gear & supplies

boxes and boxes

It's hard to explain how-why I feel SO strongly!

46 years of service to others -- in the mountains, desert, along the coast, even across the country once --

http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonli…/

the memories and history associated with Beulah are tugging at my emotions --
    thousands and thousands of rescues at accident scenes, breakdowns, and simple "situations"

In my life, many people have helped *me* and many MORE have helped me help others.

NOW, someone is enabling me to realize my dream! That Beulah be reincarnated --https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News/...67384.100450643330760/818533921522425/?type=1

-- in time for me to be able to "ride" w her aGIN, "While I'm Here" and able to -- and *THAT* keeps me goin -- thru my tears - my profound hope, is that my Shela will *still* be here TOO, as well, to enjoy the wind in her face as we cruise the trouble spots round these parts

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

>chuckle< thx porknbeaner, I understand -- *if* it was *just* replacin the front clip - hell, *that* I could still do myself :) i did it originally back in the late 60s -- it's all the frame damage [ front & rear,] and collateral damage -- steering column, shifter, entire driveline knocked back several inches, that knocked the wind outta *my* sails --

last time Beulah was "renewed" was 1984 - she was beautifull till 1994, when she was HIT, from the rear in Coronado - just havin come over the bridge and I was stopped when a fella made a driving error and ploughed into my RR quarter -- after that, I sorta gave up on keepin her "pretty" and just made shure she was mechanically sound to operate -- unTILL that fatefull day 08/10/11 @ 2pm in the afternoon, when she was "KIA": by the "SID" http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...an-diego-highwaymans-rig-totaled-in-accident/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    UnIOnViLLEHauNT likes this.
  14. Outstanding!!!

I don't want to be "that guy"... have you visited his shop?

Good for you and Shela

15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Interesting, isn't it.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

C'mon guys ... Seriously ?

17. ^^^ I think you guys are thinking of the replacement car being made road worthy. Not the original one.

18. That video says more in five minutes than most do in an hour.

But the real treat for me was hearing the Highwayman's voice for the first time. :cool:

19. JimSibley

JimSibley

Shoot, I remember seeing the highwayman helping
    People all over sandiego area when I
    Lives there, hell, he might have helped me a time or 2, my memories shot from all of the years of paint fumes.it's awesome that it will see the road again.

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1262.JPG emptyin her out ---- airin up the tires -- settin her down on em -- preparin her fer movin out Monday

"people and machines - -unused -- rust" :(

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1230.JPG all of her gear -- takes up a lotta room -- lotta weight -- gotta organize, pack it and stack it for the next 6-7 months -- not gonna be shootin any pool any time soon ;)

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

23. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

good luck, glad its finally going to be repaired. you deserve it!

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  25. Gomer) Nope im not a mechanic. My cousin goober could fix it. HE is real smart he put a car engine in his boat. Customer Well get him down here. Goober) Cant he is gone. Customer) where is he? Goober) He is at the lake with his boat!

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

an older story here - from back in 2011-- a coupla months after Beulah was "killed" -- I kept findin [ and it *still* happens ] that I didn't *have* things I needed in the Merc cause I was used to *havin* them to hand from Beulah's stock of 40+ years experience

Just t-day I stopped to help a mom, her daughter, and baby granddaughter w their broken-down small motorhome -- turns out they're livin in -- goin from place to place nightly

battery had been low on water and exploded in traffic on the I-8 EB JWO 70th -- MH was stopped on the *narrow* RS stickin out inta the offramp lane on a slight curve -- oncomin traffic couldn't SEE it till they were ONit -- no hazards since battery blew!

*I* missed seein it myself initally, and hadta do a "goaround" to git backta help em --

didn't have what I needed with me to gittum under way, so headed back to the ranch to collect the necessary items from Beulah's stores -- meanwhile -- I called 911 and asked that a FSP tow GIT there pronto to give em a courtesy tow outta danger --

I arrived back on scene bout 20 min later [ still there ] and began to effect tempory repairs to git them "outta Dodge!"

JUST as I got it to fire up w my aux battery installed and my aux portable ignition lit up -- CHP motor arrived w a FSP tow followin him in -- we're already runnin, so the motor officer took the lead and we all launched inta the rush traffic w the "lit" tow bringin up the rear

this ain't the end o this story but i jist got called to dinner -- "I'LL BE BACK"

well now, I'mmmm BAAAACK!

we got off the freeway, and proceded to Denny's parkin lot where I looked over the MH tryin to find the ballast resistor I suspected of failin -- w my battery init the engin would kick over jist fine but die right off when key turned to run position -- [ that's symtomatic of a failed resistor but also kin happen w a damaged electronic ignition module ]

couldn't find a resistor anywhere [ followin all the danglin wire harness ] but vehicle runs ok on my porta ignition

her battery is exploded [ literally ]

soo -- on observatin & talkin w em bout their "situation" I decided to leave my new battery in their vehicle -- and I hooked up the porta ignition semi permantly and showed the gal howta operate it -- ran the on-off rocker switch thru the doghouse
    [ engin cover ] and draped it over the steering colomn

anyways

haven't had need ofit in a coupla years and these folk needed it moren I do --

told her, if she gits "situated" better I'd liketa havem back -- but theyr' her's no worries

littl gal teared up when I told er -- I mighta have jist a mite as well -- but *I'm* comin home to my "ranch" whilst *they* look every nite for a place to park where they won't git rousted -- or worse Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:39 pm

27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

MOVING day for Beulah!

tow is on the way --

28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1292.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1319.JPG She's -- going -- going --- going ---- GONE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.