Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Let's see Model A's lowered without dropped axles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod 50, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

This is a killer car I love it
    And I will do this. I'm going for basically a high school war era build. Some kid that built this in the early 40's. I like the t spring and reversed eye from spring. That may be the way to go.

Thanks again guys

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Yes I'll find the link for you

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. trucker1

trucker1

Check Speedway catalog for a reversed eye spring that's made flatter to start with that's the right length from Posies, then round and taper the ends. Good price, service, and product.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thank you, liked it then, like it now. But lost track at some point.

Looking forward to link!!

5. CTAV8

CTAV8

001.JPG
    Dropped axle and mechanical brakes. It's really not that difficult to do. You can make perch extensions as we did or use '32 perches and axle ($$$$). Also another book that's very useful is Mike Bishop-Vern Tardell "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod."

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      394.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      515.2 KB
      Views:
    cederholm and Entlebucher like this.
  6. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Man this threads taking off. Thanks for all the info and great cars guys. Keep em coming.

7. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome car. What drums are those?

8. CTAV8

CTAV8

They are '35 mechanicals, 12" diameter with 1.75" shoes, just like later juice brakes.

9. "Most cars prior to WWII (1941 for us here in the States) used the 32-6 axle, 32-4 perches, reverse eye springs, and mechanical brakes. Dropped axles and juice brakes started showing up (together) just prior to the war. Honestly don't think I've ever seen a period photo of a "dropped axle" AND mechanical brakes..."

If you check out the Don Ferrara collection on the AHRF site there is a photo of his roadster with a dropped axle and mechanical brakes. Photo number 96. I dont know how to copy the photo and add it here.

10. vwdave30

vwdave30

Speedway crossmember and spring

Attached Files:

11. CTAV8

CTAV8

[QUOTE="62pan, post: 10839932,
    Honestly don't think I've ever seen a period photo of a "dropped axle" AND mechanical brakes..."

If you check out the Don Ferrara collection on the AHRF site there is a photo of his roadster with a dropped axle and mechanical brakes. Photo number 96. I dont know how to copy the photo and add it here.[/QUOTE]

Good sleuthing, 62pan. I can't see the axle too good on my iPhone but the perches look like '32-'34. That's a very nice way to do it but you have to drop the axle exactly the right amount. We matched perch extensions to an already dropped axle...... much easier to marry together.

12. Complete 32 front end with a reversed eye A spring. Rear spring is A with 7 leaves.
    1053.jpg

13. I believe this is the pic you're referring to;
    [​IMG]

If memory serves, that picture was taken between 1945 and 1946, after Don upgraded to a V8. I've seen a couple others from the same time period (1945-48) with mechanicals and dropped axles; I meant to say that I don't recall ever seeing a picture of a car with a dropped axle & mechanicals before the war.

volvobrynk and jmiller1918 like this.
  14. Here's another; Bob Wenz - 1946
    Bob Wenz 1946 2.jpg

volvobrynk and jmiller1918 like this.
  15. swingkingvintage

swingkingvintage

Rear shot of car, heated spring until it touched the rear! If I were to do again I would take a few leaves out of spring. It took me some time to figure out how to post some more photos on here, I'm a car guy not so much a computer guy! oldtime3.JPG

16. Thanks Gary that is the photo I was talking about. I did a lot of research before starting my own prewar project so I knew drop axles and mechanical brakes were used together. I do believe you are correct in saying most are used around 1946 and not before WWII. Its hard to find a car with mechanical brakes after 1946.

volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  17. earlymopar

earlymopar

What a gorgeous roadster Pat!

18. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Here's my 1928 Roadster which has a 8 leaf Model T rear spring and a reversed eye front spring.
    Also a picture of my former 1929 tudor that has the same combo but shows the results on a car with fenders. Both use 16 x 7.50 and 16 by 6.00 tires.

Attached Files:

Dannerr, Outback, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  19. :) You know we're "brothers from other mothers" (or whatever the kids say), right? I did the same thing, and aside from the hand-me-down jalopy, I agree 100%. It's amazing how slow some technology (the V8) was to be adopted, while others ("aircraft shocks" & juice brakes) came on pretty quickly.

I think the strangest combo I've ever seen is this 1947 photo from Don Montgomery's Old Hot Rods Scrapbook - dropped axle, mechanicals, and "aircraft" shocks. Bizarre!
    roadsterpu1023.jpg

Hitchhiker, BigO, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

21. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Tha
    Thanks!!

22. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Posies reversed eye springs front and rear with 1 or 2 springs removed from each (cant remember) and it ended up lowering it 3".
    I have a 36 axel that will be going into it as well, not sure yet how I am going to get the rear down another 2" to match the front axel.

Outback and CTAV8 like this.
  23. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

24. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

So if I was to have a model a axle dropped so that I could use 32-34 perches without extensions and have everything line up what amount of drop would I be shooting for.

Outback likes this.
  25. kiwikid

kiwikid

just starting a project like this myself , in regards to removing leaves from the rear spring how man did you remove, which ones , ( the top ones ?) and how much did it lower the rear ...any problems thanks in advance

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Model A, drop axle with mechanical brakes

Attached Files:

Outback, tony starr and CTAV8 like this.
  27. tony starr

tony starr

Cold Canuck, 63savoy, BigO and 7 others like this.
  28. ratreo

ratreo

29. ratreo

ratreo

This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome car. What drums are those?

I believe that the vented brake drums are referred to as "Mountain Brakes". They had the openings so as to help cool the drums when you were dealing with a lot of elevation changes. I have a set that I use to mock up my frames so they'll roll around prior to adding backing plates and brakes.

30. banjorear

banjorear

'32 axle with reversed eye spring. A leaf or two was removed. A lot of the work was done by our own Zach Suhr!

Attached Files:

Outback, jmiller1918 and Entlebucher like this.