Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall For A 31 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

U-235, thanks for the reply. Great story, 36 Mercedes, huh. That's just almost unbelievable, who woulda thunk it?
    I don't think I'll ever see one in person.

2. U-235

U-235

Here is a picture

Attached Files:

3. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

My friend Here in Carthage, Frank Saferite, a fellow Hamber, saw my post and told me he had two workable 32 firewalls...so I'm going to go that route...you end up with about the same motor clearance as running a backwards 31 firewall ...its good to have friends, and its good to be a member here:)

4. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

I was still waiting to see more of the flat 32 firewall that Elpolacka builds? I looked at his business web page and haven't found them. Good score Mark on yours!

5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

The same guy Frank I mentioned in the above post has a 32, 5 window, waiting in line for a build and it has an aftermarket 32 replica straight firewall...not sure where it came from but it looked just fine

6. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

I you find out..... Please let me know. I'm still gathering parts! Goin try to have a real solid plan before I start. Thanks, Mark.

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I think its a Brookville firewall, although I've seen another company selling on ebay with better prices, but my not be the same quality...heres a pic of what it looked like,,this is a brookville...the one in the pic doesnt have the feet on it, but the feet come with it B-1015-32-FLAT-FIREWALL.jpg

8. Bluedot

Bluedot

DSC02287.JPG It sounds like you've settled on a '32, but I'll throw in one more reversed stocker pic just in case. It gains a lot of engine room and we did not cut any section out of it to re-weld in. The only part we cut out was around the bellhousing, and a little trimming for pedals and column.

Francis bruno likes this.
  9. shop teacher

shop teacher

There is an aluminum firewall on Minneapolis,MN C/L for $30

10. Weird A

Weird A

^^ that's a 2 piece firewall.

11. mullskull

mullskull

I squeezed a olds rocket in my 30/31 pick up by reversing the stock firewall.
    There is a great thread on the subject... Pretty straight forward, and looks bitchin!

12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Ok..gonna get this tread goin again...we have cut out the butchered firewall from my 31 coupe and I'm ready to get back at putting in another firewall. Heres the debate in my head...go with the 32 which I will post pics of, or get a stock 31 and reverse /flip it....any and all suggestions welcome ...heres the car with no firewall... 31 coupe 018.JPG 31 coupe 019.JPG 31 coupe 018.JPG 31 coupe 020.JPG 31 coupe 021.JPG

13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

heres pics of the 32 firewall I have... 31 coupe 022.JPG
    31 coupe 023.JPG 31 coupe 025.JPG 31 coupe 026.JPG

14. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I really like this look..much the same as the 32....I'm gonna miss the bulbis look of the 31 though....so many decisions!!:eek:

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

guess i'm leaning toward the stock firewall flipped....not sure I want to cut on the cowl to fit the 32 firewall

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've read about flipping stock "A" firewalls around a million times, but still don't understand how that works. Stock, it goes down fairly straight then goes IN at the bottom. Reversing it would make it go OUT at the bottom, no??? I've actually taken them out, flipped them and decided it was easier to go with a recess. That red coupe looks great; no interference with the tranny? ( and yes , I like white)

Attached Files:

17. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I get that flipping the 31 takes the bulbis 4" and turns it inside to gain room...but I'm with you Mike...I dont know how that lower shelf would work out:(

18. 46Chief

46Chief

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

I used an old differential cover in a stock model A firewall.

Attached Files:

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

You should be able to get a stock firewall at a swap meet for 50 to 75 bucks in real good shape. Then only take out what you have to so it will work. Most anything's better than that mess you started with! ( and you got rid of the "bowl of spaghetti" wiring too- good move).Do it right once so you can drive the wheels off it after. Good luck with it.

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

That turned out cool..looks like my distributor should fit in that relief

21. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Very well done!...I think I'll order a 31 firewall instead of looking for a used one that has other issues...my firewall is just to hacked up to reuse..:(

D-Russ likes this.
  22. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

If I can find a stocker in decent shape I will go that route..otherwise I will buy a repop...thanks Mike!

23. Joel W

Joel W

I have a stock 30 firewall of you are interested in some trading, my coupe already had the Corel cut and one of those 32 firewalls would work good!

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I love 32 firewalls for their looks but, a 30/31 is pretty damned nice to look at too. And if you do a decent amount of work to cleanly fit your engine to one they can even be more attractive. Do it to it.

25. 41 C28

41 C28

I believe a previous post said a wheel barrel firewall looked like a wheel barrel shoved in the firewall. A wheel barrel worked pretty good for me. I did have to widen it a bit to go around the 330 Hemi in my A coupe. fw5.jpg IMG_3330.jpg

mike bowling likes this.
  26. JJonesey

JJonesey

I just needed a little bit to clear my distributor so I did something similar and made a 1" setback just under the beaded peak. I really like the rounded look of the original and I felt that flipping it or using and aftermarket one with a huge setback section would have really taken away from that area.

Attached Files:

27. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thats looks killer...I do love the 31 firewalls bulbis look...I think I'm gonna trade my 32 to Joel in an above post, for his orig 30 firewall

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Now you're talkin' , Mark me boy!----BTW- "41 c28" - that wheelbarrow in-fill looks really good and you probably needed the room for that hemi! Yoiks!

29. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

:rolleyes:;)

30. 41 C28

41 C28

I sure did need the room and used all of it. Thanks.