Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. a bit of striping might be in order someday... would probably look decent, I want to figure out what actual colour that silver is... original builder said he painted it silver beecause he "liked that colour" but didn't recall the actual colour... late 50's seemed to have silver showing up on different models, kinda looks like the silver on some of the corvettes... be fun to know... I wonder if one of those paint readers could determine or not.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. and here is the better video of the 1st fire up with rebuilt transmission & motor that is still running all equipment that was on it when found, minus new water pumps & rebuilt fuel pump - tune up will happen this weekend.

3. Torchie

Torchie

A paint reader will give you a code but it may be something more modern as well. Most of the computer systems that they run off of seem to go to the nearest exsisting code for a match.. The one that my shop uses will tell you how close of a match it is to your color. As in 95%-98% ect.
    Do you know if it is Lacquer or Enamel? Don't know about above the border but here in Michigan Lacquer has been outlawed. Paint store can't sell it and Some paint companies won't even ship it here if you buy it on line.
    Good to see all your progress.
    May have to haul my ass up to Iggy this year just to see you guys.
    Torchie

4. Well that's interesting about the paint reader, more just curiosity, no plans on repainting, but I can't help myself but want to figure out every detail :)
    The paint is lacquer, I'm assuming it wasn't a custom mix, the original builder probably
    just liked the colour of a newer car in the late 50's / early 60's and had the car painted the same.. I will have to pay attention to older cars this summer for possibilty's & ask the original builer again to see if he can recall once he's back from his winter break.
    Hope you make it to Iggy, be nice to say hi !

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. glrbird

glrbird

is there an older automotive paint supply close, that could be a place that would have books of colors.

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. Very cool!

What's the skinny on the needle bearing u-joint?
    6x10 spline?

7. Thanks - Apparently it's the style that was used on the V12 Lincolin's, got it from Bob Drake, looked like a better option than the pin & bushing style, which I'm sure works fine, but I didn't want to be back in that spot for a long, long time, same size spline as normal type, just needle bearing & a bit more beefy construction.

8. THANKS! That's good info.

9. Progress today, got the radiator installed, filled engine with coolant, headlights wired & working and rebuilt the carb.

Before:
    20150207_141330.jpg

During:
    20150207_142903.jpg

And After:

20150207_184100.jpg

Looks & works much better :)

20150207_192157.jpg

Tomorrow make transmission cover & start working on brakes etc...

Woogeroo and volvobrynk like this.
  10. YJ4000

YJ4000

You are moving right along. That carb looks great. I've been reading from the beginning just don't post much. I love stories like this. Keep up the super work.

Ryan.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  11. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Good Progress Dennis! Looks like were doing the same things. But my motor needed a total rebuild. Should be ready Monday or Tuesday. My trans should be done in a week or so. apart.jpg

12. Thanks very much, good to hear that you enjoy - I'm always wondering if I'm boring people to death with some of my updates :)

Good Stuff I was wondering how yours was coming along ! Rebuilt Transmission & Engine ! Nice!!
    I'm hoping my motor will run well enough for a couple years, Everything else has been keeping me busy enough ! (and my bank account busy enough) ha ha ya seems both of our cars needed similiar attention !

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Got a transmission "inspection" cover fabbed up & installed over the weekend, nothin to fancy but better than insulation & carpet !

Template:
    20150208_104811.jpg

Metal cut out & I ran my cheapie flange tool around the edges...

20150208_111707.jpg

Painted with rattle can & installed.

20150208_145956.jpg

Notice brake pedal is now "up"... got the master cylinder installed as well, brake line install happening this coming weekend...

WC145, carothersbs, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  14. Torchie

Torchie

Nice job on the trans cover. It fits the bill perfectly.
    Torchie.

carothersbs and Denns1989 like this.
  15. Video of Snewp's after carb rebuild, audio is in & out because my monkey hands must keep blocking the mic on my cell... also figured out the "solenoid" issue I mention in the video, toggle switch for turning over is flaky have ordered a replacement..Nice to be at the point I can start the car by reaching in thru the window & flick the switch !

16. slammed

slammed

Give this a try. It shall bring back a tremendous shine. Takes time: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. greaser

greaser

Keep up the great work! You're really crossing all those little items off the list!
    You'll be ready to drive that little honey long before all the snow is gone. AWESOME!

