Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1924 Ford Model T Roadster Project - #ClaytonsHotRods #TROG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ian_seven, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ian_seven

ian_seven

My annual January trip to Santa Cruz to work on my T went an extra week, so we got a bunch done. Here's some photos, but if you'd like to read a little more about what we got done, or see what we did before this trip, you can check in the archive section of my blog:

http://nwrodderblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/my-1924-ford-model-t-roadster-build.html

It's gettin' pretty close to done, so I'd bet we'll have no trouble getting it to The Race of Gentlemen in October...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. alchemy

alchemy

Gonna borrow the Ardun heads for TROG?

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Where is the grill from? Looks good.

4. ian_seven

ian_seven

If only! We just picked that engine up at Don Fergusson's shop, actually. The heads have a little 200mph club history behind 'em, I guess. But no, I thinky my car is at about the complete other end of the hot rod spectrum as the car that Ardun is going into!

Here's a closer look at that sucker:

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

The Don King motor?

6. ian_seven

ian_seven

The grille, (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) is from a '38 Ford truck. I've always liked them, and there was one handy, with radiator to boot, so that's what we're using. Basically, we're trying to build this car on a shoe string budget, it's whatever we can put our hands on cheaply...

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

37 pickup grille.

ian_seven likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

We call them barrel-ford (like in keg), I thought it look like them. But was not sure.

Is it my memory going bad, or did PU have chrom trim pieces in grill, and truck dident?

9. ian_seven

ian_seven

Ah, thanks. Y'know, I'd been saying it was a '37 pickup grille, but someone (incorrectly) corrected me at some point. Oh well.

And you were pretty much right about those Ardun heads, though it's Doug King, not Don. (I had to check with the owner again, myself.) He provided me with the following article, which states that those heads were purchased by Doug in Iowa, where I see that you hail from. Might you know anything about 'em?

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/guestcolumnists/richardscorner/A-Visit_With_Doug_King/

10. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, Doug King, the boxing promoter. o_O

I know one guy who used to live in Iowa City like the link says, and he had an Ardun back then. But not sure if he had two sets. He still has his set. Pretty sure it's an early set.

ian_seven likes this.
  11. Your T is great looking , checks all the boxes for a period lakes racer!

ian_seven likes this.
  12. ian_seven

ian_seven

Well, I mean, his hair had to get like that somehow, right? 200mph in a roadster will do that to you!

And, wow. It is a small world, ain't it?

13. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty small world. Even smaller considering the guy I knew in Iowa City is also a HAMBer now. But now he lives in Arizona.

ian_seven likes this.
  14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I dig the T.

ian_seven likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

Love it! Any pics from the back that show the turtle deck better?

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The grill is '37 Ford truck. The '38-'39 truck grills were oval-shaped.

ian_seven likes this.
  17. striper

striper

Good to see you are still hard at it Ian. I'll look for it in this year's TROG coverage.

Pete

ian_seven likes this.
  18. ian_seven

ian_seven

Yeah, Pete!

Great to hear from you! We're gettin' pretty close to done, so yeah, it should be there. If you check any of the other photos/footage, you're likely to see Clay's blue '29 with the big number 3 on the door. But coverage or not, it should be a pretty awesome adventure, and I'm looking forward to it.

Hope you and yours are all doing well. Sheesh, come to think of it, it may have been a pretty summer for you, work wise...

19. ian_seven

ian_seven

Well, yeah, I do, but it's a little like swiss cheese. See what I mean? It's... what we had on hand, so it's what went on the car.

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  20. striper

striper

Second week of Feb is usually "all hands" at work but this year it's been quiet. Had a bit of hot weather this week but nothing extreme. It's weird... nothing is on fire. Not complaining.

I haven't been on here much lately so I have a lot of progress on a lot of projects to catch up on, yours included. Keep at it. Looking great.

ian_seven likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Nothing wrong with that, looks good. I'm doing a '26 with an earlier turtle deck like yours and I also mounted it just above the frame but without subrails like you have, just wanted to see what it looks like. I like it.

22. ian_seven

ian_seven

Cool, thanks!

23. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

The T has a fresh style

24. cretin

cretin

Any updates on this? Did ya finish it? I'm working on a T that will be a similar style