Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pete Eastwood built 29' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, May 30, 2014.

1. Thank You Lynn, that means a lot. I'm trying hard to do the car the justice it deserves.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The remark I had made some posts back about the shell appearing 'high' was due to the one in-shop photo, so belay that! (my mistake!)
    Your efforts have reproduced a car with proportions that are pure '29 Hiboy.
    Yeah, I'd call that the justice it deserves... Kudos!

3. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Looking good. Cant wait to see it somewhere this summer.

4. No problem and Thanks, I will definitely be spending some time to get all the front sheet metal dialed in.

5. Got an "ice" day today so I have been picking at the front sheet metal trying to figure out the best way to reverse build what is here.

Attached Files:

6. And the reason for the blister in the hood side is obvious when looking from this view.

Attached Files:

7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

WOW!!!!!! Thanks for all the updates and the photos. Are you going to put a heat shield on the exhaust under the starter? Your work so far looks very good and your thinking appears to be right on, you are going to enjoy this hot rod when you are finished......................

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Liked that highboy from the garage cars feature in R&C on, hope you hold true to Petes original build.Lookn' real good so far!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. Thanks, not sure what I'm gonna do on the starter for a heat shield. Maybe just pop start it if it gives me trouble!

10. Thanks Bowie,
    I really wish I could find the original set of Kelsey's that were on the car. I think it would be cool to have steelies, Kelsey's, and 5 spokes to swap around on the car!

bowie and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Hopefully gonna take the roadster back to the shop soon so I can really start getting going on progress.

Attached Files:

12. sota

sota

Looking good Jim

13. Thanks Ed,
    Hope your all thawed out in the big city!

14. sota

sota

Jim yea we thawed out but woke up to this shit this morning!

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Weather wise I know exactly what you mean. Yep I live in the sunny south......................

16. I started to strip the paint off the hood sides today and I'm curious if any of you guys that knew Vince know the paint history on this car. I always assumed that the yellow paint was original and someone added the graphics later. When I got the yellow pearl off there was grey primer underneath that came right off. Under the Grey was another yellow that is more pale and solid. Just wondering if any of you guys knew the details? I was under the impression from Pete that the car got some upgrades later on like graphics, steel wheels, and an automatic transmission.

Attached Files:

17. The pale yellow seems to be right over the bare aluminum. Any of you guys that painted back in the day think this was a primer?

Attached Files:

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Does the magazine article (of which I don't have a copy of) mention a color?..............

19. No, I believe Vince had the car painted after Pete built it. I talked to my dad who painted back in the 60's and 70's and he said that they used to used a zinc chromate primer on aluminum that was a pale yellow color. The more I look at it I can't imagine they would have painted right over bare aluminum. It doesn't really matter but I just thought the pearl yellow was the color the car always was. The graphics have a hard edge like they were painted right over the yellow. The back side of all the aluminum parts are bare aluminum.

20. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

That looks like zinc chromate primer to me. Always hard to tell how accurately a monitor reproduces colors, but the zinc chromate I used on aluminum stuff back in the early 80's was yellow with a bit of a green-ish cast to it. Ugly color really, but back then it was the only thing you could use as the first coat on aluminum to get the other primers, paint, etc to stick.

Later on, around 1990 or so, it became near impossible to get zinc chromate primer because of the health dangers of any chromate solutions. PPG had an aluminum primer they called ZIP which was zinc iron phosphate that most people used as a replacement for zinc chromate. The ZIP primer is more of a dead olive drab sort of color. Epoxy primer will stick to aluminum so as epoxies gained wider use in automotive paint work they sorta replaced the need for special primers on aluminum.

21. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. It definitely looks like zinc chromate to me as well. As I recall, in the 80's you could even get it in a spray can.

22. Yeah, I agree with you guys. Thanks for the info.

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Jim , I sent you a reply , but after seeing these pics I have to agree with everyone else that it does look a lot like zinc chromate primer .

24. Got the Zip's drive water pump riser and everything clears. I also bought the aluminum HD water pump and AC Delco bleeder valve that is recommended in a thread on the Hamb. I wish they made one that was a little bit lower for my application. I might "section" it and 1" or so in case I need to run a bigger fan.

Attached Files:

25. Got the roadster to the shop last week and have been picking at some detail stuff. Finally got the steering worked out and I think it ties in well with the rest of the front end. Plan is to have the car ready to blow apart for paint in about 30 days. This is gonna be some late nights and June is coming soon. Also picked up an old Edelbrock C4b intake and getting all the water pump and alt mounting figured out.

Attached Files:

26. Will the steering bind if you hit a bump with it turned hard right. I noticed that it is very close with no suspension deflection.

27. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Lovin the progress

28. It's close right now but I think I can reclock the pitman arm and get some clearance. If all else fails I can flip the steering arm, bend it down and run the tie rod in from the top. I'm trying to keep the drag link from running uphill so aggressive. This f-1 with the Hairpins is a pain in the ass!

29. Looks like you're making some good progress!

30. Lookin' good!!!