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. Well after much bantering from 2 of my closest friends, I gave in to one noticable change, and I admit, it was a change I considered since the first time I seen the car (really the only change I would consider), also a reversable change if I ever desire, but I have to admit, they look "right" & I think I made a good choice...

20150215_124925.jpg

20150215_112800.jpg

20150215_125706.jpg

also got the brake lines plumbed & brakes bled & adjusted today... It was a good day !

19. Man I'm glad you made that change!
    Look at it this way:
    You are doing what the original guy
    would have if he had the opportuhity.
    Don't ever regret it!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  20. I still needed to change the power valve in the carb (the rebuild kit I had only had the "aftermarket style" so I still had the 50 year old one in there & the plug wires needed changing (some barely snap on the plugs), but seeing I did have functional brakes & it was a balmy 5 degrees F yesterday afternoon (better than the -22 F it was in the morning..) I decided to venture outside, it was loading up on fuel something horrible - but it was still a good time, couldn't wipe the smile off my face :)

I didn't notice until last weekend but it appears the overflow line is below the sealing area for the rad cap, so that's why they had a 13lb cap on the rad...it's a mute point - still works as a non pressurized system, and I have it to full so it's marking it's territory out the overflow line still.

WC145, Woogeroo, Pockets580 and 5 others like this.
  21. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First drive, that is cool. Congrats!

22. Thought I would share a couple pictures of the brake line install from this past weekend, nothing fancy but should be solid & reliable, decided to go with the pricey but easy to work with copper/nickel brake line tubing, I had heard good things & was impressed myself, 1st time using this stuff - Don't worry, that isn't 1/4" copper tubing from the hardware store in the pictures !

20150216_141744.jpg 20150216_141758.jpg 20150216_141807.jpg 20150216_141833.jpg

I have a request for assistance with my coolant "overflow" issue over at the FordBarn, got some things to check out the next time I'm in the shop with Snewpee, aside from that the next big job is suspension bushings, then make arrangements to have exhaust installed...

23. YJ4000

YJ4000

Good job. Its nice to see your staying focused. Spring is right around the corner.

Ryan.

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. It sure is ! and that's why I was happy to do this "Running Light Check" this past weekend, starting to get hopeful when it starts to feel like a working car !

& brake lights work as well but I was solo, no assistant to activate when I shot this :)

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Slopok

Slopok

If you want to continue the acorn theme on your motor mount bolts you can get a couple of the chrome lug nut covers that truckers use on the big rigs at a truck stop that sells those type of accessories.

Denns1989 likes this.
  26. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Perfect. Just what a car like Snoopy deserves. You are a great caretaker.

It was -14F here on Sunday. Jealous? Roasty-toasty.:p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Denns1989 and Tony Martino like this.
  27. I'm Back...

Allright, things are looking up.
    I drilled a small vent hole in each thermostat & filled the block before installing the thermostats (I know redundant, but I thought I might as well), then just topped it off to cover the top of the cores, fired it up & no more boil over !! Seems it was one heck of an air lock.
    Also during my investigation I discovered my rad is out of a Henry J ! with extra ports added to fit the flathead, 4 lb cap and so far so good !

Ohh yes also did a compression test after it was warmed up & with throttle wide open during compression test.

#1 Cyl - 98
    #2 Cyl - 102
    #3 Cyl - 105
    #4 Cyl - 105
    #5 Cyl - 105
    #6 Cyl - 108
    #7 Cyl - 110
    #8 Cyl - 100

Considering the car wasn't ran since 1970, was lightly siezed when I got it last summer & I have had it running only a few times for a few minutes at a time, I think those are some decent numbers the worst (98) is still in range of the best (110) I believe, at least close :)

It was sunny so I had to get a couple sunshine shots as well :)

20150228_110036.jpg 20150228_110107.jpg

Onto the next job on the list....

WC145, Woogeroo, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  28. those numbers will probably get closer after running it more.
    nice job, keep up the good work.

29. YJ4000

YJ4000

Nice fix on the boil over problem. The sunny pictures look great.

Ryan.

30. BTW, The car looks sooooo much better with the headders inside the frame!!!

Weezy1930, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.